• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

Words you hate

The Irish One

stoppage
pooh
Bustamante
Arnold
Grey
Kunstler
WMD
job creation
chemical and biological weapons
fully
half
vic
tom
sup
fashizzle
nizzle
you know how we do
aye
sick
dog
mad props
any spanish name that is affectionately given the ending ito/ita

Skeloton, is this done in Chile a lot?

Rem

Cyburbian
Mike D. said:
harrassment (when pronounced harrisment)
You mean when pronounced correctly?

I don't like alternate when alternative is required.
Inflammable when flammable is meant.
Planners who write in the third person because they will not stand behind their opinions, viz "Council considers your proposal to be a piece of crap."

Mastiff

Gunfighter
A couple I thought of....

"Get your hand off my ass, pervert!"

"Quit it! Or I'll call the police!"

"Have you been drinking tonight, sir?"

"Your ex-wife is on the phone..."

"Sorry, four of a kind beats your full house."

I'm sure I can think of more.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
"It's not rocket science" as a term for something simple to understand is SO overused.

-Pronged, as in a "four-pronged approach" -- I keep picturing a fork being jabbed into something

biscuit

Cyburbian
Mud Princess said:
"It's not rocket science" as a term for something simple to understand is SO overused.
A great alternative saying I once heard for this was,
"You're hitting a pig on the ass with a 2x4, not sending a man to the moon here."

Try working that into a conversation.

otterpop

Cyburbian
"Thinking outside of the box." Usually used by some fuzzy-headed official or boss. Hey, I like the box. It keeps the stuff from falling out and where I can find it. You don't like the box, then get a bigger one. But let's not go wandering off trying to find something we don't even know what the hell it is.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
The Irish one said:

any spanish name that is affectionately given the ending ito/ita

Skeloton, is this done in Chile a lot?

Ugh.. Yes it does happen quite a lot here and I personally hate it...

A phrase I'd never want to hear:
"You motherf***er!! You said you had used a condom!!! Now you're gonna ba a father a$$hole!"

BKM

Cyburbian
Planners who write in the third person because they will not stand behind their opinions, viz "Council considers your proposal to be a piece of crap."

Heck I (we) are not allowed to use first person. Everything is either "staff" or "we" (as a department).

JNL

Cyburbian
I hate hearing "you need to fill out this form"

*%$^ing stupid forms! I just had to re-do an expense claim form.

Wannaplan?

Ready to Learn
Mud Princess said:
-Pronged, as in a "four-pronged approach"

Yeah, I just read something that referenced a "three-pronged approach" and it made me wretch. How do planning recommendations have "prongs"? Do policy-makers on Capitol Hill talk about their "pronged" policies? It just sounds wrong, ya know?! :-D

mgk920

Cyburbian
I would include:

(any of these used as verbs)
Dialog
Interface
Parent
(etc)

Diversity (and any of the other current PCisms; ie 'sensitive', 'special needs', 'xxx-American', 'people of color', etc)

Nuclear and other adjectives when not used as adjectives or without their modified noun

Treacherous (ie "Treacherous driving conditions" - When are bad weather driving conditions the same as treason?)

Using apostrophie's in written plural's

'Xxx war'/'War on xxx' (ie, drugs - if it is a 'war', then what is the exit strategy?)

'Wake up!' ("so and so should wake up!", when used in a statement of a political position, often by the stereotypical retired guys whom complain about the government all day)

I could go on ^o)

Mike

Hceux

Cyburbian
Lately, I've been peeved by an overused word: you.

I don't mind sentences like "I like you" or "See you later", but I cannot stand when people say "You know how you realize how lucky you are when you see that you are not the only guy around." I'd much rather if people would drop the you's and say the previous sentence, "You know, I realized that I am lucky..." by adding in the I's.

Am I alone with this pet peeve over the you-isms?

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
A couple I thought of....

"Get your hand off my ass, pervert!"

"Quit it! Or I'll call the police!"

"Have you been drinking tonight, sir?"

"Your ex-wife is on the phone..."

"Sorry, four of a kind beats your full house."

I'm sure I can think of more.

This may have been posted almost a decade ago, but the passage of time has not diminished its humor at all! :lmao::lmao::lmao:

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
A female friend of mine in college came up with this list of words she hated. Well I took the list and formed a long run-on sentence out of it, using all the words. The sentence was an obscene one that is probably not safe to post here, even if I remembered all of it. Nowadays, I can only remember the beginning of it. It was fun to watch her squirm and freak out when I read it. :lmao:

Queen B

Cyburbian
These Ones.
Is it not just "these" why in the world would you need to add ones to it. It just drives me crazy. No one even realizes it is wrong.
This one or These.

AArrrggghhh!:-@

Rygor

Cyburbian
For some reason the word "snickerdoodle" pisses me off. And "labradoodle", too. Pretty much anything "doodle". :-@

sequoianelf

Cyburbian
A great alternative saying I once heard for this was,
"You're hitting a pig on the ass with a 2x4, not sending a man to the moon here."

Try working that into a conversation.

That is lovely. We actually have a pig. I think I will work that into conversation.

Used incorrectly:

literally
ensure
assure
insure