• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Why Wisconsin Is Going To Hell #1

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
There was this stupid referendum on our April 1st ballots asking if hunting and traping should be an unquestionable right subject only to reasonable legal restrictions. Now some idiot politico says this

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I really wondered about that stupid amendment. I like the sugggestion of the right to drink beer...I'd support that!

The problem that I have with that hunting & fishing amendment is that it is stupid. People already have the right to hunt and fish. For a state that has huge budget problems, do we really need to spend all this money amending the constitution?

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Absolutely in agreement. Come on, do we really need a constitutional right to hunt and fish. Can anyone say knee-jerk reactionary? Hunting is part of the Wisconsin lifestyle. It is protected (and regulated) through a number of laws that stand no real chance of ever being repealed unless we give deer and fish the right to vote. A constitutional amendment is nothing more than stupidity and a waste of time.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
My best guess is this is a response to the public outcry over their pushing of a law to allow people to hunt Mourning Doves

http://www.jsonline.com/news/state/jan00/dove17s1011600a.asp

I do not feel that hunting is a right. It is a privelege granted to people who buy a license. I have no problems with hunting, I just think that hunters will use this to push for other types of hunting that is now prohibited.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Our Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources is schitzophrenic when it comes to animals. Our DNR has reintroduced species such as wolves and elk to the state, listed them as endangered, and then openly discussed allowing them to be hunted.

Jfortin is right about this coming out of defeated proposals to allow hunting of mourning doves and sandhill cranes. Issues like these have angered people who support hunting but do not think every animal should be killed once the population reaches some magic number, like 300 for wolves. On the other hand, you have some rabid folks out there who would like to kill every animal they encounter.

The other likely factor is the conversion of forest and farm land to urban development in the southern parts of the state, and its conversion to vacation properties in the north. This has reduced the acreage of land open to hunting in the state. There is a perception, perhaps real, that hunting is being excluded from more parts of the state.