• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

Daily things 5️⃣ WTF Wednesday

Image may contain: meme and text

When is Hump Day THIS WEEK?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

1599676833056.png

Hay! When is MY Hump Day?

Attachments

• 1599675920523.png
    1599675920523.png
    47.8 KB · Views: 0

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I truly do not think most of the general public understands that a FOIA request is a request for existing documents, and not an opportunity to make staff answer whatever questions you ask.

Is it just me?

kms

Cyburbian
I truly do not think most of the general public understands that a FOIA request is a request for existing documents, and not an opportunity to make staff answer whatever questions you ask.

Is it just me?
I have a repeat customer who requests records and asks questions. It's not just you.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I have a repeat customer who requests records and asks questions. It's not just you.
I'm okay with producing existing records, what I take issue with are folks that ask the city to collate and interpret requested data. Essentially, to generate reports for citizens upon request.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I'm okay with producing existing records, what I take issue with are folks that ask the city to collate and interpret requested data. Essentially, to generate reports for citizens upon request.
We do a document dump. That's it. No collation. No interpretation. Nothing.

It's particularly satisfying when the request is for "The History of Everything" and the law director says it's an acceptable request.

Last edited:

DVD

Cyburbian
I used to just write document does not exist. It frustrated the hell out of one particular person.

MD Planner

Cyburbian

Is it just me?

Oh they absolutely do not understand. FOIA does not in any way say that you have to CREATE documents, only provide what already exists.

DVD

Cyburbian
Side WTF. I work for a large city so I handle just a few hundred emails in a day. So I get this email...

"Any word on my submittal?"

Well, I would love to look that up for you, but maybe give me an address, parcel, project, permit number, anything more than your name in an email.

bureaucrat#3

Why are we faxing anything in 2021?
Every year we have a conversation about why we need to keep a fax machine. We have two less than stellar mobile home park owners who submit site plans through fax. Maybe a total of 15 real faxes a year.

I still have not figured out how they get the bar napkin they drew the plan on through their fax machine.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Every year we have a conversation about why we need to keep a fax machine. We have two less than stellar mobile home park owners who submit site plans through fax. Maybe a total of 15 real faxes a year.

I still have not figured out how they get the bar napkin they drew the plan on through their fax machine.
We might get four or five legit faxes over the course of a year. Email with attachments made facsimile technology obsolete. And when was that? - certainly by the late 90's

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
We might get four or five legit faxes over the course of a year. Email with attachments made facsimile technology obsolete. And when was that? - certainly by the late 90's
We threw ours away. Still had people wanting to fax stuff (lawyers love faxes because it's not discoverable like email).

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
In preparation for our move to a new (old c.1845) city hall, I've been going through our old files. I have learned that fax paper does not archive very well. :nerd:

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
We still get them ourselves. Normally, they are just spam. Email, and zoom have pretty much made it irrelevant.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
We threw ours away. Still had people wanting to fax stuff (lawyers love faxes because it's not discoverable like email).
Mrs. Maister (a lawyer) made a point to tell me this too. That and the courts in general tend to be very conservative when it comes to adopting new technology.

kms

Cyburbian
We use a fax machine to send and receive documents with sensitive information. Our insurance provider never emails documents that might be HIPPA.

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
Mrs. Maister (a lawyer) made a point to tell me this too. That and the courts in general tend to be very conservative when it comes to adopting new technology.
Our Sec. State maintains that public records have got to be paper (or microfilm). For public bodies, we have to print meeting minutes off from time to time and keep them in binders in our vault. This is pretty much the only time a paper version is produced. Anybody who really is going to use them will go after the searchable PDF.

Why are we faxing anything in 2021?
Hang on, my beeper just went off. (I sense an outdated tech thread coming about...)

There's already an "outdated tech thread" in FAC- has a somewhat amusing title:

Telegrams, dot planimiters, white boards and fax machines (the archaic office equip thread)

First post (in 2012!) -
Seriously, who still uses fax machines? Scanners are very cheap and email is usually free.

BTW, who gets the credit for putting :rofl:dot planimiters:rofl: in the title?

estromberg

Cyburbian
Case in point:

Lawyers are literally the only users of WordPerfect.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
One of my cats peed in my shoe. 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬
It is not a medical issue. It is a stress situation I think.
We had a kitty that was very susceptible to stress, so I think you are probably right that it was stress. With all that's been going on in your life, not really surprising.

Hope kitty gets over it soon.:cat:

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Case in point:

Lawyers are literally the only users of WordPerfect.
100% My staff attorney is always complaining she can't figure out how to format something in Word so she sends it to me to do.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
So, I'm in the office today. It's pretty quiet.

All of a sudden, I hear a loud male voice talking about being slammed with paperwork and needing to get to work. Turns out he's way down the hall. He stepped into the hallway to have this conversation on his cell phone, instead of staying in his office (which has a door!), and his voice echoes down the hall to my office. I closed my door, and can still hear him.

Dude - you have an office with a door. Why are you out in the hall forcing me to listen to your half of a personal phone call?? :mad::mad:

All of a sudden, I hear a loud male voice talking about being slammed with paperwork and needing to get to work. Turns out he's way down the hall. He stepped into the hallway to have this conversation on his cell phone, instead of staying in his office (which has a door!), and his voice echoes down the hall to my office. I closed my door, and can still hear him.

Dude - you have an office with a door. Why are you out in the hall forcing me to listen to your half of a personal phone call?? :mad::mad:

Sal, can you say something to the dude like,
"The sound in the hallway echoes really loudly and people's private cell phone calls can be heard."

(I think it's called "taking action with 'passive-voice' grammar".)

kms

Cyburbian
One of my good friends has the luxury of not having to work. She'll text me through the day about things that annoy her. For example, her maid's assistant used the bathroom. The tax office isn't operating in person yet.

Oh, to have those problems.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Covid has done one positive thing for me: given me a renewed focus on vegetable gardening. I'm doing quite well on weeding, watering, harvesting and other garden tasks this year. This trend actually started during 2020, when being stuck at home was mandatory.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
In the office again today. Wednesday seems to be a generally good day to be here right now - most people still aren't coming in, and it's very quiet. Except for the property maintenance crew out mowing right now.

Going to review a case study my planner wrote, update my whiteboard, and get some things printed. I'll get my exercise by sending print jobs to the large printer on the other side of the building - one job at a time! And I'll probably try to leave a bit early - there's construction on the route home and I don't want to sit in it any longer than necessary.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I have tomorrow off, but today just keeps imposing more and more demands on me. Like the Universe doesn't really want me to have the time off tomorrow. :yell:

Planit

Cyburbian
There's a standing policy here called "kick the can down the round" on a few things. Its infuriating!