• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Why Wisconsin is going to hell #3

Habanero

Cyburbian
I just got this out of the US Today.. I really hope it's not true!

MADISON, Wis. — The Dixie Chicks might not be welcome in some parts of the country, but a Wisconsin politician wants the country music trio to know they have a home in Madison. Alderman Ken Golden this week proposed a resolution that calls for the City Council to play a Dixie Chicks CD during meeting breaks and directs the mayor to present the Chicks with keys to the city, French wine and a suitable welcome should they ever visit. The Dixie Chicks became the target of boycotts and bans after lead singer Natalie Maines made critical comments about President Bush last month in London. Maines apologized, but some radio stations have banned the Texas group's music and some people have destroyed the band's CDs. The resolution also encourages the band to change their name to the "Heartland Chicks" or "Dairyland Chicks." The council will consider the resolution next week.

I think I'd have to laugh if City Council fired up a cd player and played "Earl"- hee.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I am happy to report that, while Madison is known for some pretty wacky ideas, this was actually introduced tongue-in-cheek. The media are all covering it as if it were seriously intended. Everyone knows that the city's official musical group is the Indigo Girls. Or maybe Melissa Ethridge.

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
I think the fact that they wanted to serve "French" wine makes me laugh more than anything. You know if this story were real, in Wisconsin, the Dixie Chicks would be served beer.