• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

Worst place you've stayed on a trip

BeansandCod

Cyburbian
Does it have to be a hotel/motel and can it be a campground?

In late summer 2002 my husband and I were in Nova Scotia and Cape Breton Island for a week. We had heard that the most amazing place on Cape Breton was Meat Cove, a small village/settlement at the tippy top of the island. We arrived at dusk to find many of the good spots gone, but no matter, we made the best of it.

The place was like something out of a nasty backwoods movie. The owners were close to being toothless and their children were running around dirty and unkempt. Ramshackle homes were situated close to the campsites so there was always the commotion of people around. The shower stalls were pay (that's fine if they worked) but were filled with spiders way too huge to mess with. :-c I HATE SPIDERS!!!!
Finally, we settle down to deal with a meal and we find that our spot has the not so great benefit of a giant outdoor flourescent light. After finally falling asleep, we are awakened in the small hours of the morning with whooping and yelling and the sounds of ATVs being run through the woods and down the road through the campground. Thinking they were just boozed up kids, we peeked our heads out of the tent to see an ATV with a farm/utility card attached to the back and inside was a dead moose! I could see the antlers illuminated in the streetlight as they sped by.Then, the psycho chainsaws! About twenty minutes later we heard the distinctive sound of chainsaws and saw lights dancing in a clearing across the valley - the moose carcass was being cut up! We broke camp the next morning and got the heck outta there. That's when we realized that Meat Cove had many meanings! :-x

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
On a class field trip, we slept under the picnic shelters in a rest area.

nerudite

Cyburbian
BeansandCod said:
Does it have to be a hotel/motel and can it be a campground?

In late summer 2002 my husband and I were in Nova Scotia and Cape Breton Island for a week. We had heard that the most amazing place on Cape Breton was Meat Cove, a small village/settlement at the tippy top of the island. We arrived at dusk to find many of the good spots gone, but no matter, we made the best of it.
[OT]Believe it or not, that's where my husband and I want to retire. There is property for sale on that beautiful road to Meat Cove... amazing view. Unfortunately, it's $200,000 that I don't have.

If you want beautiful surroundings without the 'backwoods' feel, next time try Dingwall about 30 minutes away, lots of eco-tourism there so a different mix of locals.[/OT]

michaelskis

Cyburbian
The Penn View Motel in West Reading PA... Let's just say that I bought a sleeping bag because I did not want to know what was under the sheets.

It was the most foul, unclean, and potentially dangerous hotel that I have even been to. I was in the area for an interview... and I was scheduled to say three nights, well that changed to one night. It would have been less but everything else in the area was booked. :-@

Here is a link to their site...
http://www.pennviewmotel.com/online/index.php

high density

The worst place I"ve stayed at is the Sahara in Las Vegas. The towels smelled bad, and the tub had that no-slip grip stuff that was just filthy. It's true what they say about not using the comforters in hotels, because I don't think they ever get washed.

ICT/316

Cyburbian
Estes Park, Co 1970 something. I was 1 or 2 and there was a big ass flood that killed like 130 people in a matter of minutes. We stayed in an emergency shelter on the floor for most of our vacation, since my parents car was under a rock slide caused by the flood. And our hotel was washed away! My mom, grandma and I can be seen in one of the photos in a book about the flood! Great vacation.:-|

July 31st, 1976, Big Thompson Canyon flood. 140 dead.

Bill

hilldweller

Cyburbian
The Ramada Inn in Stuart, FL was a nightmare. The sheets itched like they hadn't been washed for weeks. Not that I could sleep anyway with the constant thunder of jets landing at the nearby airport.

I stayed at this hicktown hotel in midstate pa one time, one of those places where everything is tethered down... thats the last time i let our office clerk book my room

H

Cyburbian
In a hotel in a remote part of the Andes in North Peru where the only water was in a trash can (non-potable, of course) in a shared hallway and there was trash and mosquitos in the trash can and if you wanted to wash your hand or anything you had to use that water. There was a public toilet, but it was out of order. Plus there was a window to my room with no glass, just bars, and a couple got into a fight in the hallway and if you think hearing that was bad I wont even tell you what hearing them make up was like. :-c