• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

WTF Wednesday

michaelskis

Cyburbian
There is a lot I can deal with, but I am just about at the end of my rope in dealing with the transportation company that the school uses to bring my middle son to kindergarten.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
My head got all turned around after Labor Day and I though Tuesday was Monday and Wednesday was Tues, so I understand mskis posting on this thread on a Thursday.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I don't do storm water calculations. That's why engineers exist.

kms

Cyburbian
I went on a joint inspection with another agency today, and it seems like it's going to be the Alice's Restaurant Massacree all over.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I called in sick yesterday. I am better today.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Mrs. Maister is sick today. What is it about Wednesdays?

Salmissra

Cyburbian
I came to work suffering from I believe is allergies. This area saw a rise in ragweed recently, and my head is letting me know it. But with the rain yesterday and hopefully again today, the pollen will wash away for a while.

Planit

Cyburbian
Sitting in conference session bored to tears - but at least I get credits.

DVD

Cyburbian
Can't convince my assistant about the ag exempt laws. She keeps going back to what the last planner and attorney talked about. Did I mention the last planner was an idiot who couldn't read state statutes correctly? My assistant even said she got confused all the time over the difference between municipal and county enabling acts which gets crazy because we use both.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
OMG fall allergies wtf - I look like I am hungover and just had a big crying spell right now - living on Zyrtec and ibuprofen but I still look puffed up :-$ wtf

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Ever notice how short work weeks frequently feel like the longest?

kms

Cyburbian
If, in July, I tell someone not to rinse their muddy truck tires into a creek that regularly floods and damages property, why are you still doing it in October?

michaelskis

Cyburbian
If, in July, I tell someone not to rinse their muddy truck tires into a creek that regularly floods and damages property, why are you still doing it in October?
Because it is not July...

I have been sleeping like crap lately. I am going to see a Doctor about it tomorrow because it is getting ridiculous. I am also thinking about investing in a white noise machine. Does anyone else have one and if so, how do you like it?

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
Ever notice how short work weeks frequently feel like the longest?

I think this is because your brain goes into such a state of atrophy by that third weekend day, that it's hard to bounce back: Hence the four day week seems like six. This is especially true if the Monday is the holiday instead of Friday. Weeks in which you work Monday to Thursday and Friday is a holiday, which are much more rare, don't seem to be affected by this. At least in my case.

Solution: Have all Mondays off so that your brain gets used to that three day weekend.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I think this is because your brain goes into such a state of atrophy by that third weekend day, that it's hard to bounce back: Hence the four day week seems like six. This is especially true if the Monday is the holiday instead of Friday. Weeks in which you work Monday to Thursday and Friday is a holiday, which are much more rare, don't seem to be affected by this. At least in my case.

Solution: Have all Mondays off so that your brain gets used to that three day weekend.
See, I was thinking it was because 100% of the workload gets crammed into 80% of the usual time

michaelskis

Cyburbian
It was only a few degrees above freezing this morning. Despite it still being warm in the house, the kids did not want to get up and get ready for school. Then when they did they proceeded to be defiant with everything under the sun. It was a long morning full of stuff that I could have done without.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I don't think the temps have even gotten to the 30's YET. Normally, our first frost date in our neck of the woods is around October 10 :-| We are seeing more strange weather patterns the last couple years than we've ever experienced in my previous half century of existence.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
A very comfortable 53 coming to work this morning. Car window was down and I was wearing my normal polo shirt. It was great.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
So Junior collected 9 lbs of candy last night. That is way more candy than anyone needs. Maybe some of that should get donated to a worthy cause

gtpeach

Cyburbian
They blocked facebook at work. :( Sadly, I actually do use it for work purposes sometimes. In between the running political commentary I have with a couple friends through FB messenger. At least I can still ask my super obvious planning/zoning questions here. Until they catch on and block this, too. Then I guess I'll just have to use my cell phone.

kms

Cyburbian
Oh Thursday, where are you?

Boss out sick, coworker presenting at conference in NYC and forgot credit card authorization for hotel, well, forgot to fill one out, and impromptu meeting with board member. I'm done with Wednesday, but Wednesday isn't done with me.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Sometimes it is more effective to have things completed in a timely manner instead of waiting to the last possible minute. I am not a fan of the last possible minute, but it seems many other in my organization have operated this way for quite some time. I still love where I work and the the people I work with, but it is hard for me to do my job effectively when I don't have the required information until 20 minutes before the report is due.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I definitely subscribe to the "GOOD, FAST, CHEAP: pick which two you'd like" theory. My auto mechanic is good and he's cheap, but if you need your car fixed by a particular day or time, best take one's business elsewhere.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
WONDERFUL.... for the past few months, I have been somewhat under the radar from a Community Facebook Group that does not like Town Hall all that much. But this morning I was informed that my cover is blown. They posted that I work there and the person I replaced (who was female) along with a link to my Linked-In page. Apparently someone is not happy that I am a guy replacing a girl, despite her moving on to advance her career. :-@

On and this week I have a public hearing for a controversial item on the agenda.

