• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Why Wisconsin deserves a fast monorail trip to PC hell!.

el Guapo

Capitalist
That's the Spirit

Organizers of a Veterans Day parade in De Pere, Wis., initially refused to allow anyone to carry firearms in it because organizers thought they carry bad karma, reports the Green Bay Press Gazette.

Not even ceremonial guns were allowed in the parade, and some veterans groups were not happy about it. "The [parade organizing] committee felt that kids have been watching war and killing people for the first half of this year and we didn’t need that in a happy event like our parade," said Jason Paul, chairman of the De Pere Kiwanis Memorial Day Parade. After a public outcry, however, the organizers relented.

Source: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,88303,00.html

el Guapo note: What kind of people do you have up there?

Repo Man

Cyburbian
That is absurd. These are the same idiots who have the zero tolerance policy towards guns or things that look like guns in school. There was a case where they wanted to expel a kid because he brought a dinosaur shaped squirt gun to school. Use a little common sense!

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
stupid stupid stoooooopid!

The idiots are winning. I'm moving to North Dakota.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Repo Man said:
That is absurd. These are the same idiots who have the zero tolerance policy towards guns or things that look like guns in school. There was a case where they wanted to expel a kid because he brought a dinosaur shaped squirt gun to school. Use a little common sense!

Oh you must not have gotten the memo. Common sense was outlawed in the US PATRIOT Act. Tom Ridge and the Department of Homeland Security have determined that, since it's anathema to government and policy makers, acts or use of common sense are subversive and therefore have no place in these great United States.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
biscuit said:
Oh you must not have gotten the memo. Common sense was outlawed in the US PATRIOT Act. Tom Ridge and the Department of Homeland Security have determined that, since it's anathema to government and policy makers, acts or use of common sense are subversive and therefore have no place in these great United States.
I would blame it on the ultra-left Michael Moore-ish anti-gun crowd myself.

BKM

Cyburbian
I think its an unholy combination of the loony left and spooky Patriot Act type thinking, myself. Neither side of the divide can be excused from this kind of thinking.

Its not only "liberals" that demand our schools turn into zero-tolerance zones. After all, the whole "zero tolerance" comes from the drug war, which is not really a "Michael Moore" issue.

prudence

Cyburbian
What ifyou slipped a condom over the barrel of the gun??...That implies safety...everybody should be happy.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I think when it involves banning guns, even if they are fake, in a parade, the left is to blame. When it is zero tolerance or mandatory minimum sentencing laws for drug related crimes, it is the right that is to blame. Both sides of the spectrum have issues that they are irrational on.

Last edited: