• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free (as in "free beer"). It's easy to join in!

Health 🏥 Wounds

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
While no one particularly enjoys getting wounded (except you, you sicko. Put down the riding crop and leather teddy. You know who I'm talking to!) we all have our ways of coping with it whenever the misfortune befalls us. Some folks have a medicine cabinet that resembles Mayo clinic, with every type of gauze bandage and antibiotic ointment known to man, while others have nothing but a 12 year old half empty box of Bandaids or a dirty hankie. I remember when I was a kid my mother kept a bottle of Mercurochrome antiseptic handy. This was back when then they didn't know about how little it takes to get mercury poisoning. Later, that got replaced by Bactine.

I live with an accident prone person who is more or less always sick or injured, so our medicine cabinet is of the Mayo Clinic variety. There's been a few times where we maybe only had pokemon bandaids available but otherwise short of losing a limb, we're equipped for the emergency.

Given the choice between: burns, cuts, punctures, or abrasions, I'd go with cuts. Burns would make the bottom of the list for me. How about your First Aid knowledge and supplies?

1621965131403.png
1621965157917.png
1621965221640.png

Last edited:
Reactions: JNA

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
How about your First Aid knowledge and supplies?

View attachment 51736 View attachment 51737 View attachment 51738

My first aid knowledge is pretty much limited to the very basic stuff they taught us in boot camp:

• Stop the bleeding
  • Restore the breathing
  • Protect the wound
  • Treat for shock
Oh... and I also know how to apply a tourniquet, that Motrin cures all, and that particular injury probably could have been avoided by drinking more water.

I've found that our first aid supplies at home have been woefully inadequate. A couple years ago I took a very nasty fall while I was running near my in-laws house and tore up my knee pretty badly (bad enough that I probably should have gone to urgent care to avoid the horrible scar I now have). My FIL brought out a big box of bandages, moleskin, medical tape, burn creams, antiseptics, etc. and I was impressed with how well stocked they were until I started looking at the individual packages and realized almost all of them had price stickers on them from a local pharmacy that closed sometime back in the early '90s (I have a feeling that a lot of home first aid kits are similar). After we got back to our house the next day and I went to re-dress my wound, I realized all we really had was some Neosporin and small Hello Kitty Band-Aids so I had to go to the pharmacy to stock up.

Thankfully our kids have been pretty accident-free over the years but if that weren't the case, we'd probably have more stuff.

Last summer I got bit by a horsefly around my ankle and a day or two later it was about double in size and the next day it was oozing puss. My treatment consisted of me calling my dad and asking if that was normal. Keep in mind, my dad has less medical knowledge than myself and my mom was a pharmacist so I probably could have gotten some more useful information from her. In my dad's defense, he did tell me I should probably go see a doctor.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I had a memorable abrasion where I wiped out as a kid on my bike on gravel. I was going pretty fast when it happened and I got abrasions all along my right leg. Not only did I find myself afterwards swaddled in gauze, but ended up having to pick tiny bits of gravel out of infected skin for weeks afterwards.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
I had a memorable abrasion where I wiped out as a kid on my bike on gravel. I was going pretty fast when it happened and I got abrasions all along my right leg. Not only did I find myself afterwards swaddled in gauze, but ended up having to pick tiny bits of gravel out of infected skin for weeks afterwards.
Oh I did that. Still have the scars. Based on them I think I slid a little my right side (ankle, knee, hip shoulder, elbow, wrist, pinkie finger) and skinned them all pretty good then rolled over to my left side and did that side up pretty good. You can still see several of the scars.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I was going a hill road in a wagon when I was a kid. The wagon tipped over half way down the hill and I slid the rest of the way down. I was wearing shorts at the time. I had scars on my legs from that for years.

Here recently, I fell into a hawthorn bush while wearing shorts. It pretty much tore up my left leg. I still have scars from that on my one leg.

I have scars on my fingers from working in restaurants in college. Those are still visible.

Finally, I still have a nasty looking scar on my side from a semi botched appendectomy when I was a kid. It's one of the reasons I always wear a shirt except when I showering.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
I was an EMT & on the hire list for the Professional Ski Patrol

Airway
Breathing
Circulation - bleeding or CPR
Disability - fracture / cervical immobilization also danger - always first - is the scene safe for you then them
Exposure - from the weather & Evacuate

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
This weekend just reminded me of another annoying wound - splinters. I got three splinters in my palm. Invariably you never get them completely out until after they get infected and cause sufficient grief and discomfort.

TOFB

Cyburbian
I got a spider bite this weekend and it is still bothering me. Poisonous spiders are pretty rare in these parts but I am still watching it pretty closely.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
This weekend just reminded me of another annoying wound - splinters. I got three splinters in my palm. Invariably you never get them completely out until after they get infected and cause sufficient grief and discomfort.

I think metal splinters/shavings are the absolute worst.