• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Would you rather ... #7

Welcome to Houston. Pick your new next door neighbor.

• A Houston-style strip joint, open 24 hours, and right against the property line! [img]http://www.tos

Votes: 14 70.0%
  • A he-man oil refinery, preparing "old fashioned leaded gasoline" for export to Central America. [img

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • A big 'ol truck stop, complete with lot lizards and all-night engine idling. [img]http://www.north40

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A Texas-style prison, with daily executions [img]http://www.nandotimes.com/nt/images/century/photos/

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Open 10,000,000 gallon vats of fermenting, liquified swine waste [img]http://www.reidengineering.com

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

donk

Cyburbian
This is pretty bad, i have lived near 4of these items and did not find any of them too bad.

In university I lived in Saint John, NB one summer, right across the street from the Irving Oil Refinery. We affectionately called our house stinky hollow. We were the one of two houses in an industrial park,the one across the street that refused to sell to the Irvings and subsequently had a 15 foot tall razor wire fence erected along the perimeter of the property.

Growing up i worked and lived near pig farms. My first day of work I actually fell into the gutters that ran to the vats. I was coated up to my waste. Now poultry barns on the other hand...

Peeler Bars aplenty were I went to University. Probably the most per capita. 15 in a city of 100 000 people. Including 2 an easy walk from the lecture halls.

Also in university I lived about 60 feet from Canada and the US's busiest border crossing. Idling trucks, during teh strike of 91 my dorm window was even with them for 24 hours a day.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Snap Crackle Pop

The Texas Prison - The sizzle sounds at midnight would warm my cold Republican Heart.

Favorite Republican Saying: I'm not for the electric chair, I'm for electric bleachers!

Tom R

Cyburbian
Re: Snap Crackle Pop

El Guapo said:
The Texas Prison - The sizzle sounds at midnight would warm my cold Republican Heart.

Favorite Republican Saying: I'm not for the electric chair, I'm for electric bleachers!
One sick puppy!

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Well, I'm not married yet - so definitely the strip club. After marriage...well, maybe I'll relate better to the prison.

JUST KIDDING, SWEETIE!!!!

Tranplanner said:
Well, I'm not married yet - so definitely the strip club. After marriage...well, maybe I'll relate better to the prison.

JUST KIDDING, SWEETIE!!!!
tremendous. i also voted for the strip club. give my dad something to do when he comes to visit us.

Jeff

Cyburbian
You gotta go with the prison. Ain't nuttin' like some good 'ol fashioned riotin' every now and then.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
The strip club

Picutres for blackmail later *hummm councilman (blank) you dont want to work with us on getting rid of wal-mart eh? i got a deal for you*

rotfl

Last edited:

Habanero

Cyburbian
Prison

It's gotta be one of the safest places to be.. I mean, what idiot is going to stick around the prison if he escapes.. no, he's going to jet right over to the nearest "houston-style" strip club he can find and throw back drinks with the councilmen...

Being a Texan, I'm all for the death penalty, in the town my Mom's ranch is in they've turned the old jail into a museum and you can still see the handing tower. It's awesome, the cells surround the dropping area, so all of the other inmates could see the guy swing. Of course, now there is a piece of OSB over the final hanging spot for safety reasons.. I'm all for it though, but nowadays it costs so much. Bullets and rope are pretty cheap, bring that back... Yeah, I'm one sick puppy-

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
Prisons increase employment and stimulate the tax base. Refineries increase employment and stimulate the tax base. Truck stops increase employment and stimulate the tax base. Exotic dancing increases... and stimulates the... I know Chambers of Commerce that would take them all (well, maybe the dancing should be just over the county line).

el Guapo

Capitalist
mike gurnee said:
Prisons increase employment and stimulate the tax base. Refineries increase employment and stimulate the tax base. Truck stops increase employment and stimulate the tax base. Exotic dancing increases... and stimulates the... I know Chambers of Commerce that would take them all (well, maybe the dancing should be just over the county line).
Mike you make me Turgid - not that there is anything wrong with that

Mastiff

Gunfighter
This should have been a check-box poll!

Why should I only have to pick one?!

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Re: Prison

TexasPlanner said:
It's gotta be one of the safest places to be.. I mean, what idiot is going to stick around the prison if he escapes.. no, he's going to jet right over to the nearest "houston-style" strip club he can find and throw back drinks with the councilmen...
Having grown up within a mile of a medium security facility for juvenile offenders, you'd be surprised how many of these rocket scientists don't make it that far. They in prison for one overriding reason - they are remarkably stupid.

sal95

Cyburbian
oh. . . how I miss home

Thanks for the memories! I grew up in Stinkadena, I mean Pasadena. . .the little blue-collar town south of Houston that is the actual home of those refineries. So, I pick living next to the refineries. . .you know- you can't even smell them after you've lived there a while. My school bus in junior high and high school would pass my the infamous Gilley's bar on its way to school. And yes, my dad is an ironworker and my mom works for an oil company.

prudence

Cyburbian
Re: Prison

TexasPlanner said:
...in the town my Mom's ranch is in...

If I had a dollar for every time I heard that statement...

And I'll refrain from the bareback jokes...

Status
Not open for further replies.