• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Why Wisconsin Is Going to Hell #6

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
For G*ds sake?! A Meat Hall of Fame?!

A quote: "For instance, Ted Sloan, who died in 1987, was the inventor of the "hot-dog highway." Gee all this time I thought Kerouac was the inventor of.... oh never mind.

prudence

Cyburbian
bturk said:
Reminds of the Simpsons...

Homer (to Bart about to eat bacon at breakfast): "Butter up that bacon boy."

(Bart butters his bacon before eating it.)

Homer (to Bart as he is about to eat sausage): "Bacon up that sausage."

(Bart wraps bacon around the sausage and then eats it.)

Bart (as he is cheweing, utters): "Dad, my heart hurts."

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I can't believe that the editors let that title stick "Four top dogs inducted into meat industry hall of fame"

Mmmmm dog meat!

I guess I shouldn't comment on the Journal's editors afterall they printed the headline "Friends remember Clark as a real down to earth person" (or something along those lines) when the Space Shuttle Columbia exploded killing Wisconsinite Laurel Clark.

prudence

Cyburbian
jtfortin said:
I guess I shouldn't comment on the Journal's editors afterall they printed the headline "Friends remember Clark as a real down to earth person" (or something along those lines) when the Space Shuttle Columbia exploded killing Wisconsinite Laurel Clark.
I know I am insensitive, but THAT"S funny.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I remember back in the early 90s the Green Bay Press Gazette wrote an article about former Gov. Tommy Thompson's line item veto power. The was supposed to read "Thompson's Pen Is A Sword" Instead the headline Read Thompson's PenIs A Sword" I guess it was a typesetting error.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
jtfortin said:
I remember back in the early 90s the Green Bay Press Gazette wrote an article about former Gov. Tommy Thompson's line item veto power. The was supposed to read "Thompson's Pen Is A Sword" Instead the headline Read Thompson's PenIs A Sword" I guess it was a typesetting error.
I still have a photo copy of that somewhere.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member

More inductees into the Meat Hall of Fame

Finally, the North Korea Meat Hall of Fame

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
It cracked me up when I was in Madion, WI a few weeks ago that Oscar Mayer was the corporate namesake for that city's Center for the Performing Arts. Must be a carnivore's (and cheeselover's) paradise.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
jtfortin said:
I can't believe that the editors let that title stick "Four top dogs inducted into meat industry hall of fame"
Did you miss the heading, "First Wiener Tunnel?"

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
bturk said:
I still have a photo copy of that somewhere.
I'd love to have a copy of that headline to give to my wife. :)

Seabishop

Cyburbian
In Madrid I saw the Museo de Jamon - or "Museum of Ham." The Spanish are nuts over ham. Ruffles sells ham flavored chips there - they taste like barbeque. The museum just looked like a bunch of ham hanging from the ceiling. The picture's not mine.

prudence

Cyburbian
jtfortin said:
Damn monks. Gutenberg would be very displeased.

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
QUOTE]In Madrid I saw the Museo de Jamon - or "Museum of Ham." The Spanish are nuts over ham. [/QUOTE]

Tell me about it. I lived in Madrid for a semester in college. I don't eat meat and got very skinny after a few months of struggling to find decent food. Spain's an awesome place, though.

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
prudence said:
Mmmmmm...bacon.
This thread made me think of a great Simpsons episode where Lisa was trying to explain to Homer the animal origins of different meats.

I don't remember Lisa's exact quote, but she told Homer that bacon, ham and pork all come from pigs. Homer then scratched his head and said something like... "hmmm....all those wonderful delicacies all come from the same animal?"

I think the same episode had some goofy character explaining to Lisa that he's a "vegan to the fifth degree" since he doesn't "eat anything that casts a shadow." funny stuff

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
prudence said:
Damn monks. Gutenberg would be very displeased.
Why? I dont remember any monks in Police Academy, Police Adacemy II, Police Academy III....

Repo Man

Cyburbian
bturk said:
Why? I dont remember any monks in Police Academy, Police Adacemy II, Police Academy III....
..and like just about everything else in life, the Simpsons chime in:

"We live in a society of laws. Why do you think I took you to all those Police Academy movies? For fun? Well, I didn't hear anybody laughin', did you?"