• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Yellow Ribbons

What is your opinion of yellow ribbons?

• Yellow ribbons bring warm fuzzies for families of soldiers

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Yellow ribbons are an empty meaninless gesture, tear em down!

Votes: 10 37.0%
  • Yellow ribbons are in my yard, on my car antennea and pinned to my breast

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • I would tie yellow ribbons but there is an ordinance against it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other, explained below

Votes: 8 29.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jen

Cyburbian
Do you support the idea that plasticized yellow strips tied around trees and poles are really boosting the morale of our troops and families?

Jen - I added "other" to your poll, which is how I voted. I personally am not a fan of the yellow ribbons, but if it makes some people feel good to put them up, and a few people warm and fuzzy to see them, then I can't really espouse tearing them down.
What I really wish is that people would take care of their flags.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I am of the mind that if it makes people feel like they are supporting the troops, that is fine. I am sure that people with family members in the armed forces really enjoy seeing the yellow ribbons and I assume that as troops come back to their hometowns, they really appreciate knowing that people are thinking of them.

Jen

Cyburbian
They drive me batty, all tied differently: up the pole, down the pole, big ribbons, scraggly ribbons, multibowed, single bowed, and I have even seen crime scene tape used!

I am sick of looking at those things! Flags I support, stringy ticky tacky fugly plastic streamers everywhere I don't.

Thanks for adding the other option DT.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I can't say that I like them, and I think that they are really pretty meaningless. It's kind of like a bumper sticker. Nobody changes their mind because of an anti-abortion sticker, or chooses to vote for Dukakis because of one. On the other hand, the ribbons may make people feel more like they are supportive, so why not. I found myself sticking an American flag in the yard on September 11, 2001. It was something I could do.

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
We don't have any up at our house, but I know several family members that do (one ribbon each....not a ton of 'em) for support of my brother in law and my wife's cousin who is heading over next week.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Not my cup of tea, but I'm not offended by them either, unless they are of the over the top or weather worn still up since the last war variety.

H

Cyburbian
Politically I see nothing wrong with them.

As long and they don’t end up being litter in the street afterwards.

PS> I am happy to see that the choices in your poll are not skewed towards your opinion ;)

Jeff

Cyburbian
Seems like a waste of ribbon to me....but if it makes you happy to put it up so be it.

Didn't the yellow ribbon originally signify support, hope and etc. for the hostages in Iran back in the day?

kms

Cyburbian
I voted other. I wouldn't hang the ribbons or wear one. A couple of our neighbors walked around the neighborhood hanging yellow ribbons, and I admit they look nice. I haven't heard any negative comments, and it does convey a sense of community here. Our council, which I mentioned accused the WWII vet here of using gestapo tactics, even left the ribbon hanging alone.

gkmo62u

Cyburbian
No, Tony Orlando and Dawn (there were two "Dawn's" remember?) invented the yellow ribbon. You were to ties it around the oak tree if you still loved me....

Bottom line: my neighbor has a kid in Bagdad, he has a yellow ribbon on his mailbox. That's good enough for me.

prudence

Cyburbian
gkmo62u said:
No, Tony Orlando and Dawn (there were two "Dawn's" remember?) invented the yellow ribbon. You were to ties it around the oak tree if you still loved me....

Bottom line: my neighbor has a kid in Bagdad, he has a yellow ribbon on his mailbox. That's good enough for me.
The fact that "Tie A Yellow Ribbon..." launched the careers of Tony Orlando and Dawn, and secured them a variety show to bother America every week is why the yellow ribbon should be despised, BUT

...I believe that gkmo's bottom line says it all. If you want a ribbon, then have a ribbon. If you don't, then don't.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I guess I feel that the ribbon can be a nice symbolic gesture of support. However, if you have something like a City sign or a tree in a park that is junked up with say 100 ribbons, it kind of looses its meaning.

We had this automobile dealership here in town that wanted to add an American flag to every one of their light poles (about 20 poles), claiming it was a patriotic gesture. Thankfully the commission saw this as a way to draw attention to their dealership and denied the request.

Runner

Cyburbian
I think it's fine. I just have a hard time keeping up with what all the different colors are supposed to mean:
Yellow = Support our troops
Pink = Breast cancer awareness
Etc. Etc. Etc.

Jessie-J

Cyburbian
I get kinda cynical when it comes to the ribbons and the flag thing. It seems like if these people were really patriots, they'd take care of them and make sure they stay nice. Even the bumper stickers on the cars of the American Flag are fading and I don't see that as true patriotism- I see that as a fad that got left behind. I get more impression of support ande dedication when the flag or the yellow ribbon is kept nice, clean and unfrayed.

Runner

Cyburbian
bet on me said:
I get kinda cynical when it comes to the ribbons and the flag thing. It seems like if these people were really patriots, they'd take care of them and make sure they stay nice. Even the bumper stickers on the cars of the American Flag are fading and I don't see that as true patriotism- I see that as a fad that got left behind. I get more impression of support ande dedication when the flag or the yellow ribbon is kept nice, clean and unfrayed.
Hmmm, sure you don't work in the retail industry?

Sounds like a good sales pitch ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.