• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Worst smells ever

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
too many choices for a poll so your simple list please (and let's not have this get added to the flame war list, shall we?)

failed septic systems on inspection

oh and there will be a prize for the winner - I need some judges, so off the top of my head they are TOFB, RJ Maister and imaplanner

and you must have experienced it

Last edited:

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Have you ever climbed down into to sewer pump station or manhole to clean it in the summer time?
I have. 8-!

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
There's bad, and then there's gagworthy; maybe not so pungent, but it triggers the gag reflex like nothing else.

Vomit? Gag. Rotten eggs? Gag. The dumpster at a supermarket? Gag.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
A rendering plant. In summer heat. With humidity above 80%.
Rotting/rotten watermelons. Driving through the central valley in Cal. one early fall and the stench was so bad I was nauseous for hours afterwards. I have hated the taste of watermelon ever since.

Last edited:

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
There's bad, and then there's gagworthy; maybe not so pungent, but it triggers the gag reflex like nothing else.

Vomit? Gag. .... The dumpster at a supermarket? Gag.
I have experience both -
1 - when I was an EMT.
2 - worked in a supermarket during the summer.

AIB Gedunker - Rotting/rotten
soybean fields that had been flooded then dried out in the hot summer sun. Even in a climate controlled office building we could still smell it.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Rotting corpses in the blazing sun.

I spent a couple of weeks helping with the cleanup of a massive earthquake in Turkey in 1999 in August. When we first came into the really badly damaged areas, the smell hit you like a ton of bricks. With about 40,000+ dead, and temperatures in the mid to upper-90s every day, the stench was immediately overwhelming. Thankfully, human bodies only smell absolutely horrible for a certain few days of their rotting cycle... after that, it's barely noticeable compared to the earlier smell. :not:

btrage

Cyburbian
Rotting corpses in the blazing sun.

I spent a couple of weeks helping with the cleanup of a massive earthquake in Turkey in 1999 in August. When we first came into the really badly damaged areas, the smell hit you like a ton of bricks. With about 40,000+ dead, and temperatures in the mid to upper-90s every day, the stench was immediately overwhelming. Thankfully, human bodies only smell absolutely horrible for a certain few days of their rotting cycle... after that, it's barely noticeable compared to the earlier smell. :not:

WSU FTW!!!!!!!

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Rotting/rotten watermelons. Driving through the central valley in Cal. one early fall and the stench was so bad I was nauseous for hours afterwards. I have hated the taste of watermelon ever since.

That reminds me of a story our department director told me last year...

She had gone to the grocery store to prepare for a summer BBQ and among other things bought a watermelon. However, when she was unpacking she couldn't find it and figured that she had left it in the cart or something but wasn't about to go back to the store to claim it. The day after the BBQ, she and her family went on vacation for a week, leaving her car at her house in the driveway. When she returned from vacation, she went to get into her car the next day for work and was said she was almost vomiting from the awful awful smell that she couldn't identify. After letting it air out for a little bit and a quick search, she discovered that the watermelon had rolled under the third row of seats in the SUV, lodged itself there, and proceeded to bake, rot, and fester while she was out of town.

She ended up having to take the car in to be detailed which didn't eliminate the smell. They removed all of the seats and shampooed everything again and it still didn't work. In the end, she replaced all the carpeting on the floor.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
I'll agree with the rotting soybeans. Being a farm kid I've smelled some pretty bad stuff, and the wet rotting beans are the worst.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Agree on the rotting watermelon thing. One time, my college roommate cut a watermelon in half and left the other half sitting on the counter for several days...the residue and the smell was overwhelming. :victory:

My dog's farts smell really bad, but I've learned to manage.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
The open air garbage dump in Mumbai, India.

Dharavi slum also in Mumbai, India. Imagine close to a million people squeezed together on a piece of land .67 sq. mile in size. Open air sewers, open industry with nary an OSHA type reg, diesel fuel, smog, curry, and a whole host of other odors mingled into one multiplied by 100F temperatures. Yeah buddy.

Although I think WSU gets the win at the moment.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
A rendering plant. In summer heat.....

That's a good one. There is, or was, a rendering plant on Lakeville Highway outside of Petaluma. When I was doing my internship there, I visited the site. Never again. I think the operation succumbed to suburban encroachment because I didn't see (smell) it when I was out there earlier this month.

Along the I-5 between Sacramento and Stockton is a confined animal feeding operation. I passed by one summer day when the temperature was about 105 degrees F. CPSURaf can probably attest and narrow down its location.

Last edited:

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's a good one. There is, or was, a rendering plant on Lakeville Highway outside of Petaluma. When I was doing my internship there, I visited the site. Never again. I think the operation succumbed to suburban encroachment because I didn't see (smell) it when I was out there earlier this month.

Along the I-5 between Sacramento and Stockton is a confined animal feeding operation. I passed by one summer day when the temperature was about 105 degrees F. CSPURaf can probably attest and narrow down its location.

From my SC days....chicken farms. Gag.

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
Along the I-5 between Sacramento and Stockton is a confined animal feeding operation. I passed by one summer day when the temperature was about 105 degrees F. CSPURaf can probably attest and narrow down its location.

