• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Wordsmiths and throbbing brain, I need some ideas

Habanero

Cyburbian
What is the easiest, and most straightforward way to let someone know they do not have a complete submittal, are not coordinating the project correctly, and promises for hearing dates never existed?

I basically have..

Thanks, blah blah blah, however you do not meet the requirements needed for a full review. The following items need to be submitted, blah blah blah. Furthermore, no hearing dates have been promised. A 30 day notification process is madatory per State regs as is the sign posting. Until Staff can fully review the re-submittal we will not advertise.

o:) I need to be a little bit more "bring it" in a nice way (per instructions). I've had run-ins with the applicant before, threating law suits, accusing Staff of lying, etc. etc.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Include liberally phrases like "as stated in Section XX of the town's subdivision of land regulations..." Enclose copies of the referenced sections so they get used to actually looking at the regulations.

SGB

Cyburbian
Dear _____,

Thank you for submitting your application for _____, which was received by this office on [insert date].

As per sections [cite local regs sections] of the [name regulation], the following items and/or information must be submitted before the application can be considered complete and ready for staff/board review.

As you know, [cite applicable local and/or state regs] require that an application be complete before a hearing can be scheduled and public notice given of said meeting. Upon receipt of the required materials, we will be happy to schedule the required hearing.

Thank you for your consideration. If we may provide additional information, please contact us at [contact information].

Sincerely yours,

John/Jane Q. Planner
Humbile Civil Servant

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Staff has reviewed your submittal for the ______ at 253 Main St. Upon review of the submitted materials, staff has determined that the applicaion is incomplete. Before any action, meetings, etc will be scheduled, the follwing items must be submitted:

1. Blah
2. Blah
3. Blah

Failure to submit these items by ______ will result in the application being returned to you.

I like to have things in the list form, as people seem to be able to follow them better.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Repo has the right idea on this one. I deal with incomplete applications and contracts on a daily basis and have found that creating a simple checklist of what the applicant is missing is the best way to get get complience. Unfortunately, this only works if the applicant bothers to read the list, and it still surprises me how often they don’t. I suppose it’s easier for them to call their council member and bitch and moan about how the evil city planners aren’t doing their job.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
I just tell applicants straight up, you need a complete submittal and that I have to follow the ordinance.

Habanero

Cyburbian
SlaveToTheGrind said:
I just tell applicants straight up, you need a complete submittal and that I have to follow the ordinance.
Oh hell, I meant re-submittal. Unfortunately, our submittal requirements are not in our code, just on the application.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Habanero said:
Oh hell, I meant re-submittal. Unfortunately, our submittal requirements are not in our code, just on the application.
A-ha! In NH that would lead to trouble....all completeness items must be cited in the regulations.

Having said that, and not being familiar with AZ law....I like Repo's approach. Give 'em a list.