• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Yay me!

Journeymouse

Cyburbian
Just thought I'd share my news :) As of August 2nd I will be a GIS Officer for Warwickshire Wildlife Trust (if you're ever in Warwick/Coventry/Stratford-upon-Avon area drop me a line!). I will be getting locked in a tiny room with three others for five days a week, but the good news is:

No more mosquito bites
Lots more time on the 'Net (so I'll be joining in more again)
Money!

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Congrats Jo....and welcome back! :b:

Budgie

Cyburbian
Congrats and welcome to cubicle hell. Stratford-Upon-Avon, birthplace of Willie Shake? Do you know where Castle Donington is?

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Sounds like a great job - and a beautiful part of the country to boot. We look forward to more of the mouse!

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Congrats :)

Please post the trust's website, hopefully with links to maps and photos.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Congratulations on the new position! And glad to hear you'll have most time on Cyburbia with the rest of us slackers. ;-)

Journeymouse

Cyburbian
Warwickshire Wildlife Trust website:
http://www.warwickshire-wildlife-trust.org.uk/

They don't have maps online yet - but I'll be working on it!

And yes, it is allegedly Shakeseare country - with all the Amercan tourists to prove it :-D However, I'd like to point out that he ran away to the bright lights of London, so I'd say it's more the 'Shakespeare abandoned country'...

I will be going to see the RSC, though. S'gotta be done.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Wow... congrats! It will be good to see your avatar floating around here more often. :)

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Congratulations on the new post. (For some odd reason, I have a mental image of a group of folks in some manor house basement working to break the enigma code ;-)). Look forward to seeing you arround here more often. :-D

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Journeymouse said:
(if you're ever in Warwick/Coventry/Stratford-upon-Avon area drop me a line!).
I may just have to. I'm planning an around-the-world trip for next year, with three or four days in the UK.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Congratulations!!!

If you don’t have a window, get a poster of a window for your cubicle. Also make sure that you get a good chair! Our GIS tech just got one, and I think it has everything except an electric seat heater…

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
[ot]
Rem said:
Oooooh, Sydney laefest?
Sydney is definitely a stop. Must-visit destinations are London, Johannesburg, Hong Kong, Sydney, and Aukland. The trick is filling in the blanks, and coming up with an interesting, month-long trip with an airfare of $4,000. I'd like to get a destination in South America in there, too, just so I can say that I've visited every continent except Antarctica.[/ot]

The One

Cyburbian
Flights

Dan said:
[ot]

Sydney is definitely a stop. Must-visit destinations are London, Johannesburg, Hong Kong, Sydney, and Aukland. The trick is filling in the blanks, and coming up with an interesting, month-long trip with an airfare of $4,000. I'd like to get a destination in South America in there, too, just so I can say that I've visited every continent except Antarctica.[/ot]
Dan: There used to be a flight from Harrare, Zimbabwe to Perth on Quantas, Rio to Harrare/Luande, Angola on Varig and I think one from Santiago to Tahiti to Fiji to Sydney or Cairns via Easter Islands on a twin engine otter :-c ....ha ha ha......just make sure Frenchy isn't conducting unauthorized nuclear testing north of Tahiti :-# ??? The southern hemisphere sure gets shafted on flights eh? Also a circumpolar route may have been started again by AeroLineas Aregentina from Buenos Aires to Sydney over the South Pole.....? One emergency landing away from Antarctica 8-!

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Although I joined after JourneyMouse was out, I'm glad you're back :) And congrats on the new job. :-}

[ot]
Dan, want to pass around my neck of the woods? That'd be nice :)
[/ot]

Journeymouse

Cyburbian
Well, think I've got the housing sorted so, if anyone is in the Warwick area September 10th-12th, you're invited to my housewarming! Just drop me a line :)