• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Word for the day

JNL

Cyburbian
Word for the day: wanderlust

Isn't this a great word? Dictionary defines it as 'an eagerness for wandering or travelling', of German origin.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
yes - it's the 'lust' suffix that makes it a great word.
Does anyone else think 'bedlust' should be a word (it would mean when one has a strong urge to .........go out and buy a bed)

JNL

Cyburbian
Thank you JNA for taking me seriously! The word is interesting because of the connotations of 'lust', yet the word itself does not have a sexual meaning. Lust can just mean a passionate desire for something.

*looks disdainfully at michaelskis* Some of us are above that sort of juvenile tomfoolery :p

michaelskis

Cyburbian
JNL said:
*looks disdainfully at michaelskis* Some of us are above that sort of juvenile tomfoolery :p
Or is it everyone else thinking wrong things when I could have been thinking an entirely differently... nothing in my statement had any distinctive negative connotation.

Maybe I was thinking about how much I would like a soda right now but I gave it up for Lent? Especially considering Maister just asked me if I would get him one when I ran down to the break room, but I am not suppose to tell what I gave up for lent???

Maybe everyone else just stereotypes me into thinking that my mind is in the gutter….

That hurts you know… do you know how hard it is to be 25, single, fit, with a good job and great friends, and still have a strong since of faith, when all the world stereotypes people like me, thinking that I am some lust driven pervert?

JNL

Cyburbian
michaelskis -you're being oversensitive! My comment about tomfoolery was meant in a joking way too. From your initial post it's hard not to think you're meaning something sexual... otherwise you could have said you wanted a soda!

No offence intended :)

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
michaelskis said:
Or is it everyone else thinking wrong things when I could have been thinking an entirely differently... nothing in my statement had any distinctive negative connotation.

Maybe I was thinking about how much I would like a soda right now but I gave it up for Lent? Especially considering Maister just asked me if I would get him one when I ran down to the break room, but I am not suppose to tell what I gave up for lent???

Maybe everyone else just stereotypes me into thinking that my mind is in the gutter….

That hurts you know… do you know how hard it is to be 25, single, fit, with a good job and great friends, and still have a strong since of faith, when all the world stereotypes people like me, thinking that I am some lust driven pervert?
Michaelskis you lying punk.....
We KNOW what you were thinking. The length of your response is inversely proportionate to your innocence in this matter

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Some genius tourism dude for the state of Indiana many years ago decided that the state's license plate slogan ought to be "wander". Of course, the bureaucracy thought it was great and thus it came to pass.

Many of us who lived outside the state and kept seeing these plates with "Wander" on them thought that "Wander County, Indiana" must be HUGE:-D

michaelskis

Cyburbian
JNL said:
michaelskis -you're being oversensitive! My comment about tomfoolery was meant in a joking way too. From your initial post it's hard not to think you're meaning something sexual... otherwise you could have said you wanted a soda!

No offence intended :)
Parts of my rant post was being sarcastic… I have gotten use to people misjudging me. It happens all the time.

But I was thinking about soda because I only had once cup of coffee this morning, so the lack of caffeine headache is overwhelming right now

No offence taken. :-}

oulevin

Cyburbian
When I first heard it, I knew it. I loved what it meant, and how it sounded. One of my favorite words.

sisterceleste

Cyburbian
1979 said:
I joined the Planning workforce in 1979...vintage year..I was an environmental planner back then before Reagan got elected and killed all the environemental planning jobs.

I still have a wanderlust for traveling....

Dragon

Cyburbian
DecaturHawk said:
I suffer from it. Get me outta here!
I too know the feeling. On Fridays, I almost can’t get out of town fast enough. I must be experiencing some sort of post-college depression.

JNL

Cyburbian
I think once you have it, it just gets stronger. I caught it this year, hence my upcoming world trip which is intended to give me a taste of a few different places, to satisfy the wanderlust for a while, and figure out where I want to go back to next time!

