• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

Word for the day

DVD

Cyburbian
Are you having a dreck day or did you just step in dreck?

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Today's word is "big", as in "that elephant sure is big."

Otis

Cyburbian
Couldn't you give us an easy word like confabulation.

I could have. One of the local farmers throws a huge bash every year and calls it the idiosyncratic confabulation. It is a great party, with bands, dancing, beer, and mucho de food.

But I've always liked the word "abequitate." Meaning to ride away on a horse. Which I intend to do in a couple of years, riding off into the, um, sunrise I guess since I live next to the Pacific Ocean and its hard to ride into the sunset here without getting really wet. Maybe I'll abequitate perpendicular to the sunset.

DVD

Cyburbian
I'm not a horse guy though and you can't abequitate on a Jeep (unless you call it a steel horse). At least I can choose my direction. Anyway I go is relatively flat.

Now around here people confabulate things all the time. Like the guy who was (in his words) arrested for trespassing on his own property or the guy who confabulates stories about how the appraisers trespassed on his land and screwed up his taxes because he yelled at them. I'm sure you enjoy the people who confabulate about "that person" that helped them at the counter yesterday, but they don't remember there name or if it was a guy or a girl. See, confabulate is a much more frequently use concept for our work.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
The word for Sunday morning, "ingurgitate."

This could be a better "one"...."monorchid"

Otis

Cyburbian
Today's word is "coprophagous." As in "He just sat there with a coprophagous grin on his face."

Richmond Jake

Today's word is "blatherskite." Let's use it in a sentence: Too many planners exhibit blatherskite tendencies.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Today's word is "acme" meaning the point at which someone or something is best, perfect, or most successful (and not meaning the point at which the coyote falls off a cliff wearing an Acme bat costume)

Otis

Cyburbian
Today's word is "penultimate," meaning "next to last." This also gives me the opportunity to use one of my favorites, the word "antepenultimate," meaning "the one before the next to last."

Otis

Cyburbian
Today's word is "sommambulate," meaning to sleepwalk. As in "At the hearing, staff sommambulated through its report on the request to allow yet another Macy's in SLO."

Otis

Cyburbian
Today's word id "scabrous." RJ had to inspect the scabrous dance club where his neighbor works, giving particular attention to the poles and the lap dance seats.

Otis

Cyburbian
Today's word is "ovine." Meaning "sheep-like." "All but one of the contra dancers followed Veloise's calls in an ovine manner. The other danced to calls of his own making"

Otis

Cyburbian
Today's word is "nadir," meaning low point. The opposite of acme, zenith, apex, etc.

Otis

Cyburbian
Today's word is "senescence" meaning the process or condition of growing old. Due to his senescence RJ was taking more naps.

Richmond Jake

Today's word is "senescence" meaning the process or condition of growing old. Due to his senescence RJ was taking more naps.

I going to retaliate. When you least expect it, I'm going to retaliate. But not now. I'm going to rest my eyes before we go out to dinner.

Otis

Cyburbian
Today's word is "ruminate," meaning to think deeply about something.

Otis

Cyburbian
Today's word is "pedestrian." For planners it is useful in all its meanings. (1) People who walk, (2) relating to people who walk, and (3) mundane or uninspired.

Otis

Cyburbian
Yesterday's word was "procrastination."

Today's word is "acerbic."

Otis

Cyburbian
Today's word is "incidental," meaning "happening in connection with or resulting from something more important." An accessory use is incidental to the primary use of property.

Otis

Cyburbian
Today's word is "piscine," meaning "of or concerning fish." Despite all my piscine endeavors, I have never caught a salmon.

Richmond Jake

I'm thinking to myself, "If he can't catch a salmon in the Pacific Northwest, Otis must be piscine up a rope." That's my take.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Today's word is "insidious," meaning something harmful or hurtful spreading in a subtle or stealthy way.

Richmond Jake

Today's word is "gasconade" meaning extravagant boasting. Some Cyburbians are know for their gasconade pattern of posting.