• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Winter retractable bollards; contacts in Leipzig

Bookworm

Cyburbian
Anyone with experience with retractable bollards in winter locales? I've found one installation, in Leipzig.

Does anyone have any contacts in Leipzig?

Thanks!

DVD

Cyburbian
I'd start looking around DC. I'm sure there's something around there. Hoover Dam also has flip up road plates for security. Not exactly the same thing though.

Bookworm

Cyburbian
Thanks. I've seen them in several places that get only moderate snow (a category in which I might include DC), but other than Leipzig, not in a very snowy city. NYC wall street has something similar, but it is really different, manned infrastructure.

We're concerned about plowing and maintenance, especially salt.

Thanks though!

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
They use a form of them on the Mid-Hudson Bridge in Poughkeepsie, NY -- definitely a snowy city. The bridge is 3 lane so they actually get moved daily to switch the direction of the center lane.

I'd recommend against them in all weather for purely personal reasons. I had a truck clip one and it flipped up, coming straight down into my windshield. It does some damage, let me tell you! (Thank God I kept it together mid-way over the Hudson River and didn't crash!!) I don't think they're worth the risk.