• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Willpower - I have none

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Bought a box of Girl-Guide cookies off a co-worker this morning. Ate the whole freakin' box (save one cookie) on my own. I feel gross.

But I'd probably do it again if I had the chance.

Anyone else out there have willpower issues?

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Yes, those cookies were marketed in single serving containers on purpose. 8-!

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
Chocolate is my weakness. There is an evil temptress here at work that has a whole easter basket full of various delecatable delights. My thighs have enough issues without her ruining my will power with those treats.

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
My weaknesses are Girl Scout cookies (Do-si-dos) and Hershey with almonds candy bars!!! Those cookies don't stand a chance in my possession! Damn those girl scouts for making such addictive cookies! ;-) :-D

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
three words

Chocolate Chip Cookies

(only fresh home-made)

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I like the Coconut ones and the chocolate covered peanut butter ones. Not sure of their cutsey name.

My weaknesses are Reisen candies and those Hershey's Treasures.

JNL

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:
Bought a box of Girl-Guide cookies off a co-worker this morning. Ate the whole freakin' box (save one cookie) on my own.
It's Girl Guide cookie season here too! (they usually sell them once a year for a few weeks). But they come in plastic packets not boxes. I bought a pack and ate half in one go. No guilt, I enjoyed them!

Wulf9

As a protection against the propensity to eat the whole thing, I have developed a set of dietary rules.

No free food

Very little sugar

Watch out for anything round

It works pretty well (when and if followed)

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
Probably sounds strange in light of all of the cookies in this topic, but my weakness is cheese, especially strong cheese.

And Samoas. Mmmmm, caramelly.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Were they "Thin Mints" ?
YUM :-}
I don't buy my own, I just eat what others in office leave out on break table.

BKM

Cyburbian
Wish I could follow Wulf's logical rules.

For me, its not so much the Girl Scout cookies, its chocolates in general. Full-fat milkshakes from Double Rainbow (it should read double artery clot) yum.

O/T: I always loved Ben And Jerry's hippy pronouncements that their milk was RGBH free-this in a carton with 50 grams of SATURATED fat. What's going to hurt you more? (Not that I have anything against organic milk-it simply tastes better)

Queen B

Cyburbian
I was just thinking about that earlier.
I believe that it is manditory to eat a whole box of Girl Scout Cookies in one sitting at least once a year.
So says the Queen.....

JNL

Cyburbian
JNA said:
Were they "Thin Mints" ?
Girl Guide cookies only come in vanilla flavour here. Plus a chocolate coated vanilla variation. Maybe we can trade when I come to visit, Tranplanner :) (BTW has been difficult to get to the travel agents so the plan is to book & confirm tonight)

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
Girl Scout cookies come in a dangerously large number of variations here. I'm probably leaving a few out, but there's:
Thin Mints--little crispy minty chocolate cookies covered in chocolate
Samoas--shortbready cookies covered in caramel, toasted coconut, and chocolate. Completely decadent.
Do-si-do's--I think those are the peanut butter ones? Shortbread with a circle of peanut butter on top, completely covered in chocolate (notice a theme here?)
There's also double chocolate chip, plain shortbread, lemony cookies with powdered sugar....
We had a few boxes lying around the office. They never lasted long. I could go for a (box of) Samoa(s) right now....

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Plannerbabs said:
Samoas--shortbready cookies covered in caramel, toasted coconut, and chocolate.
Ooooh...sounds good (except for the coconut). In your first post I though you said Somosas...I had never heard of a caramel Somosa before :)

Girl Guide cookies come out twice a year here - Springtime is the chocolate creme/vanilla creme version, Fall is the mint crisp w/chocolate coating.

Thanks QueenB, I feel better now!

BKM

Cyburbian
I have two more words on the subject of No Willpower:

Indian Buffet.

I felt like the character from Monty Python-about to literally explode.

(Yum. Spinach with cheese, curries, veggies, and great Nan breads)

boiker

Cyburbian
I don't have uncontrollable urges to mow down chocolates. I tend to go for the salty, spicy snacks or foods.

I can eat Buffalo wings anytime. The spicier the better.

nerudite

Cyburbian
My weakness is redvines... I can go through a package in no time flat. Luckily, we don't get them up here.

Thank god we don't have any current access to Girl Scouts - its bad enough their limited edition Edy's Ice Cream is in our grocer's freezer. If you thought Samoas were good, their ice cream is amazingly 100 times better. Rob and I have been keeping a beady eye on the level to make sure we're both sticking to our oath of one small bowl per day.

