• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

YAY! TV is back!!!

Not that I really watch that much tv, but its so nice to race home from planning board every week to a new Gilmore Girls. And I hate to say it, but I'm sucked back into Survivor this season! What's everyone else excited (or not so much) about?

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Enterprise season 2, and Band of Brothers (finally being shown on "basic" cable)

I guess I'm waiting for CSI and Law and Order too.

Oh, and Hockey Night in Canada!

Tranplanner said:
I thought Futurama had been canned - I loved that show!
You might be right. That shows just how much I keep up with the networks. It's a great show but it had a very bad time slot and was always getting preempted during football season.

Glomer

Boston Public: my wife is a teacher.....she tries to make me believe that this is what it is really like to be a teacher. Of course these people stay at work until 10/11 every eventing and somehow my wife makes it home to watch the show......but it is really good.

Wil and Grace: Funny, Funny, Funny

Those are the only two I have time for.....if only I could figure out how to set my damn VCR.

el Guapo

Capitalist
I still mourn the cancelation of Lone Gunman
I love CSI except for the cheesy psudo-science every now and then.

tbombadill

Six Feet Under

If Nate is still with psycho/nympho/wacko Brenda at the end of this season, I'm swearin' off Alan Ball...

Although, Patricia Clarkson always gives me a thrill...blah..
T

nerudite

Cyburbian
I totally have ADD when it comes to television, so I don't watch too much. But... I'm looking forward to new episodes of The Simpsons, Futurama, and That 70's Show. We're into new episodes of Oz and South Park already (in Canada... which are probably from four seasons ago on HBO/Comedy Central ;) ). I couldn't stay awake for either last Friday. Oh well!

One thing I wish I could get here is Mystery Science Theatre 3000. Every once in awhile a friend of mine will remember to tape one and send it to me from the States. I miss that show more than anything on tv in the States. Of course Hockey Night in Canada makes up for it.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Sopranos without a doubt. Last night was soooo good. I love that show.

SouthSideSlayer

Cyburbian
Glomer said:
Boston Public: my wife is a teacher.....she tries to make me believe that this is what it is really like to be a teacher. Of course these people stay at work until 10/11 every eventing and somehow my wife makes it home to watch the show......but it is really good.

Haha!

Yeah, I hate to admit it, but I like that show...

It has the same producer as The Practice and Ally McBeal...

kms

Cyburbian
Everybody Loves Raymond, Will and Grace, NYPD Blue, Law and Order. If I get a minute or 30 or 60 to watch anything.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Absolutely nothing to do with TV

Finally remembered to post picture of my little guy....

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
There's only a few shows worth going out of your way to watch.

This, my friends, tops the list.

Got a problem with that? No? Good.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Dan said:
This, my friends, tops the list.
I'm through episode 6 of season 1 - was up till early hours this morning. It's quite adicting!

tbombadill

Why are there no TV shows about planners?

For example, I would sit comfortably for a half-hour of CSI:Miami, followed by ZHB: Toledo. I'll even pitch the first episode:

Drive-through beer store wants to expand to include a bikini car-wash. Then the viewers call-in-Approved or Denied? It's a money maker.

I see the sponsors lining up already.

Herve Villechaize could be the Zoning Officer (except now, he's saying "The plane is too close to the residential neighborhood, boss!)

Well, that turned into a long rant...

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
tbombadill said:
There is ... every other Thurday night, on cable channel 285. It's your local Planning and Zoning Board meeting, and all six viewers are enthralled with the non-stop, commercial-free planning action the show entails.

tbombadill

Yeah, I forgot, I used to watch, but the lighting was bad, the makeup was horrible, and everybody was +60. Ok, so maybe ZHB:malibu would be better, or at least would last more than two months (re: Chevy Chase Hour)
T

Journeymouse

Cyburbian
The 3rd season of Farscape just started in the UK and the 1st season of Enterprise started a month ago. Futurama's started up again, but I've seen most of them already as I have a friend that downloads them from the Internet. All in all, I have enough mainstream pseudo-science fiction to keep me happy (including a few cute men in leather trousers/relatively tight uniforms). On the down side, my current distraction is starting to look less distracting and is jealous. What can I say? I'm shallow and easily entertained! :D

Tom R

Cyburbian
ole frt

I still like old WKRP re-runs.
Turkeys plumetting out of the sky.
Jennifer kissing Johnny and Johnny passing out.
or
Johnny having an LSD flashback.

Hard to beat.

prudence

Cyburbian
Re: ole frt

Tom R said:
I still like old WKRP re-runs.
Turkeys plumetting out of the sky.
Jennifer kissing Johnny and Johnny passing out.
or
Johnny having an LSD flashback.

Hard to beat.
The best classic WKRP is the one where Venus and Johnny are on-air with a State Trooper to illustrate the effects of alcohol on reaction time. As they drink, the effects are gauged by hitting a button as a light goes on. The more they drink, the faster their reaction time becomes and the Trooper is screaming "That's not possible. You two are more coherent drunk than sober..."