DVD

Cyburbian
WONDERFUL.... for the past few months, I have been somewhat under the radar from a Community Facebook Group that does not like Town Hall all that much. But this morning I was informed that my cover is blown. They posted that I work there and the person I replaced (who was female) along with a link to my Linked-In page. Apparently someone is not happy that I am a guy replacing a girl, despite her moving on to advance her career. :-@

On and this week I have a public hearing for a controversial item on the agenda.
Have you told them to go F themselves? That always makes me feel better.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
When those kinds of folks show up at meetings and I know they don't like me for whatever reason I just sit there the whole time with one of those smiles that says "bless your heart". I have ZERO problem conveying that I think they are full of it. As long as you're pleasant what are they going to do? Plus it really gets under their skin when you ignore them.

Michele Zone

BANNED
Apparently someone is not happy that I am a guy replacing a girl, despite her moving on to advance her career.

Sounds like the perfect defense there.

"Yes, it is ever so tragic that she moved on to advance her career. This is clear evidence of the department and me personally being up to sexist no good."

Only, maybe a little more just the facts and less snark.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Have you told them to go F themselves? That always makes me feel better.
I would if I could.

Sounds like the perfect defense there.

"Yes, it is ever so tragic that she moved on to advance her career. This is clear evidence of the department and me personally being up to sexist no good."

Only, maybe a little more just the facts and less snark.
I don't think that they are angry that she took a new job with another community that was an advancement, as much as I am a guy. But one person in particular seems to be offended that any guys work here.

But I personally find a thin level of snark to be very appropriate on occasion.

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member

Meh, I don't bother with community facebook groups. I've been called and accused of all kinds of things on the one for the city I work for. To give you perspective, they fat-shamed Mrs. Claus on the page this year following our big holiday event.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Meh, I don't bother with community facebook groups. I've been called and accused of all kinds of things on the one for the city I work for. To give you perspective, they fat-shamed Mrs. Claus on the page this year following our big holiday event.
Normally, it would not be an issue. But this group was hostile towards staff during the election and I have seen these people out at stores and restaurants before. I was enjoying my low profile... but that is gone now.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
The week between Christmas and New Years is remarkably odd. There's no other week on the calendar where expectations are so high that one's office will not be open. It makes for a good time to get a lot things done internally, but damn near impossible when it requires input/cooperation from outside agencies.

gtpeach

Cyburbian
This is our first day back from vacation. And I have a Planning Commission work session/meeting tonight. Yay...

MD Planner

Cyburbian
This is our first day back from vacation. And I have a Planning Commission work session/meeting tonight. Yay...
Wow. I've worked in local government for a long time and I've never heard of a public meeting being scheduled the week between Christmas and New Year's.

gtpeach

Cyburbian
Wow. I've worked in local government for a long time and I've never heard of a public meeting being scheduled the week between Christmas and New Year's.
Yeah... it wasn't my idea. The schedule was set before I came on board. I'm working on changing the meetings to the third Wednesday of the month instead of the third to avoid this next year.

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
I attempted to take yesterday off to hang out with the family, catch up on some sleep, and clean up a bit around the house.

Around 1030, I got a phone call from work...

then another...

then an email...

then another...

And 4 hours later, I went back to my 'day off'. I may have to try it again next Tuesday and see if it works better.

kms

Cyburbian
I attempted to take yesterday off to hang out with the family, catch up on some sleep, and clean up a bit around the house.

Around 1030, I got a phone call from work...

then another...

then an email...

then another...

And 4 hours later, I went back to my 'day off'. I may have to try it again next Tuesday and see if it works better.
You described the last two weeks at my job. It took me until two nights ago to sleep all night.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Fact: there is a much greater chance one's car will experience mechanical difficulties when the temps are in single digits. :not:

michaelskis

Cyburbian
We are in a winter storm warning and they are predicting up to 6 inches of snow. Most the school districts, daycares, and such on this side of the state are closed, most the day cares are closed, and many governments (not mine) are closed as well. 36 hours ago, the said that the snow would start on Tuesday night. As of right now, we have no snow, but there is zero question that it will arrive sometime today and based on the video from places 30 minutes from here, it is going to look like a winter wonderland by tonight. Apparently the storm is moving much slower than they thought it would... which results in higher snow fall totals.

Wife is working today, and depending on the snow conditions this afternoon, she might not get to come home until tomorrow.

Planit

Cyburbian
First it was a 2 hr delay that changed to closed. Took wife to get her computer @ work. It was slippery. Sat and watched t18-wheeler try to get up a Hill 5 times (& impressively back down said hill too).

4.5” & still falling.

kms

Cyburbian
I’ve had it up to here with a certain engineer who worked long enough for government to be an insider when it comes to permitting and violations.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
We had our cold snap (down to 13 this morning) and now the temp has crept above freezing. Unlike other parts of the state we had no sleet/snow/ice/whatever fall. I've heard we're looking at 70s this weekend.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
How is it that a developer builds all the infrastructure for a 25 lot development without final municipal approval? We all thought it was in the planning stages until the new engineer asked why they needed a preconstruction meeting if the construction was almost complete. :-c

kms

Cyburbian
How is it that a developer builds all the infrastructure for a 25 lot development without final municipal approval? We all thought it was in the planning stages until the new engineer asked why they needed a preconstruction meeting if the construction was almost complete. :-c
We call those pre-completion meetings, and document a violation.

Top Bottom