Oh god, the cow dung heap next to the dairy that sits next to the City of Lodi's wasewater treatment facility, just north of the Flag City/Highway 12 exit. Yes, my god. Picture this...

Driving down the freeway with no AC, over 100 degrees in your souped up tempo, rollin at 70 and then you hit this thing in the middle of nowhere. Cow $hit, human waste, and some vino all rolled into one smell. The smell just lingers as you try to roll up your window, then have to roll it back down becasue you just want to vomit over and over again. And this place is huge. Great memories :)

Richmond Jake

Oh god, the cow dung heap next to the dairy that sits next to the City of Lodi's wasewater treatment facility, just north of the Flag City/Highway 12 exit.....

That's it! That's the place!

It's what inspired John Fogerty pen the lyrics: :8: Oh Lord, I'm stuck in Lodi again... :8:

You're right, that stench of the I-5 is a great memory.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Back in my code enforcement days, I had to go on a raid on a very poor area between 2 cities. It was in the County because neither of the cities would annex it.:r::not: This area was not know for having proper disposal of human waste. Anyway, we enter into a house and there was this smell that hit you when you got through the door. The occupant had a bucket of human waste next to the stove. That smell just about dropped all of us.

Veloise

Cyburbian
Roadkill, particularly "was-a-skunk."

Pig or poultry farms. Larger animals tend to not reek quite so bad.

Tom R

Cyburbian
stink

I once left a dozen night crawlers in the trunk of my Dad's '55 Chevy after a fishing trip.
YUM!

MazerRackham

Cyburbian
I worked for a trucking company one summer during college. They specialized in hauling meat byproducts destined for pet food plants. The worst smell I have ever experienced emanated from the trailers we referred to as "gut wagons" while they were baking in the hot August Missouri sun. Just the thought still gags me.+o(

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Thread Intent Gone Amuck !!!

This Bear is looking at this thread with a bit of a different perspective.....worst smells ever.....

Chicago politics.
John Ashcroft's invasions of privacy.
New England Patriots' "tapegate". ;)
TV fundamentalists soliciting money.
Noise from "birthers".
The KKK.
Michigan State football victory over Michigan occuring a number of seconds after time expired. :-@
Jim Thorpe losing his Olympic medals. (Smell mitigated later.)
Tony Hayward's breath.
_____
Line placement to prove that Bear does not smell.

Bear

jswanek

Cyburbian

You guys are all too young. Paint manufacturing with absolutely no environmental controls (open factory windows and doors),

Richmond Jake

Curdled breast milk from an unwed goth mother nursing her child in a Waffle House.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
You guys are all too young. Paint manufacturing with absolutely no environmental controls (open factory windows and doors)

Seriously? I love the smell of paint ... that is, just so long as it goes away in a while. How is the smell of the manufacturing process worse?

Also, before I forget ...

* Greeley.
* A long haul trucker's 'roid cushion.

[emma]especially if their a liberal trucker because their vegetarian and farting all the time[/emma]

jswanek

Cyburbian
Seriously? I love the smell of paint ... that is, just so long as it goes away in a while. How is the smell of the manufacturing process worse?

Also, before I forget ...

* Greeley.
* A long haul trucker's 'roid cushion.

[emma]especially if their a liberal trucker because their vegetarian and farting all the time[/emma]

It's like some vegetable is burning, plus kid's airplane glue somehow boiling, frog in lab formaldehyde for too many decades, and THEN you start to retch and faint from the literally ethereal undertones. It was in a RESIDENTIAL neighborhood in South Central LA that, based on census records, was almost entirely poor white when the place must have been in full blast operation in the 50s. I was surveying property for redevelopment in the 70s when their exemptions from every environmental rule must have been petering out.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
About 140 years ago, somewhere in Buffalo, New York:

The water of this canal is underlaid by foul recent deposits of organic refuse in an active state of decomposition. Its surface for its entire length is spotted with bubbles of the escaping gas. The accumulation of gases produced within the mass at the bottom of the canal frequently throws up great volumes of putrid filth. ...

... That night the wind blew strongly from the northeast, lowering the water of the lake, and a heavy rain fell. The Mill-Race sewer, which had been a quiet dry-weather rivulet for some time before, now became a torrent, bringing with it a mass of stock-yard manure, hog car slush, slaughter-house offal, tannery waste, and all manner of foul rubbish, which during dry weather had accumulated over a large part of its stinking water-shed. This torrent, rushing past the mouth of the Hamburg inlet, swept' its filthy burden into the canal, and, in addition, stirred up and carried forward the considerable deposits already formed there. ...

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Can it get worse than this?

Maybe.

But folks in the 1800s know something must smell really, truly awful when ...

Ewwwww.jpg

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
Had to clean out a fridge that died that none of my housemates would touch and nobody told me about for a couple of weeks. There were tens of pounds of rotting hamburger in there.

Did another fridge cleanout like that at a summer camp where it died and the cafeteria staff just rolled it out into the yard and left it in the sun from September-June- it had been full of pound blocks of butter.

I consider myself lucky to have never smelled anything worse than those.