• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

Communication 🔊 Working collaboratively with other departments

michaelskis

Cyburbian
There are many reasons why planning departments work with other departments. Sometimes it is part of development reviews, sometimes it is installation of public improvements, other times it is implementation of a master plan. In small towns, this interaction seems to be even more important.

My question is what department in your community is responsible and has the final say on things? How much do you collaborate outside of the conversations with developers. These could include the following:

• Location of sidewalks
  • Location of utilities
  • Design of streets
  • Size/location of parks
  • When improvements get installed
  • Location/size/species of street trees
  • Maintenance of parks
  • Hiring subcontractors

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
I spend a lot of time with public works, and increasingly, our fire department, as buildings and sites get more complicated in the growing municipality I work for. Basically everything you listed above goes through Public Works, unless it's a subcontractor for a non-PW project. Parks provision in new developments comes out of our zoning rules, but these are almost always private, not public. We are just starting to get around to some master planning of additional developed public parks and that will involve planning, public works, recreation etc.

Planit

Cyburbian
There are many reasons why planning departments work with other departments. Sometimes it is part of development reviews, sometimes it is installation of public improvements, other times it is implementation of a master plan. In small towns, this interaction seems to be even more important.

My question is what department in your community is responsible and has the final say on things? How much do you collaborate outside of the conversations with developers. These could include the following:

• Location of sidewalks
  • Location of utilities
  • Design of streets
  • Size/location of parks
  • When improvements get installed
  • Location/size/species of street trees
  • Maintenance of parks
  • Hiring subcontractors

Sidewalks - Planning
Utilities - PW
Street design - Planning & sometimes Fire
Parks - Planning (with Rec if proposed to be donated to city)
Installation - PW
Street trees - we have an approved list
Subs - PW if necessary

All departments have a seat at the table when we review plats and have input.