• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

WINNIPEG Master of City Planning

bocian

Cyburbian
Well, I noticed there has been a lot of talk about planning programs lately.
I'm wondering if there are any opinions about the University of Manitoba's graduate programme in City Planning.

No one has included it in his/her best/ or worst planning schools, so what's the deal with Winnipeg?

Apparently, the graduate City Planning programme in Winnipeg is the oldest planning degree in Canada... (oldest continuous one)..

Any views?

(DON'T mention the cold weather...)

donk

Cyburbian
I can give a few comments about the winnipeg program.

Ian Wight seems like he would be a pretty interesting prof. I've met him a few times and read some of his work.

If you are interested in aboriginal/native issues the school is supposed to be pretty good.

You said to not mention the cold, but I will mention the rumoured size of mosquitos.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I am not going to comment on the school because I know nothing of it... But I will comment on the weather.

Growing up in Upper Michigan, and going to school in Marquette on the south shore of Lake Superior...

IT IS FREAKIN COLD... I have seen the actual temp at -40... for the HIGH TEMP that day... there has been measurable snow every month of the year.

And for those nights where it does get warm... the mosquitoes can grow the size of a bumble bee.

OK... now that I said that,
How is that school?

bocian

Cyburbian
One thing about the cold weather is that you can simply put some more layers of clothing on your body.

It's the HOT and HUMID weather that is really unbearable, in my view.

Also, Winnipeg is apparently THE sunniest big city in Canada, and who does not love the sun sparkling in the snow (which is quite light in Winnipeg, by the way).

Mosquitos? I'm going to Wisconsin tomorrow, can't wait to be surrounded by them - there are mosquitos in most places, so is the cold weather and these creatures just a myth about Winnipeg deterring some of us not to go there?

nerudite

Cyburbian
I've only lived in Canada for a year and a half, so I don't know too much about the various programs up here... just my experiences from dealing with the various graduates. Thus far I have not met anyone from the Winnipeg program. Most of the planners around here did a stint in Ontario somewhere or are from U of Sask. There's the occasional weirdo (like me) that did their study in the States, as well.

Sorry... no buzz to speak of about Winnipeg (except for the on-going mosquito comments).