• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Why Urban Outfitters is going to hell.

BKM

Cyburbian
I guess the marketing genius(es) at Abercrombie and Fitch moved to a new position at Urban Outfitters??

el Guapo

Capitalist
How is that game more or less protected than the free speech of Gangsta Rappers?

Both are equally destructive. Yet one is art and a reflection of the reality of the inner city accroding to Time-Warner and thus of deep social value.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
el Guapo said:
How is that game more or less protected than the free speech of Gangsta Rappers?

Both are equally destructive. Yet one is art and a reflection of the reality of the inner city accroding to Time-Warner and thus of deep social value.
Sure it's protected free speech. Does not make it morally right.

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
"Ghettopoly"...damn!!! :-@

I thought that I had seen it all. I guess nothing shocks and/or surprises me any more.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
This is just another piece of crap segment marketing from an unfortunately stupid and ignorant marketeer.

I live down the street from a Urban Outfitters, and I think the place is one of the most contrived conformist "nonconformist" store chains in America.

I hope Urban Outfitters gets royally screwed by this!!

BKM

Cyburbian
Geez. What's wrong with me. I agree with El Guapo! Except that Gangsta Rap (not all rap) is probably MORE destructive than any ad campaign targeted to hipsters.

It might amuse you, EG, to know that FRENCH gangtsa rap (from the suburban projects-the "Grandes Ensembles) is even more offensive, misogynistic, and violent.

I hate gangsta rap. I hate most contrived commercial youth culture though (being 40 decrepit years old), so... And, the music I listen to a lot isn't known for socially redeeming value (although some of the lyrics are quite interesting and intense).

Still, just an amazingly offensive piece of marketing. Since I am not interested in wearing thick, scratchy flannel or buying rough, primitive white good, Urban Outfitters was never on my list of stores anyway, but...

Otis

Cyburbian
Both are protected, and both are offensive.

And I gag on the defense of "Oh, yeah? Well XXX is just as bad." Maybe it is, but yours is still bad on its own.

Can you tell I do some code enforcement work?

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Ghettopoly... now that'll be a top sell.. for the KKK of course... :-|
I'd want to see if they can put a Narcopoly in Colombia or Velezuela... :p