• Cyburbia is a fun, friendly, big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account, or use your email address.

WTF Wednesday

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Things to do during my vacation that really don't have much 'vacation' about them include:
paint trim on house
probably have uncomfortable discussion with a family member
get brakes fixed
read books about various psychological disorders
'celebrate' Father's Day with FIL
keep on top of Junior's tutoring

terraplnr

Cyburbian
My employer might be laying off 200 employees today... budget woes due partially to retirement pension obligations and decisions. Fortunately the Planning Dept. is safe. This probably isn't very PC of me to say but it pisses me off that people are losing their jobs but the retirees won't be affected at all.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a new car and I have worked so hard to keep it clean and today I took the trash to the dump and one of the bags leaked all over the seat :-c:'(+o(x|:eek:|:wall::x::toilet:

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Odd, it seems like there were more fireworks going off in the neighborhood on Sunday and Monday nights than on the 4th itself. Usually neighborhood fireworks continue unabated until a good five days or so after Independence Day. We'll see how it goes tonight.

DVD

Cyburbian
The neighborhood had a bunch on the 3rd and did a good show on the 4th. My hood is usually pretty good about being done on the 4th.

kms

Cyburbian
A job applicant called up to find out what time his interview is, postponed it 30 minutes and still isn't here.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Penne with white clam sauce for breakfast today - I make strange choices sometimes...

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
My breakfast choice this morning = coffee.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I had my teeth cleaned yesterday. Ever feel reluctant to eat something after you've had a good dental cleaning? Your teeth feel so clean and you really don't want to gunk them up eating Doritos or pepperoni pizza.

kms

Cyburbian
I had my teeth cleaned yesterday. Ever feel reluctant to eat something after you've had a good dental cleaning? Your teeth feel so clean and you really don't want to gunk them up eating Doritos or pepperoni pizza.
I'm in dental cleaning prep mode. No garlic until after my appointment tomorrow.

Planit

Cyburbian
I'm in dental cleaning prep mode. No garlic until after my appointment tomorrow.
Eat a couple Oreos in the waiting room before your go back to see the hygienist. That would be fun. :D

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Eat a couple Oreos in the waiting room before your go back to see the hygienist. That would be fun. :D
It would make the hygienist's job much easier by visibly showing where food accumulates on one's teeth. Takes all the guesswork out of it.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
It would make the hygienist's job much easier by visibly showing where food accumulates on one's teeth. Takes all the guesswork out of it.
Oh. My. God. This comment just reminded me of 2nd grade when we had a teeth brushing session. They would give us these purpose tablets to put in your mouth and they would allegedly stick to all the plaque on your teeth and you had to brush them until it was gone. It was easily the worst tasting stuff I've ever put in my mouth. I used to fake taking my tablet and stand in a corner brushing my teeth so the teacher wouldn't know. It was awful!

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
So, there are five new items and one old item on the next ZBA agenda. That's about twice as many cases we normally deal with.

DVD

Cyburbian
If you're dropping off kids at school just wait in line with the rest of the cars along the curb until you get close enough. Stop driving around everyone to steal the spot of the car that just left.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I get that we women are done with men saying "Hey, smile!" and they can't accept a frown as a resting face but I am so done with women scowling as they drive past you, say in a parking lot, if someone makes eye contact with me like that, I give a pleasant half smile and lately it is met with a stuck up scowl - really? in this world of ignorance right now, can we just give a half pleasant look to each other when acquainted, even for a mere 2 seconds? wtf

Salmissra

Cyburbian
My boss is still on vacation. She went on her first longer than a 3 day weekend since starting here, and is in Europe.

My day started with the City Manager (CM) emailing me at 5:00am requesting my presence at a 7:30 meeting. I didn't even see the email until 6:30, by which it's too late to change the morning routine. So I beg my building inspector to go, since he lives close by. Problem? It's the first day of school here. So my BI takes his daughter with him (she sat in the car, but still). I end up missing the entire meeting because of a wreck on the first leg of my journey.

Now I'm stressing over something else, as well. It's a deal that I can't give out details, but the attorney is so slow in responding, so the CM and I are already talking to the other party before the attorney evens finishes reading the damn thing.

I'm in interviews for a GC for a city project all day, yet still have to get sh!t done for tomorrow's CC meeting. Plus I need to get a staff report done for a non-compliant shed in the historic district, and right now I really don't care that it's non-compliant.

This is all in addition to regularly scheduled work activities.

