• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Worst planning cliche

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Evidently a survey was done and "at the end of the day" was voted as the worst cliche. Taking this thought into the depths of cyburbia, was is the worst planning cliche? My vote is "....this project won't pencil..." Like we need to grant you the extra 10 units/acre just so you can make more money.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
"...when all the shouting is over."

"...with all due respect..."

This project will bring much needed jobs and economic development to this underserved area. Yeah right!! ^o)

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Please, don't shift my paradigms. I like them right where they are now. |-)

Seabishop

Cyburbian
"The stakeholders at the visioning session listed the neighborhood's assetts and liabilities. Liveability was a prime concern which arose out of the discourse."

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
"This project will be an asset and a benefit to the community."

lowlyplanner

Cyburbian
We're developing a "public-private partnership."

No, you've convinced the government to give you money to do something stupid.

otterpop

Cyburbian
Chet said:
"...with all due respect..."
and "no offense, but . . ." are statements people use to try to soften the fact that they are about to show you no respect you and/or offend you.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
"This project will increase the value of my house/business/office and thus generate more taxes, so the City will benefit and should therefore support it."

Cardinal

Cyburbian
If this Wal-Mart opens, all of our local businesses will suffer.

Really, I don't mind most of the phrases cited in the article. Given their use over time, they are easily understood and can clarify the context in which something is said. How is the use of any of these phrases much different from the use of some common words? They convey meaning, and that isn't a bad thing.

Some of the others posted here, like those by Planderella, JNA or RichmondJake are another matter.

Budgie

Cyburbian
"That's how it's always been".

Rather than, "Yes, that doesn't make sense and there is no rational basis behind it. Here's an application to amend the code."

Budgie

Cyburbian
el Guapo said:
I meant: All growth is good?

Sorry for the confusion. :)
Blantant Post Pad to Follow -

EG, I understood what you meant. I hope that makes you feel better.

One baby step closer to the Clube.

GeogPlanner

Cyburbian
all of these cliches are the result of this common phrase from elementary school:

"In at least 150 words..."