• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Words you just can't type!

JNL

Cyburbian
Working on a report, my fingers keep stumbling over instraftr...infrastrucutre...infrastrucu...infrastructure! (that was for real!)

Are there any words that you type all the time but they always come out wrong?

Another one used to be 'behaviour' and raod instead of road.

donk

Cyburbian
As you all know teh for the. I have friends who know it is my email just by that.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I type "fo" for "of" a lot. And when I check into the St Pete Times (sptimes.com) when slacking at work (to see if the ex- just might have expired recently) I usually type xptimes.

ludes98

Cyburbian
JNL said:
...and raod instead of road.
Ditto.

I have a co-worker whose name is Vicky, but I frequently type Vivki, just can't move over. Sometimes I am too quick with the space bar, so I end up with a space before I am done typing the word.

Michele Zone

BANNED
I tend to add an extra e at the end of words that end in th (and possibly some others), I sometimes type "and" when I mean "an", I often skip one or two letter words when I am typing fast or something. I am sure there are others.

JNL

Cyburbian
Michele Zone said:
I tend to add an extra e at the end of words that end in th.
My surname ends in 'ing' and I often find myself adding a g to words that end in 'in'.

BKM

Cyburbian
Well, I'm pretty sure I don't work for the City of FARIFELD, CA :)

nerudite

Cyburbian
I almost always type 'commercial' as 'commerical'. I have it on auto setting now to correct it in word.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
"Structure" always seems to come out "strucutre" and "applicant" almost always comes out "appcliant". "Redevelopment" can come out "redvelopment" -- dang commies are everywhere :-c

I always proof-read my hard copy with a red pen. Spell check is not a substitute for proofing copy.

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
mike gurnee said:
"Staff recommends approval" is quite difficult.
Especially for those difficult projects where you know the developer/applicant is not very trust worthy.

My word is devleopment/developmnet for development.

Michele Zone

BANNED
JNL said:
My surname ends in 'ing' and I often find myself adding a g to words that end in 'in'.
I don't have a surname that ends in "ing" and I sometimes do the same thing.

My typing has quite a lot of quirks because I am righthanded but I am left-hand dominant when I type: I broke my right arm when I was 11 and I entertained myself while I had a cast for 3 weeks (green stick fracture -- a crack, not a real break) by doing typing exercises on my sister's manual typewriter with the only hand I could use: my left. My left hand is much more proficient at typing than my right and it is much faster. Long words often get letters out of order due to my left hand typing faster -- letters typed by my left hand will appear before letters typed by my right hand, when they are supposed to be AFTER them in a word. I also have "dyslexic hands" and will type the whatever key of X finger with the opposite hand sometimes, such that f is typed when I mean j and that sort of thing.

I just do a lot of corrections. :)

Rem

Cyburbian
I almost always type ratio as ration. Many of the others above I also "use" from time to time.

Michele Zone

BANNED
I have a few "sticky" keys on my laptop (the key board is really worn and many of the keys have no writing left -- you just have to know by feel what's what) and "O" is one of them. This has caused me to have to be extra careful when typing words like "count" or "country" to make sure the "o" doesn't inadvertently get left out.

If I think of any of the other words that have been giving me fits, I will be happy to entertain everyone at my expense again later. :)

Last edited:

mgk920

Cyburbian
My figners often get dislexic with 'from' (form), 'the' (teh), 'interchange' (interchnage), 'Wisconsin' (Wiscosnin), plus a few other similar words.

;-)

Mike

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
and as adn

variation as varaition

from as form

remember as remeber

and the always infamously subtle-

commercial as commerical

Belle

Cyburbian
Communtiy Developmetn

Trail Nazi said:
My word is devleopment/developmnet for development.
I can't count how many times the phrase "Communtiy Developmetn" appears in my thesis...

otterpop

Cyburbian
Proposal (often mistyped as propsoal) and existing (which I always seem to mistype as "exisiting". Thank God for spellcheck because I spell very well but type only okay. I never learned to touchtype, though after so many years of typing I can type most of the time without looking at the keyboard

BiteMeElmo

Cyburbian
I knwo there's one word I always mess up, but I just don't knwo which one it is.

Also, words that end in 'rve' like deserve and serve often end up with an extra r on the end.

Doitnow

Cyburbian
and as adn
the as teh
infrastructure as infrastrcutre
remember as rememeber
believe as beleive
recieve as receive( or is it the other way round) :p
sometimes I type a number between a word like betw3een

I think those who have not learnt typing the real way and are typists like me which use only four fingers make more mistakes and also all those who are in such a hurry to see the word they want to type appear on the screen before they finish typing.

Free advice:
I have a few "sticky" keys on my laptop (the key board is really worn and many of the keys have no writing left
Michele, since its a laptop and you and I cant suggest changing the keyboard I think its time for you to change the keys. :)

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
"Financial Guarantee" always starts out on my computer as "financial gaurentee"....always mix up the "a" and the "u"

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
WOW, Looks like I have all the problems I have spelling works are not uncommon. That is great news I thought it was only my fingers that were dumb. One get mixed up that has not yet been mentioned

Conservation and Conversation

JNL

Cyburbian
Freudian slip?

Oh dear... I am writing a report about a small playground located halfway along a dog-leg alleyway and discussing how it could be a potentially dangerous entrapment spot after dark... but I keep typing entrapment sport! :-c

Michele Zone

BANNED
PlannerByDay said:
Conservation and Conversation
I thought about mentioning it but it is not one I have big issues with. However, the online notes for some class I was taking kept saying "conversation" and it made absolutely no sense -- until I realized it was supposed to be "conservation". Then it all clicked. I e-mailed the professor because it seemed like an important typo that impacted the meaning/understanding of the notes.