• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

WTC Reconstruction and Skyscrapers

luciensteil

Dear listers

This is my first post on this list and I have been browsing through a lot of your post files. I thought that the WTC reconstruction was astonishingly out of the range of topic priorities! Considering the passionate and even challenging messages which occured just right after the tragedy and the kind of apathy about the issue now, I would like to question the fact that this most horrible tragedy and the vision of a dignified reconstruction seems to have ended in the fatalistically accepted logics of uninspired bureacracy and real estate contingencies!

The question of highrise megastructures and overdensification and generally the opportunity to investigate into options of reconstruction beyond the single-minded hubris of technological ostentation and architectural experimentation seems to have little follow-up...

Normally it is now at a point were first shock emotions and reactions have settled that the debate on the WTC reconstruction should continue and continue with passion in the perspective of an even more beautiful and significant new, inhabitable and memorable Manhattan!

My thread would be about the fact of the skyscraper tradition of NY and I would question prior mails asking for an acceleration of height and for a provocative verticality as a kind of symbolical
imposition on the planning of NY and as an necessary icon for the expression of a free world which has been so painfully shattered by the murderous aggression of September 11th!!

I would like to think on the contrary that a reconstruction based on more convivial typologies and expressing a variety of scales, would be by far a more authentic tribute to the memory of NY and the legitimate expectations of comfort, happiness and safety of its inhabitants.

The skyscraper as an typology has, in my sense, lost any purpose of urban civility (unlike the wonderful historic skyscrapers) and they have degenerated in self-referential expressions of technological hubris and speculations of some hypothetic architectural purity.

Rather than being celebrations of the city integrated in a beautifully positive vision of a metropolitan urban culture, they have become vertical suburbs, of a kind which does not distinguish them fundamentally from those which are undiscernedly built all over the provincial megalopoli of Third World countries, symbolizing in a most striking way the contradictions and aberrations of globalization, rather than the enlighted symbols of the free world and its high ideals of democracy and cultural excellence.

The history of reconstructions after natural or manmade destructions give us many lessons about the fact that the rebuilding of a lost homeland is not about replicating it but about emulating the best of it! I am afraid that I have not felt much development in the visions of the WTC site reconstruction
and have not really found concepts which seem to understand NY as something more than a permanent highrise experiment!

Best regards

Lucien Steil

http://luciensteil.tripod.com/katarxis

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
One option

Yeah I know this is old, but the discourse on reconstruction has been such blather of late....

luciensteil

WTC Reconstruction

Dear Bturk

What is this image? Your proposal?

Would be nice to give more info on it. I don't get the message right. This looks like a monument to a new species of men, adorers of some occult urban gods?

Best regards

Lucien Steil

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Re: WTC Reconstruction

luciensteil wrote:
This looks like a monument to a new species of men, adorers of some occult urban gods?
Looks to me like it's NYC givin' the finger to the Man...