• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Would this bother you?

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
OK, I know you have to pick your battles, but this really irks me.

There are some ordinance amendments I am suggesting to the DDA, based on their master plan. I spoke with the DDA Director about it to make sure I had her backing. So, I emailed her the memo for her to review.

She emailed me back some changes. The changes she made - the memo, rather being from myself was now from both of us, and she changed everything from "I" to "we". Everything else stayed the same.

I know it's minor, but I am the one doing everything on this, I'm the planner, and they are my recommendations. I'm the one that has to take it to PC and Council and write the actual ordinances. On the other hand, if the DDA shoots them down (which I doubt they will) she would take the heat just as much as myself.

Should I just keep the memo from both of us and all the "we's", or keep it the original way? If I keep it my way, what do I tell her? Should I stop being a control freak (YES, YES, YES) - btw, she does this ALOT.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Some bosses are like that. I don't get to sign much of anything where I work now - I write the memos, my boss signs them.

donk

Cyburbian
Does she do it on items that are going to be unpopular, or does she only associate herself with items that are popular/will make her look good and forward thinking?

If she does not participate in the bad / politically unfavourable, she should not attempt to take credit for the good. I have recently been through a similar battle here and lost.

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
Some bosses are like that. I don't get to sign much of anything where I work now - I write the memos, my boss signs them
OK, that would suck. Luckily my City Manager doesn't do that to me. The DDA Director isn't boss, so in my opinion, I don't *have* to change it.

She does this when it's type of stuff that would make her look good.

SGB

Cyburbian
Since she's not your boss, I'd take her name off of it - as long as she isn't in a position to make your work life miserable.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
We to use "staff" as the pronoun in most correspondence. I tend to agree with keeping it "we" because then it seems like there is a consensus on the proposed changes. If I were in a similar situation, I would just keep the "we" or switch it to "staff." I

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
I would accept and support it, as it provides a backing to "your" position. Sometimes sharing the credit (or getting none) is required in order to advance a position.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Find out if she wants the changes to show that there is consensus. If that is it, re-write your memo. It should still come from you, but state that you and the DDA are in agreement and use "we" from then on.

BKM

Cyburbian
I agree with jfortin (and others). We tend to avoid using "I" and use "We" or staff. Unless there is no consensus, then that's a whole 'nother issue

Runner

Cyburbian
bturk said:
I would accept and support it, as it provides a backing to "your" position. Sometimes sharing the credit (or getting none) is required in order to advance a position.
bturk sums up my feelings on the issue very well. If this is the way to present unity on a position its the best way to go. However, if this person always tries to take credit it's also a mental note issue to be handled at another time and another place...