• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Why the low pay? Do we need a union?

steve

I spent $40,000 and 3 yrs getting a masters in urban planning but in my job searches most jobs pay only mid to high 20's for entry level jobs. Why haven't planners' pay gone up in this so-called strong economy? Maybe I should go back to my railroad clerks job that paid 30k.

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
There are times I would like to make more (who doesn't). But I did not become a public planner to become rich. I knew that going into the profession. Intangibles are or should be more important. I lick wounds when projects are defeated, and truly relish the accomplishments. I have made some differences in the communities I worked, personally worth more than the salary. After 25 years, I am slightly over $50,000, which is 'comfortable' in my small town setting. I could double that in another profession like some friends, but they are constantly facing layoffs and mergers.