• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

wireless cyburbia

boiker

Cyburbian
dan, please tell me i can access the forums via a wireless device, such as an internet capable cell phone?

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
boiker you trying to get in teh clube a little faster, are ya? ;-)

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
It depends on your carrier and equipment. There's no special wireless-enabled version of Cyburbia, although I've tried visiting the site using wireless devices, and it works most of the time.

On my Internet-enabled Sharp phone, on the Sprint network, the main Cyburbia page doesn't load; I get a bunch of jibberish. The Palm and Windows-based PDAs issued by the GSM cellular networks in the US should work, I've been told. The Forums look fine using Opera on my Sharp Zaurus 5500 (a Linux based PDA) when I'm using a WiFi card.

boiker

Cyburbian
Dan said:
It depends on your carrier and equipment. There's no special wireless-enabled version of Cyburbia, although I've tried visiting the site using wireless devices, and it works most of the time.

On my Internet-enabled Sharp phone, on the Sprint network, the main Cyburbia page doesn't load; I get a bunch of jibberish. The Palm and Windows-based PDAs issued by the GSM cellular networks in the US should work, I've been told. The Forums look fine using Opera on my Sharp Zaurus 5500 (a Linux based PDA) when I'm using a WiFi card.
my cell is on the sprint network, it's a samsung phone. The pages all load, I just don't get graphics.. only TONS and TONS of text that takes forever to get through.

I just didn't know if you were planning on a WAP version of the site or not.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Does hooking up my $10.00 (after rebate) wireless router to my broadband cable modem and typing this message into my work laptop at home without any wires being harmed in the making of this post count?

Wireless broadband on a crisp widescreen laptop almost makes up for the lack of flying cars we were promised we would be driving by now!

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
el Guapo said:
Wireless broadband on a crisp widescreen laptop almost makes up for the lack of flying cars we were promised we would be driving by now!

Check this out. You could even use the neighbors connection, or post here from the entire neighborhood.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
This is an old thread, but there's an update.

If you're using a Web-enabled handheld device, you can view the Forums easier through the PDA-enabled archive. You have to view the regular site to post, though. I'm looking at some optional templates that are more PDA-friendly.