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I have an incurable case. Of course, I have never sought treatment. I just feed my addiction with long road trips.

nerudite

Cyburbian
I've always had the wanderlust really bad... to the point that I used to just hop in the car on a Friday not quite knowing where I'd end up. A friend of mine made up a new word for my little trips: debventures (my name being Deb, of course). I've also been abroad several times, including a solo trip to Cairo when I was at my most adventurous.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
michaelskis said:
WHAT???? I am not thinking anything???
I didnt read the rest of this thread yet. but when I get done, if Michelle Zone hasn't hit this one out of the park I'll be very disappointed. ;)

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
BiteMeElmo said:
Makes me shudder to think of all the times you may not have been one...
OMG I laughed so hard I got muscle cramps in my side. OW OW OW OW Thanks Elmo!

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
At my previous job in another county, I played "word of the day" with my boss for years. I scoured the dictionary for new words and sent him a new one every day, which he passed along to friends, and they had most of the day to try to figure it out before I sent the definition. His favorite was always "bellwether".

JNL

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:
I scoured the dictionary for new words

His favorite was always "bellwether".
...meaning the leading sheep of a flock, with a bell on its neck, or a ringleader *puts dictionary away again*

When I was about 9 my teachers gave up giving me spelling homework because there weren't any words in their spelling book I didn't know. So, they decided I should learn meanings of new words and get tested on them instead. So I would scour the dictionary for the longest, most obscure words I could find! Problem is, I never used them so forgot most of them pretty quickly.

I know, I was a little geeky :)

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Chet said:
I didnt read the rest of this thread yet. but when I get done, if Michelle Zone hasn't hit this one out of the park I'll be very disappointed. ;)

I know I set my self up for that one... :)

biscuit

Cyburbian
Wanderlust. What a great word and a wonderful condition to have. I've had it my entire life and the more I've traveled, the more places I want to go. I still haven't hit the entire lower 48 and I'm itching to get back to Europe ASAP, so I've got quite a ways to go until my Wonderlust is satisfied.

JNL, You're not the only word nerd around here. Finding obscure or arcane words and phrases, and weaving them into everyday conversation, is fun for me as well (dork that I am).

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Prying open an old thread

Callipygian.

I came across this one today and I love it. Anybody want to venture a guess?

Definition: having well-shaped buttocks. (Late 18th century. < Greek kallip&#363;gos "beautiful buttocks" (applied to a statue of Aphrodite) < kallos "beauty" + pug&#275; "buttocks")

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
In a staff meeting, I said that a certain issue was not in our bailiwick. No one understood, until the dictionaries came out.

Tom R

Cyburbian
combo

Lets try a combination: Tomfoolerbroadwicklust. It almost works.

otterpop

Cyburbian
I suscribe to the Word of the Day by Merriam Webster Online. One of my favorites of late is: kundalini \koon-duh-LEE-nee (the "oo" is as in "book")\noun, often capitalized : the yogic life force that is held to lie coiled at the base of the spine until it is aroused and sent to the head to trigger enlightenment.

Even if you can't use it in everyday language, it is still fun to say. :)

btrage

Cyburbian
douche bag
noun
Date: circa 1963
slang : an unattractive or offensive person

"That John has been really ticking me off lately. He's such a douche bag."

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Anathema. I saw read this in a court decision today and had to look up the definition: "...someone or something intensely disliked or loathed."

I challenge y'all to use the term tomorrow.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Kokomo -
not so much the city itself but what the city has done to make the news recently -
building on lots in the floodplain that were bought out with FEMA mitigation money that is in ? violation ? of the terms of the grant.

DVD

Cyburbian
RJ was surprised I knew what "anathema" meant. So I don't have to do a sentence.
I always took it as something you don't like so I guess I'm half right, but I like this definition:
b : the denunciation of something as accursed

The property I have to inspect today is an anathema!