I want to curl up under my desk and suck my thumb.

kms

Cyburbian
I get that we women are done with men saying "Hey, smile!" and they can't accept a frown as a resting face but I am so done with women scowling as they drive past you, say in a parking lot, if someone makes eye contact with me like that, I give a pleasant half smile and lately it is met with a stuck up scowl - really? in this world of ignorance right now, can we just give a half pleasant look to each other when acquainted, even for a mere 2 seconds? wtf
It goes for men, too. I've begun mimicking their sullen expressions after they pass me. Maybe I'll understand why they're sullen.

DVD

Cyburbian
I've got a guy complaining about a bunch of properties. The fun part, his ex owns the land after the divorce and the problem was something he did and she just got stuck with. Stuff like his then wife did a home business to do dog grooming. It's okay as long as you don't charge to board the dogs. He's saying she's got all kinds of kennels. :r:

gtpeach

Cyburbian
I was informed yesterday that the organizers of the big music festival that takes place in my new locality each year give out staff passes to all kinds of county staff and their family members. Some of them make sense - Economic Development probably should get a staff pass, I get that the County Administrator could possibly need a pass for a legitimate work purpose. Building Official definitely should be able to get in if needed.
But I declined a pass based on the AICP code of ethics, which turned into a huge ordeal. I did buy a one-day pass because it seemed really important to them that I go, and between the pass and parking, it cost me $175. For ONE out of FOUR days.

But why does anyone from the IT department need passes? And why are family members getting free passes? All the Board members and their spouses? And apparently they had lawyers look into it and review it. I'm super uncomfortable with this, but I guess all I can do is set myself apart at this point.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I was informed yesterday that the organizers of the big music festival that takes place in my new locality each year give out staff passes to all kinds of county staff and their family members. Some of them make sense - Economic Development probably should get a staff pass, I get that the County Administrator could possibly need a pass for a legitimate work purpose. Building Official definitely should be able to get in if needed.
But I declined a pass based on the AICP code of ethics, which turned into a huge ordeal. I did buy a one-day pass because it seemed really important to them that I go, and between the pass and parking, it cost me $175. For ONE out of FOUR days.

But why does anyone from the IT department need passes? And why are family members getting free passes? All the Board members and their spouses? And apparently they had lawyers look into it and review it. I'm super uncomfortable with this, but I guess all I can do is set myself apart at this point.
Alternatively....you could not over think it. ;)

kms

Cyburbian
To the guy who sent me an email while I was gone, then left a phone message asking me if I got his email:

Did you receive my email "away" message? You know, the one that said I'd return Wednesday at 7:00 AM.

I hate when people do that. It's a quick route to the end of the list.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
IT and their consultant scheduled a meeting last week with my division heads and me for tomorrow (Thursday) between 3 and 5 because I was not available today. This morning at 9, I get an email from IT telling me the meeting was rescheduled for today. "RJ, just get there when you can." And one of my division heads could not attend because of a doctor's appointment. I vented to my ACM, "I thought they worked for us!"

imaplanner

Cyburbian

The longer I work in this field the more I realize that ethics are misunderstood, underated and often undesireable. AICP or no. I've seen AICP planners do some unethical things, and non AICP planners hold to incredibly high ethical standards.

If it's a long standing arrangement, I wouldn't question it too much. Festivals that rely on drawing in out of towners often give all sorts of locals free passes as a sort of thank you to the community. Maybe it's simply that sort of sentiment. If you had nothing to do with the permitting then it's not really an AICP ethical dilemma IMO.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I've got a guy complaining about a bunch of properties. The fun part, his ex owns the land after the divorce and the problem was something he did and she just got stuck with. Stuff like his then wife did a home business to do dog grooming. It's okay as long as you don't charge to board the dogs. He's saying she's got all kinds of kennels. :r:
Long time ago, I got pulled into a divorce case. The couple was splitting up and the wife was ratting out the soon-to-be-ex husband on an illegal business. That was a fun day.:r:

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I've eaten breakfast at McDonalds twice this week. Wonder what's driving the compulsion?

MD Planner

Cyburbian
I've eaten breakfast at McDonalds twice this week. Wonder what's driving the compulsion?
I guess I'm one of the rare people that really doesn't like their breakfast stuff. When they made the big deal about "breakfast all day" I was the guy saying, "why can't I get lunch all day?" That's why I love Waffle House, if I want a patty melt at 7 in the morning I can get it with no questions asked!

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I guess I'm one of the rare people that really doesn't like their breakfast stuff. When they made the big deal about "breakfast all day" I was the guy saying, "why can't I get lunch all day?" That's why I love Waffle House, if I want a patty melt at 7 in the morning I can get it with no questions asked!
Because there's nothing worse than getting eyed suspiciously when ordering a sandwich at breakfast time.

