• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

Word for the day

Otis

Cyburbian
Today's word is "carper." The witness had nothing positive to say at the public hearing; her was just a carper.

Otis

Cyburbian
Today's word is "inundate." Meaning to flood or overwhelm. When we issued our proposed medical marijuana dispensary operational criteria, we were inundated with negative comments from fundamentalist churches.

Otis

Cyburbian
Today's word is "iteration." On the fourth iteration of the site plan the applicant finally got it right.

Otis

Cyburbian
Today's word is "accessory." A use is accessory if it is incidental and subordinate to the main use.

Otis

Cyburbian
Today's word is "flagrant." At 200 square feet, the sign was a flagrant violation of the city's 100 square foot maximum size requirement.

And yesterday's word was the verb "to sublime," meaning to pass directly from a solid state to a gas. Regular water ice, a solid, melts and turns into liquid water. Dry ice, on the other hand, sublimes, going directly from a solid to carbon dioxide gas.

Otis

Cyburbian
Today's word is "deviate." To stray from the norm. The variance request was tyo deviate 10 feet from the required setback.

Otis

Cyburbian
Today's word is "verisimlar." Having the appearance of truth; depicting realism. The term is rarely applied to site plans.

Otis

Cyburbian
Today's word is "toady." Meaning one who flatters in the hope of gaining favors.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Today's word is humbug

noun - a person or thing that tricks or deceives

verb
-bugs, -bugging, -bugged
to cheat or deceive (someone)

That never happens ? ;)

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Sunday's word for the day is "flocculent." It means "having or resembling tufts of wool."

Let's use this in a sentence: When we met Otis in Portland, he appeared to have flocculent on his neck. :D

Otis

Cyburbian
Sunday's word for the day is "flocculent." It means "having or resembling tufts of wool."

Let's use this in a sentence: When we met Otis in Portland, he appeared to have flocculent on his neck. :D

"Flocculent" is an adjective. So you should say "When we met Otis in Portland, his neck appeared to be flocculent." Or you could say using the noun form "When we met Otis in Portland, he appeared to have flocculence on his neck." Or even "When I met RJ and ZG in Portland, RJ's brain matter appeared to be flocculent." :D

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
The word for tday is "poop." It's never not funny.

"stern deck of a ship," c. 1400, from Middle French poupe "stern of a ship" (14c.), from Old Provençal or Italian poppa, from Latin puppis "poop, stern," of uncertain origin. Poop deck attested by 1779.

"up-to-date information," 1941, in poop sheet, U.S. Army slang, of unknown origin, perhaps from poop (n.2).

"become tired," 1931, of unknown origin
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=poop

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Today's word is "miscreant". Meaning someone who behaves badly or illegally. Since I appropriated his thread, I'll let Otis give an example of its use in a sentence.

DVD

Cyburbian
I wanted to throw out a made up word from one of my books. Maybe it can be tomorrow's word.

Errorgant - To be twice as certain as someone who is merely arrogant while possessing only one-tenth the requisite facts.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Today's word is "milquetoast" Meaning, a very timid, unassertive, spineless person, especially one who is easily dominated or intimidated.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Today's word is "milquetoast" Meaning, a very timid, unassertive, spineless person, especially one who is easily dominated or intimidated.

Easily scared when told "I'm calling the Mayor" or "We'll see what Mayor says about that" ;)