JNL

Cyburbian
boiker said:
I don't have uncontrollable urges to mow down chocolates. I tend to go for the salty, spicy snacks or foods.
I swing between these - often I crave chocolate (which I eat on a daily basis), but I frequently crave salty snacks too - pistachio nuts are great for this.

Re chocolate - I have found that making a block of chocolate a regular purchase with the weekly shopping means I have it on hand when I feel like some, and I tend to eat just a couple of pieces at a time and that's enough.

BKM

Cyburbian
Downtown said:
Thank god we don't have any current access to Girl Scouts - its bad enough their limited edition Edy's Ice Cream is in our grocer's freezer. If you thought Samoas were good, their ice cream is amazingly 100 times better. Rob and I have been keeping a beady eye on the level to make sure we're both sticking to our oath of one small bowl per day.
Edy's is manufactured in my hometown! My mother is always raving about it. Its the same corporate parent as Dreyers, a west coast institution.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
My 2 boxes of Samoas lasted all of 3 days a few weeks ago.....

Dragon

Cyburbian
Cadbury eggs……..I love those things. Good thing I can only find them around Easter B-) .

My grandmothers baked good do me in too. Maybe I shouldn't go home this weekend, I know she will have some waiting.... 8-!

JNL

Cyburbian
Dragon said:
Cadbury eggs……..I love those things.
I have a packet of mini Cadbury caramello eggs in my bag... meant to be presents for family at Easter but after all this talk they are calling to me.... 8-!

SGB

Cyburbian
!@#$! fundraisers

4 words: Gertrude Hawk chocolate bars!

My boss has had a box of 'em for sale on our front counter for 2 weeks to support his daughters' dance studio.

I bought & ate the last two. :-$

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
BKM said:
Edy's is manufactured in my hometown! My mother is always raving about it. Its the same corporate parent as Dreyers, a west coast institution.

Pffft! It's Wells Blue Bunny or nothing! H'mmmm Bunnny Trackss.

BKM

Cyburbian
SGB said:
4 words: Gertrude Hawk chocolate bars!

My boss has had a box of 'em for sale on our front counter for 2 weeks to support his daughters' dance studio.

I bought & ate the last two. :-$
There is a box of See's Candy Bars in the Building Inspectors' Pen. I have resisted today...so far

You are ALL gluttonous slobs!!!! ;) :-D

Cookies, particularly chocolate chip cookies - the fresher they are, the happier I am.

Girl Scout cookies are okay - pass the Samoas this way please.

Kettle corn popcorn - the freshly-popped kind, not microwave....can't pass the stand in the mall without getting the large bag (don't bother asking me for any either)

German Chocolate Ice Cream from Baskin & Robbins -hmmm.................

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
Planderella said:
Kettle corn popcorn - the freshly-popped kind, not microwave....can't pass the stand in the mall without getting the large bag (don't bother asking me for any either)
I've asked for and received some of that popcorn! ;-) :-D

nerudite

Cyburbian
Planderella said:
You are a woman after my own heart! I LOVE fresh kettle corn. The kettle corn vendor at the farmer's market in Vancouver, WA makes it especially yummy. I haven't really seen it around up here much (except for the microwave stuff).

tsc

Cyburbian
Queen B said:
I was just thinking about that earlier.
I believe that it is manditory to eat a whole box of Girl Scout Cookies in one sitting at least once a year.
So says the Queen.....
So it be done... By Queen's orders I ate a 1/2 box (tube) of the Mint GSC..... I would have eaten a whole box... but it was all that was left.

My sister used to make Black Forest Cherry Tort with real whipped cream for icing and EXTRA whipped cream to put in the mandatory cup of coffee to wash the cake down with. I would get half a cup of coffee (in part cuz I was a kid) and a huge spoon of whipped cream in it -- and refresh it a few times with More Whipped Cream. I don't think I ever managed to partake without making myself Sick.

God that was good stuff.

That and Rolade: No Will Power whatsoever.

biscuit

Cyburbian
I confess that I don't have much of a sweet tooth - Too much sugar made me a little "energetic" so I rarely got treats and never really developed a love of all things sugary. But (and I bet kms can understand why) I can set down and eat an entire box of Sarris Candies Milk Chocolate Covered Pretzels. Hands down, about the best sweets out there.