• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Wow! Warmer in Toledo than North Florida

Jeff

Cyburbian
Allright, so all you environmental geeks, what does global warming have to do with this? When has it ever been 30 degrees in FL?

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
I can recall seeing citrus growers with these big heaters out in the fields, i recall them spraying the trees down with water so the ice would protect the plans (i dont get it but ok) and seeing ice on oranges. so it had to get below 32 for that to happen.

I have pictures of me as a kid playing in snow in Panama City Beach-on the beach.

does not feel like global warming in DC-i belive someone told me the River is frozen over. burrrrr

donk

Cyburbian
They spray the trees with water so that the water freezes first and not the fruit. The ice then actually acts as insulation from further damage. I had to do this a few times when I worked at a nursery in HS for some of our more delicate plants. The "smudge" pots also act to draw moisture out of the air by attracting it to the particles in the "smudge". The "smudge' also makes the air drier and therefore warmer for plants(at least that's what i have been told, could be an old farmer's tale)

Jeff

Cyburbian
It's all because the ice caps are melting...it's got to have something to do with this cold weather. The Delaware River is frozen 2' thick. The Coast Guard was out there last night breaking the ice so the ships could get into port.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
wow having just been to Philly it boggles my mind to think of the river as frozen, all those big ships. but then again if the river here is frozen...

the surpise snow last night did not help things-i think we have had some sorta snow on the ground now for...wow the first one fell Dec 6?

sigh

ecofem

Cyburbian
Yes. We are freezing our niblets off here in North Florida. I know that for folks in the North... our teen temps are no big deal.... but at least most of you have snow to show for it!

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
It was 24 d. with a brisk wind at my house at 7 a.m., just north of Orlando. I could already see some of the plants in my yard had frozen, although I had covered as many as I could.

Nothing here is insulated, so when it's below freezing we have to run water all night so our pipes don't freeze up.