• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

X-TREME!!! office furniture!

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Dear sweet Jesus ... I was at Office Max this afternoon, where I came across the X-TREME!!! SPORTS CHAIR!!! The X-TREME!!! SPORTS CHAIR looked like any other cheap desk chair, but unlike the rest of the crowd, this one was X-TREME!!!

The X-TREME!!! chair didn't chase me around the store, it didn't try to tackle me, it didn't come with a matching snowboard and mountain bike, nor did it have a button that, when pushed, played Song 2 by Blur at 140 db. Still, though, it was X-TREME!!!

Hopefully, this signals the decline of the X-TREME!!! craze, where everything under the sun is being marketed as something wild and filled with attitude. An X-TREME!!! office chair? Maybe, somewhere, there is an X-TREME!!! fax machine and X-TREME!!! copier paper to go along with the chair.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Don't kid yourself. As the boomers age there will be extreme support hose, extreme laxitives, and extreme retirement villages.

Do the Dew, Dan!

Bullwinkle

Cyburbian
There's a town near me that markets itself as EXTREME! The only thing EXTREME! about that place is the boredom. I once saw a print ad produced by their Chamber of Commerce that actual listed "EXTREME! relaxation" as one of their many EXTREME! activities.

Bullwinkle said:
There's a town near me that markets itself as EXTREME! The only thing EXTREME! about that place is the boredom. I once saw a print ad produced by their Chamber of Commerce that actual listed "EXTREME! relaxation" as one of their many EXTREME! activities.
That sounds like some of the creative descriptions of the Mojave Desert I ran across when looking stuff up before I moved there. (We had no real choice -- you go where the army sends you.) They had all kinds of creative "emphasize the positive" descriptions of the peace and quiet, lack of people, enjoy the pristine wilderness, etc, etc. I and my sister about died laughing.

Ironically, I actually liked living there. :)

Seabishop

Cyburbian
There is a mountainous region of Spain called Extremadura -
beat that! When I was in Spain I noticed a kid with an Extremadura rock band t-shirt, so apparantly some Spanish band was smart enough to take that name straight up the charts.

The X-Treme craze will never end, it's been like 12 years now.

Does the surf rider chair come with a place to hold your weeeed?

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Ugh we also have this infection... the extreme yo-yo, extreme whatever...
In general publicists here are just a bunch of brainless zombies (at least that's what their horrible creations show), morronic ads, add the repetition factor, and you have more people not wanting to buy the product than people that do want to buy...

Seabishop

Cyburbian

Had enough X-Treme yet?
FEAR MY X-TREME RAGE!!!!!

Its like our country is being run by 12 year old boys.

carlomarx

Cyburbian
BW-

It took a while to load a picture, so I though that EXTREME GOLF (said through gritted teeth) would be a white-knuckled polo-style race through rough terrain whacking golf balls while rabid bears on motorcycles chased you around Idaho with flamethrowers .

Damn. No such luck. Just lame old golf carts and a placid lake. That's not even EXTREME boredom-- it's middle-of-the-road boredom!

Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got to go jump from a helicopter with a bungee cord around my EXTREME neck!!