• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Why the charming hellhole I work in is going to hell...

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
What happens when you're off on Monday? All of the stupid people come out of the woodwork on Tuesday!

I'm dealing with a guy that is flipping out because his property is zoned residential and his deed restrictions say commercial. On top of that, the County Appraisal District has been taxing his property as commercial. So, this seems like a no-brainer, right?!

Well, it's a tad more complicated than that. Keep in mind that this city did not have a planner on staff until a year ago when I started as an intern. My city formed from the consolidation of five other cities. So each time a city merged, you had to merge all of the policies along with it. It was all fine until the larger city took in the smaller city and both of them had zoning regulations in place. As it turns out, I can find no evidence of the smaller city doing public hearings. What's worse, when the cities came together their was no public hearing about consolidating the two zoning maps. Basically, we have part of our city that was zoned illegally, and the guy I mentioned above is in that area. I've already told him the city would cover the zoning change fees, but that simply isn't good enough for him. He is convinced that we should not have to do all of the notices since they possibly weren't done the first time and is even more pissed that his zoning change is not on the agenda for tonight (couldn't because of the above mentioned public hearing requirements). Now he is threatening to "take it to another level" if I can't produce proof that the notice was done properly when the zoning was applied. He has even stated that he will be at the meeting tonight to talk to me in person (threat). I have the Sheriff's office on standby just in case he flies off the handle.

And why is my city going to hell? Because the morons that founded the city were convinced it could be done with volunteers and without professional guidance. Now I'm up to my neck in **** trying to fix all of their screw ups (this is just one of many)!

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
........ Now I'm up to my neck in **** trying to fix all of their screw ups (this is just one of many)![/QUOTE said:
You have to look on the bright side. Think of how nice and well ordered your shiney new city will be when you get this mess cleaned up? And the experiences you will get with customer assistance and information provision. Map making, code enforcement possibilities, transportation planning on street mergers, GIS addressing headaches' ......ooops, I meant issues! :-D

Nobody ever threatens me for some reason. Why does everybody else get all the fun! :-}

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
GeogPlanner said:
was there a public hearing regarding the merger itself?
They at least got that one right... :-D

Most of this was just a rant because I dealt with this one issue most of the day. The nice thing is that our proposed comp plan is calling for gutting most of our ordinances (including creating a new zoning ordinance), meaning we can almost start over from scratch and get it right. That is all that is keeping me going right now---knowing that few planners get opportunities like this to have such a significant impact on a new city.

I need a beer...

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Do what you can to fix their politically expedient screw ups as they come, but on this one I wouldn't feel too guilty about bringing the municipal attorney in to help.