People that can't color inside the lines get reported to the Powers That Be, Bub. Don't you know real Americans order: two eggs over easy with a side of hash browns, sausage links, wheat toast, and a cup of coffee for breakfast.

kms

Cyburbian
Booger. A female engineer came in for a meeting. She grew up with brothers, and I'll just say that she's kind of awkward. Very nice, just awkward. She sniffled a little, brushed the back of her hand across her nose, and left a booger on her nostril. Just let me say that, while this is gross, I also find it incredible funny. I had to smile into my hand. I thought at one point that she noticed it and was wiping it away, but she just rolled it to a more prominent place at the end of her nose. She eventually brushed it off, and I chose not to shake hands with her when the meeting ended.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Booger. A female engineer came in for a meeting. She grew up with brothers, and I'll just say that she's kind of awkward. Very nice, just awkward. She sniffled a little, brushed the back of her hand across her nose, and left a booger on her nostril. Just let me say that, while this is gross, I also find it incredible funny. I had to smile into my hand. I thought at one point that she noticed it and was wiping it away, but she just rolled it to a more prominent place at the end of her nose. She eventually brushed it off, and I chose not to shake hands with her when the meeting ended.
Okay, now that post is truly worthy of a wtf!

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Because there's nothing worse than getting eyed suspiciously when ordering a sandwich at breakfast time.

People that can't color inside the lines get reported to the Powers That Be, Bub. Don't you know real Americans order: two eggs over easy with a side of hash browns, sausage links, wheat toast, and a cup of coffee for breakfast.
What kind of health kick are you on? Wheat toast?

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
There really isn't any 'win' when it comes to evacuation orders, is there? Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
There really isn't any 'win' when it comes to evacuation orders, is there? Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Maybe just maybe
when you need to fill up your gas tank and the gas station you pull into still has gas to pump.
you can go to family, who has room, extra water & food; so you don't have to pay for a hotel room (if you can get one) or stay in a shelter.

gtpeach

Cyburbian
The longer I work in this field the more I realize that ethics are misunderstood, underated and often undesireable. AICP or no. I've seen AICP planners do some unethical things, and non AICP planners hold to incredibly high ethical standards.

If it's a long standing arrangement, I wouldn't question it too much. Festivals that rely on drawing in out of towners often give all sorts of locals free passes as a sort of thank you to the community. Maybe it's simply that sort of sentiment. If you had nothing to do with the permitting then it's not really an AICP ethical dilemma IMO.
My department is responsible for the special use permit that allowed them to have the festival and then I sign off on the actual temporary event permit. So, I am one of the reviewers/approvers for the event.

I just think it's bad practice. And now I found out one of the Board members was pressuring the sheriff to overlook drug use/dealing at the event because it was "good for the county." Pot's one thing, but there were a lot of harder drugs there as well that we saw people using first hand. I'm clearly not the target audience for this type of event, and I'm good if I never experience it again.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
My department is responsible for the special use permit that allowed them to have the festival and then I sign off on the actual temporary event permit. So, I am one of the reviewers/approvers for the event.

I just think it's bad practice. And now I found out one of the Board members was pressuring the sheriff to overlook drug use/dealing at the event because it was "good for the county." Pot's one thing, but there were a lot of harder drugs there as well that we saw people using first hand. I'm clearly not the target audience for this type of event, and I'm good if I never experience it again.
Where I work, they stress that the best way to avoid a conflict of interest is to avoid even the mere appearance of a conflict of interest. Listen to your inner Jiminy Cricket. Better to have a clean conscience and maybe a little less fun, than to have someone point an accusing finger at you. It's just not worth it.

gtpeach

Cyburbian
Where I work, they stress that the best way to avoid a conflict of interest is to avoid even the mere appearance of a conflict of interest. Listen to your inner Jiminy Cricket. Better to have a clean conscience and maybe a little less fun, than to have someone point an accusing finger at you. It's just not worth it.
That's my philosophy. I don't want to give anyone any ammunition to use against me if they decide they have a personal vendetta against me or the decisions I make.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I agree whole heartily. Working in the government means you have to be beyond reproach. Anything that affects your credibility makes the job that much harder to do.

Habanero

Cyburbian
A guy just wanting to do good things for the community (aren't we all), is upset because of a business that went in without inspections, a sign that was installed without permits, and how unfair the entire system is because he has to come into compliance. Oh, and the use isn't actually allowed by-right in the district so... Fun stuff.