• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

You know you're a geek if....

Tom R

Cyburbian
You know you're a geek if,
You're creating an (Arc) Info table for the first time and
you're excited about it!

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
Tom R said:
You know you're a geek if,
You're creating an (Arc) Info table for the first time and
you're excited about it!
Wait until the excitement turns into cursing, anger, rage, and regular bouts of alcaholic consumption while slumped over the computer screen trying to work with ArcInfo! 8-!

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
...cyburbia is your primary source of news. ;-)

...your girlfriend comes home, finds you on the couch watching the end of the Red Sox game, and says "I'm suprised you weren't on the computer."

boiker

Cyburbian
...if you wife owns a shirt that says "I dig scrawny, pale guys."

...the magazines in your bachealor bathroom include: PC World, Electronic Gamining Monthly, and Y!.

....you run a linux os and use l33+ 5p34k in your online discussions. W00t!!

Last edited:

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
...you're on vacation and you point out possibly non-conforming land uses to your fellow vacationers.

Last edited:

Budgie

Cyburbian
Floridays said:
...or if you wear black dress socks with sandals. :-c
No, this means that your an old pasty american tourist. I laugh my A$$ off when I see an elderly gentleman in bermuda shorts, with dress socks and shoes. Especially if the shoes have tassles.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
If SCA is a lifestyle as opposed to a music form (Ska)

Seabishop

Cyburbian
...when you barely weigh enough to qualify as an adult man.

...when you used to stop by your wife's pre-school classroom, and some of the kids would actually think you were Steve from Blue's Clues.

New indie rock look

H

Cyburbian
mendelman said:
...you're on vacation and you point out possibly non-conforming land uses to your fellow vacationers.
LOL!!! Why cant we (most) planners ever "clock out"?? :-D

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
You have to be the first "kid on the block" with the new gadget for me its Airtunes gotta get myself set up to play the IPodall over the house wireless.

Or when your SO knows the names of your sims families 8-!

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Seabishop said:
...when you used to stop by your wife's pre-school classroom, and some of the kids would actually think you were Steve from Blue's Clues.
You must be their hero. I'm sure they think you are god and know that the show just isn't as good anymore..........kinda like when Mike replaced Joel on MST3K. It was never the same. ;-)

on-topic EDIT: .....if you make value judgements about cast changes on an arcane cult cable TV show that maybe 17 hipsters ever actually watched....or even understood. :-D

Last edited:

jestes

Cyburbian
Guilty as charged...

...when you actually know what this acronym stands for.

...When you tell Planning jokes and you are the only one who gets them.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
mendelman said:
That would just make you a planner, as would having nightmares that involve a planning commission, zoning board of appeals, or city council and baseball bats.

On the other hand...

....If you have a "duck room" and you still drive a rusted out late 80's early 90's Bonniville that has been stolen several times....

When listening to your John Phillips Sousa CD, during the piccilo solo in Stars and Stripes Forever, you find yourself grinning and thinking "Wow - that's good piccilo playing!"

After seeing Harry Potter 3 with your SO, you spend 30 minutes explaining what the movie left out, and wondering how they can pull off making movies of the rest of the series when such crucial infomation went unexplained.

You can still remember the dance routines that you and your siblings created in 1987 to songs from Oklahoma and West Side Story.

Sadly, these are all autobiographical. B-)

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
boiker said:
....you run a linux os and use l33+ 5p34k in your online discussions. W00t!!
... and had distro wars with your friends or others online.

... you know what "distro wars" are.

... you think "Slackware is for pu**ies. I run Gentoo."

... you've ever said that a woman has a great shapefile.

.. you can count to 2055 using your ten fingers.

... you have fun crunching Census data to find obscure facts, like the average commute time of black women aged 25-34; or the median per-capita income of Canadian immigrants of Hispanic decent who live in rural areas, compared to single mothers that pay between $700 and $799 a month in rent, whose primary language at home is Albanian.

... you have an architect's scale, an engineer's scale, and a metric scale.

... you spend more time surfing through match.com than on actual dates.

... you've ever dreamed of using magic missile to take down billboards.

/has four working computers, one of which runs Debian Sid, another that's a vintage NeXTStation Turbo Color.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Downtown said:
When listening to your John Phillips Sousa CD, during the piccilo solo in Stars and Stripes Forever, you find yourself grinning and thinking "Wow - that's good piccilo playing!"
Luckily, you don't "air-piccolo" to that solo, because then you would be terminal, and you would have to be put down. ;-)

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
michaelskis said:
That would just make you a planner, as would having nightmares that involve a planning commission, zoning board of appeals, or city council and baseball bats.

On the other hand...

....If you have a "duck room" and you still drive a rusted out late 80's early 90's Bonniville that has been stolen several times....
Of course you know this means WAR!!!!

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Maister said:
Of course you know this means WAR!!!!
Did I mention he calls it the "low rider" (because the drivers seat is broken and falling back and to the right)

mendelman said:
Luckily, you don't "air-piccolo" to that solo, because then you would be terminal, and you would have to be put down. ;-)
Oh my god - just choked on a mouth full of carrots!
Dan said:
... you have fun crunching Census data to find obscure facts, like the average commute time of black women aged 25-34; or the median per-capita income of Canadian immigrants of Hispanic decent who live in rural areas, compared to single mothers that pay between $700 and $799 a month in rent, whose primary language at home is Albanian.
The GIS Census Data is my own personal Penske file.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
michaelskis said:
Did I mention he calls it the "low rider" (because the drivers seat is broken and falling back and to the right)

Image from a Manitoba auto dealer. Is that it?

