• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Work subjects on the table

Do you have that unpolite habit?

• Yes! I just can't help it!

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Sometimes, just to break the ice

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • No! I support you!

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Other..

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Do you have that unpolite habit of speaking about work on the table?

Personally I'm sick and tired about the Biochemistry lectures along with the chit-chat about work that my parents talk about on the table...

Sorry Skel - Most people we hang out with are either co-workers or residents of the town both Rob and I work for. And people always want to know what is happening with X project, or whatever. its the fallacy of being couples as well as colleagues. both my parents were teachers and we got the same thing. in fact, the only people i know that don't really like to talk about their work are accoutants. :)

The majority of my closest friends, including my betrothed, are planners. Some of them live in different states and some of them work for competing firms or are still working for the city/govt. In order words, not talking about work is almost impolite, although we all have enough separate interests to keep our converstations planning-topic free. :)

Jeff

Cyburbian
the 2 of you are geeks. talking about work is geeky (sorry geeks), unless of course you're a lesbian prostitute, and in that case it is OK to talk shop all the time.

Wannaplan?

Bounty Hunter
I would imagine herpetologists get tired of talking about herpes all day long.

Mike D. said:
talking about work is geeky (sorry geeks),
pshaw. I'm not geeky because rob and i talk about work. I'm a geek because I stayed up until 2 playing SimCity last night, and then was excited to show rob what my city looked like this morning. sigh.

H

Cyburbian
I really try not to, I try so hard, but I must talk about work. Though I am getting better and make a valiant effort not to.

It doesn’t help that my friends are planners.

I feel bad for my wife, I really do.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I don't try to do it, but sometimes I'll be introduced to someone in a social setting, and when they find out what I do, they'll ask, "Hey, were you involved with....?" (usually a controversial rezone).

My son is so used to hearing about work at home: when I was in zoning, he would ask quite frequently "So, mom, what jerks did you have to deal with in the office today?"

Habanero

Cyburbian
We try to only talk about work when we both get home, after that we don't really talk about it. If people ask me about a case or want to talk about my job while I'm out socailly I tell them I try not to mix the two, but if they'd like to call me at my office I'd be more than happy to talk then.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Downtown said:
and then was excited to show rob what my city looked like this morning. sigh.
Oh, is that what we call it now

Rem

Cyburbian
No way. If you are talking about family settings.

My father and brother did this when I still lived at home - I hated it then and don't want to inflict it on my family.

If I am away from work with work or professional colleagues, then yes it is inevitable.