• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

WILDFIRES in Western U.S. & Canada *2020 pandemic edition*

This is the "2020 pandemic edition" because
the abundance of Covid-19 cases make evacuation of
wildfire areas far more difficult:

Are people in wildfire areas more reluctant to evacuate,
and then more reluctant to stay in shelters,
because shelters can not ensure protection from Covid-19?
Exactly what are the shelters doing about Covid-19 situations?

Website with interactive map of wildfires
in western states in the U.S.:

The right margin has a list of active
wildfires
in California, with info on:

• acreage
  • percentage of wild fire containment
  • time/date of latest info

The interactive wildfire map shows, as expected,
that by far the largest number of wildfires are in California.

There are also wildfires in:
Oregon, Washington State,
Arizona, New Mexico,
Nevada, Utah, Colorado,
Idaho, Wyoming, Montana.

I did not expect to see one sizable wildfire in Northern Texas.
It is north of Amarillo, on the N.W. side of Lake Meredith.

I also did not expect to see a wildfire in S.E. Colorado
that is raging on the border of Oklahoma.

The following website has an interactive, up-to-date map
of wildfires in Canada:

This map shows, as expected, that the Canadian wildfires
are concentrated in the Southwest-most provinces.
There are also large swaths of wildfires in Canada's
Southeastern seaboard.

TOFB

Cyburbian
Our son is currently five blocks from the evacuation zone in Santa Cruz. He is going to Las Vegas if he has to leave. Sand gets hot but doesn't burn.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
My BIL's ex recently had to move into a friend's place after both her house and her parents house (literally next door) burned to the ground.

DVD

Cyburbian
We're getting haze and cooler temps from these fires. I like the cooler temps, but the haze is killing our air quality. Damn California finding another way to screw up a perfectly good state.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
In-laws' family have already lost two homes now my BIL's house is threatened.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I have been hearing some tragic stories in regards to the west coast wildfires. The stories of the loss of life, property damage, and environmental issues are just overwhelming. I know some of the folks in here are dealing the the smoke and haze from it.

Moving forward, what policies and regulations do you think would help to minimize events like this? I ask because it happens more and more frequently right now, and I know that fires are part of the cyclical nature of that environment, but I don't think that they are to this scale.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I think the communities where these fires are most prevalent and destructive need to take a serious look at their development patterns and where they allow new housing to be built. It's a tough pill to swallow, but until people realize that sure its beautiful, but if you build in heavily wooded areas that get little rainfall in the best of years, you're setting yourself up for disaster.

It's up to state governments, the BLM, and local municipalities to put meaningful limits on where people can build, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

That leaves things up to the insurance companies. Unlike flood policies, which the federal government underwrites and subsidizes thereby incentivizing people to build in hurricane and flood-prone areas, there isn't such a program with these wildfire-prone areas. At some point (and maybe it's already happening on a micro scale), private insurers are going to stop offering policies in some of these areas or making them exorbitantly expensive and disincentivizing people from (re)building there

Mon Sept 14, 2020
California Governor Gavin Newsom Confronts Donald Trump On Climate Change, Wildfires: “57% Of The Land In This State Is Federal”

Wade Crowfoot, California's Natural Resources Secretary, told Trump that blaming insufficient forest management ignores a large part of the story: climate science. This conversation followed:
(SOUNDBITE OF ARCHIVED RECORDING)
WADE CROWFOOT: If we ignore that science and sort of put our head in the sand and think it's all about vegetation management, we're not going to succeed together protecting Californians.
PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: OK. It'll start getting cooler. You just watch.
CROWFOOT: I wish science agreed with you.
(LAUGHTER)
TRUMP: Well, I don't think science knows, actually.
Source:

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Trump awards Distinguished Flying Cross to guardsmen who helped rescue hundreds from wildfires

The award recognizing acts of heroism and extraordinary achievement in aerial flight

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Trump awards Distinguished Flying Cross to guardsmen who helped rescue hundreds from wildfires
Query: why isn't the title of that article "Guardsmen who helped rescue hundreds from wildfires awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross"
I mean why should that other name mentioned be sharing a headline with those brave heroes?

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Probably because when you mentioned that POTUS was awarding an honor to someone it was impressive and meant something. Back in the day . . . .