• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Community development YIMBY Act

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
It seems the YIMBY Act is moving forward in the house. It does not do much but force cities getting CDBG to be transparent about their use of R-1 zoning from what I understand. My initial reaction is that its rather silly considering the places that wield single family like that generally are too well off to even qualify for CDBG. This has gotten little news coverage with the virus and then the primaries going on. Maybe someone here is more familiar with the ins and outs of the proposed legislation than I am.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
TIL: The YIMBY Act requires local governments to identify obstacles to and opportunities for increasing home construction through better zoning, by-right development, and faster permitting. The bill ties this requirement to eligibility for federal Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) funding. Congressman Heck announced the introduction of the YIMBY Act at an advocacy event hosted by Up for Growth Action on September 17th.

I see a lot of problems with this mindset.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
How is this any different from the Analysis of Impediments to Fair Housing and Affirmatively Furthering Fair Housing that both currently exist and that grantees must document and follow?

In my experience, CDBG entitlement communities are in no position to use large lot zoning as a tool for economic segregation/racial discrimination. As Hawkeye66 notes, the places using large lot single family zoning typically are not CDBG entitlements. Wondering why Dr. Carson's HUD hasn't stepped up to point this out already...

fringe

Cyburbian
This idea sounds like feds dumping on locals to find paths to meeting housing needs. You don't need a weather station behind every stump to find out if it is raining. Housing shortages' biggest problem is affordability, both in terms of land and buildings. There should be some way to subsidize, a la section 8, housing and property ownership.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
There should be some way to subsidize, a la section 8, housing and property ownership.
There's the FHA loan program which has been around for decades. I also benefited from a "bond money" program when I bought my first home. (Basically the state sold bond, allocated the money to banks which then issued mortgage loans at lower-than-market-rate interest to first time homebuyers of moderate means.)

There also used to be the mortgage interest deduction which has been wiped out for many as a result of increased standard deductions.