Absolutely outstanding.

BTW, I watch The Sopranos, but I am not yet impressed this season. And the geek in me must watch Ed for Phil Stubbs.

Tom R

Cyburbian
wkrp

Other good episode was when Johnny had to broadcast from the transmitter and he got paranoid that the "phone police" were going to get him but I think the turkey drop was one of the best. I can hear Les talking about how the turkeys seem to turn against him then he broke into the Hindenburg coverage dialogue.

kms

Cyburbian
I liked Les' "helicopter" traffic reports. While beating on his chest with his palms, he reported, "The traffic is light to heavy on all main thorofares."

"Eyewitness Weather" was pretty silly, too.

donk

Cyburbian
Or the WKRP episode when they talk to the expert who thinks that children are aliens. Why, look at how small and immature they are, nothing like adults. Or any episode with Mrs. Carleton's house boy Hirsch. Or when Johnny goes disco and talks about the young girls.

If I had to have a cubicle / open office, I think I'd tape it like Les'. I think it would tell alot about people if they got it.

peter lowitt

The Power of Cable

Its truly surprizing how many folks actually watch local cable tv. And it makes a difference. Once the citizenry saw how boinkers (love those technical terms) one particular city council member was, they chose not to re-elect him. And you can have fun messing with people's minds....Returning form executive session the cable snaps back on and viewers hear the planner saying "I can't believe you were saying that about ....oh, are we on?" And our board/commision members would always say hello to one of their colleagues wives who watched all of the meetings.

pandersen

Cyburbian
"Must See" TV

My current favorite is a series of taped for TV extracts on CBC TV originally produced as a a series of one man (multiple character) theatre plays centering on the trials and tribulations surrounding a Toronto stockbroker who moves out into the sticks to farm like his ancestors.

The avitar I use as my online persona is the main character "Walt Wingfield".

In one play, the stockbroker turned gentleman farmer has to fight a sneaky land developer who wants to build condos right across the road from his hobby farm.

You simply can't beat "Letters From Wingfield Farm" for laugh out loud humor (some of it even planning and development related. Catch 2 episodes of the series on Friday evening on CBC TV at 8:00pm..

Should anyone be interested in audio/video tapes of the plays, they are available through the Stratford Festival. Alternatively, the books are written by Dan Needles.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
tbombadill said:

For example, I would sit comfortably for a half-hour of CSI:Miami, followed by ZHB: Toledo. I'll even pitch the first episode:

Drive-through beer store wants to expand to include a bikini car-wash. Then the viewers call-in-Approved or Denied? It's a money maker.

I see the sponsors lining up already.

Herve Villechaize could be the Zoning Officer (except now, he's saying "The plane is too close to the residential neighborhood, boss!)

Well, that turned into a long rant...
Isn't Herve dead? How about we get Carroll O'Connor to reprise his Archie Bunker role as a zoning officer. "Aw geez, the dingbat wants to put a Starbucks where the donut shop is."

I'm looking forward to the Simpsons and Futurama, Will & Grace, and a low-budget favorite, What's My Line. Ryan Stiles cracks me up.

I can't say that any of the new shows I've heard about sound all that good. Rebel doctors who care more about their patients than corporate profits, fighting the system at a greedy hospital - what an exciting, original concept! I give it two episodes.

Tom R

Cyburbian
tv

Michael Stumpf said:

Isn't Herve dead? How about we get Carroll O'Connor to reprise his Archie Bunker role as a zoning officer. "Aw geez, the dingbat wants to put a Starbucks where the donut shop is."

I'm looking forward to the Simpsons and Futurama, Will & Grace, and a low-budget favorite, What's My Line. Ryan Stiles cracks me up.

I can't say that any of the new shows I've heard about sound all that good. Rebel doctors who care more about their patients than corporate profits, fighting the system at a greedy hospital - what an exciting, original concept! I give it two episodes.
Hate to break it to ya, but Carroll O'Connor's dead too.

Michael Stumpf said:

I also used to love Who's line, until I read that they tape over 4 hours of footage to get 30 minutes. But Wayne Brady is my favorite.

Bucky alum

I've never seen the Sopranos

But I wanted to let you know that the stuff in the show is real. The strip club is really one by the same name on route 46 north of the meadowlands, I've been told. never been to one in Jersey. Not a good investment. Don't like juice bars and don't like seeing no nudeity at all -its worse than a beach). But in last weeks show I was told they were "buying some warehouses on Freilinghuysen Ave from Omni in Newark right near the Port that was going to be worth some money. Well, there is a Freilinghuysen which is accross a highway from the Port of Newark and the Newark int'l airport. There is also a company that we deal with called omni who is based on the same avenue who i do business with on a daily basis. I don't want to watch the show now. Its too real to be fun.