• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Work Place Pranks

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
We moved a guy's entire office (into another dept's conference room) while he was on vacation; then he had to go find it.

Collected punch-holes from paper for months, put them in a box with a cut-out sliding bottom, hid it in the suspended ceiling over a co-worker's desk, ran a string to an adjoining office, and when she came back from lunch, let 'er rip.

With another planner, took a clipboard and tape measure to the offices of some really anal planners, where we pretended to be measuring so we could move in, then waited for them to run screaming to their supervisor.

The one they did to me: when I was leaving one county, I got a copy of the new employer's comp plan. Couple of my co-workers asked to see it. They inserted a "policy" that led me to believe the citizen from hell also owned property in the new county, and that I would have to deal with him here, too.

donk

Cyburbian
Our GIS Tech just moved from an open area to his own office.

He is so happy to have a door, we are planning on removing it when he is away on vacation.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:
We moved a guy's entire office (into another dept's conference room) while he was on vacation; then he had to go find it.
We moved the Director's secretary's entire office - plants, posters and all - to the outer lobby while she was taking a lunch time nap in a conference room. We even hooked up her phone and desktop so she had to work the rest of the day there.

iamme

Cyburbian
Working in the office of a truck terminal, I always get everybody's paycheck first. I take this one guys paycheck and walk out to the loading dock, I tell a forklift driver that it's someone elses and he proceeds to run it over repeatedly. When he finished leaving his mark, I picked it up and said, here's your're check. (We all get direct deposit so it really doesn't matter, we all go back and forth doing this to one another's pay stubs)

Queen B

Cyburbian
We used to have a supervisor that was the recyle freak from hell. So while she was gone we spent the week shredding old files and filled her office with bags of shred from floor to ceiling. I think she had to haul off over 35 bags. And then we took all her recycled paperclips and hook all of them together to make chains and strung them all over the hall.

I always disrupt people with obsessively clean neat desks by changing or turning things.

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
I taped an employment application for a Sonic fast-food restaurant to the front of a Planning Director's computer, so that it was in plain view.

I wonder how well she's doing flipping burgers now!

Jeff

Cyburbian
donk said:

He is so happy to have a door, we are planning on removing it when he is away on vacation.
Its always good fun to penny lock people in their office.

H

Cyburbian
Everyone in my office is so high strung I think if a prank were pulled the building would implode. :(

Mastiff

Gunfighter
I worked on a job site where the kept the porta-potty on a pallet. When a new guy would come on board, they'd run the forklift behind it and leave the guy 15' up in the air...

donk

Cyburbian
Mike D proposed
Its always good fun to penny lock people in their office.
The next thing you'll be suggesting is a leaner, another university res favourite.

The funny thing in our office is that we all have doors, but no one ever closes them, except sometimes when they are with a client. Pranks on eachother are fine, but if an outside person is in your office that would not be cool.

Jeff

Cyburbian
donk said:
Mike D proposed

Pranks on eachother are fine, but if an outside person is in your office that would not be cool.
Thats the best time to do it.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
One of the best I ever heard was done by my favorite high school history teacher. He got a student to lie on the grass under another teacher's third story window, then called her in the middle of class. Pretending to be from administration, he commented that they had received a complaint of something falling off the roof of the building and asked if she would look out of her window to see if anything had fallen. Apparently she freaked and ran screaming from the room. He used to tell us many great stories like that.

El Feo

Cyburbian
Simple oldies

- Bundle the handset cord of the phone of the coworker of your choice, tie with breadtie. Wait for phone to ring. Enjoy.

- Variation: Cover earpiece of handset liberally with vaseline. Wait for phone to ring. Enjoy.

- Forward phone message from a "Myra Maines" to coworker of your choice. Make sure return phone number is for State Coroner's Office. Hard to enjoy, unless your cube is nearby, but fun nonetheless.

tsc

Cyburbian
We had this annoying secretary... that started to buddy buddy with the mayors PR person... another woman. Well... our secretary was into "writing" sappy poetry...even too sappy for Hallmark...

So, we re-wrote a poem of hers. I think it was entitled "My Mother".... but it was really weird...... we changed the title to "My Michelle".. and changing Michelle for "mother" and it sounded more like a lesbian sappy love poem... what is worse... we sent it to Michelle...who got a little ticked. Unbeknowst to us.... she was having an affair with the Mayor's secretary....(another woman) and we touched on a nerve....and didn't think it was a joke...

Ok,,,,what many really care about...The mayors secretary....blond barbie doll,,,, and the PR... was also pretty darn fem.... you never would have guessed it!!

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
I believe the story goes something like this: ZG actually stole the tracking ball out a planner's mouse one day. He had to come in early to work the next day to finish a report but counldn't. No wonder he has been hell bent on revenge to the entire planning department since he has returned as the director.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
At my first job, they still allowed smoking in the workplace. One morning we hid all the ash trays and all the garbage cans.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Trail Nazi said:
I believe the story goes something like this: ZG actually stole the tracking ball out a planner's mouse one day. He had to come in early to work the next day to finish a report but counldn't. No wonder he has been hell bent on revenge to the entire planning department since he has returned as the director.
You forgot the one where I was hanging X-mas ornaments around the office and decorated his cube entrance with a pair of blue balls.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Zoning Goddess said:
You forgot the one where I was hanging X-mas ornaments around the office and decorated his cube entrance with a pair of blue balls.
ROTFL

ZG - you rock!

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I used to torment the paleo-Conservatie town manager at my last job. Let's see ... hanging up a picture of Lenin in his office to see how long it would take before he noticed it, changing his computer desktop background to images of Hillary Clinton, Michael Moore and the like, and adding browser bookmarks to PETA , Bartcop and so on.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Dan said:
I used to torment the paleo-Conservatie town manager at my last job. Let's see ... hanging up a picture of Lenin in his office to see how long it would take before he noticed it, changing his computer desktop background to images of Hillary Clinton, Michael Moore and the like, and adding browser bookmarks to PETA , Bartcop and so on.
Good stuff.
I work with one of those as well, and have been looking for a way to annoy him half as much as he annoys me, so I hope you don't mind if I rip off your ideas. :)