Hooptie hooptie hooptie!

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
michaelskis said:
Close... but an off white with rust holes large enough to lose body parts.
It's NOT off-white. I just haven't gotten around to washing it this millenium

Dan said:
.. you can count to 2055 using your ten fingers.
Guilty as charged.

AND .... I taught it as a class to keep brainiac kiddos entertained at the Hollingworth Gifted Child Conference in 2000 so their parents could drop them off somewhere and go attend conference stuff sans kiddos. :-\ :-} :-D

Seabishop

Cyburbian
mendelman said:
You must be their hero. I'm sure they think you are god and know that the show just isn't as good anymore..........kinda like when Mike replaced Joel on MST3K. It was never the same. ;-)
This was years ago before the beginning of the "Joe" era. I like the show better now because I don't have to be self-concious about any resemblance and I can finally dance around in green striped shirts again.

Nothing is more geeky than telling your wife/girlfriend the funny thing that "PlannerBoy6000" said on Cyburbia today.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Seabishop said:
Nothing is more geeky than telling your wife/girlfriend the funny thing that "PlannerBoy6000" said on Cyburbia today.
Sure there is.....having said wife/girlfriend as a member of Cyburbia! ;-)

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
mendelman said:

LMAO :-} good

Seabishop said:
How about:
Making your husband log on to "your" message boards to tell your internet friends that you had your baby today and all the baby's stats, while you're still in the hospital.

mendelman said:
It's still lost on me, and we will leave it at that. :)
well, it's okay. I can't really count to 2055 anyway. I only have 10 fingers. Dan might have 11 fingers or he knows some trick I don't know. I can only count to 1023. :-D And I will kindly spare you the explanation. I usually don't count past 31 anyway because it causes cramps in the left hand if I start on the larger numbers. But it is a handy skill to have at times. :)

EDIT: Now that I feel silly, how does one make a blushing emoticon???

Last edited:

H

Cyburbian
Seabishop said:
Funny, that is exactly what my wife tells me. :)

Repo Man

Cyburbian
More geek signs -

1. After you check Cyburbia, you head right over to Wired.com for tech news.

2. You have a tv set up so you can watch it from your computer chair. (My girlfriend thought I was the only one who did this until some of her friends told her that their geek boyfriends did the same thing.)

3. You never buy complete new computers, just contunue to exchange and upgrade parts.

4. You shop goodwill and other thrift stores for old electronic and computer equipment for nostalga's sake.

Repo Man said:
2. You have a tv set up so you can watch it from your computer chair. (My girlfriend thought I was the only one who did this until some of her friends told her that their geek boyfriends did the same thing.)
The hardware to allow your computer to get TV on it isn't that expensive and it causes less neck strain. Unfortunately, the one I have isn't compatible with my laptop's videocard (or some such) so I had to give it to my son when I moved to a laptop. ;-)

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Repo Man said:
More geek signs -

1. After you check Cyburbia, you head right over to __________

2. You have a tv set up so you can watch it from your computer chair..

1. Newslink.org
2. Guilty

H

Cyburbian
Repo Man said:
More geek signs -
You mean there are people out there who dont do this???? 8-!

nerudite

Cyburbian
jestes said:
Guilty as charged...

MST3K...when you actually know what this acronym stands for.
LOL... that's probably one of my top 10 favourite shows ever. I guess I'm a geek then! 8-!

boiker

Cyburbian
nerudite said:
LOL... that's probably one of my top 10 favourite shows ever. I guess I'm a geek then! 8-!
mine too! I love the one where they watched some weird russian fairytale type movie.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
1. After you check Cyburbia, you head right over to Wired.com for tech news.
slashdot.org for me.

You have a tv set up so you can watch it from your computer chair.
Check.

/waiting for a Cyburbian to say "I don't watch television." :D

You never buy complete new computers, just contunue to exchange and upgrade parts.
Uh huh. Newegg rocks!

You shop goodwill and other thrift stores for old electronic and computer equipment for nostalga's sake.
Better stuff on eBay, like old Sparcstations and Silocon Graphics workstations. Seems like thrift stores overprice their electronics, the elderly staff thinking that a computer is worth only a little bit less than it was when it was first purchased. A 486/36 with a 500 megabyte hard drive for $500? Not.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Dan said:
> You never buy complete new computers, just contunue to exchange and upgrade parts.
Oh gawd I an SOOO guilty of this. We have one assembled computer in the den and two open tower cases sitting on the dining room table being scavenged. My employer is a major engineering firm and stays pretty high on the technology curve and is constantly giving away "old" equipment, most of which is better just one step off of the bleeding edge of technology.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Chet said:
We have one assembled computer in the den and two open tower cases sitting on the dining room table being scavenged.
What about silencing computers? I put some bucks into [tt]schadenfreude[/tt] (AMD 2400XP, runs Windows XP) and [tt]zeitgeist[/tt] (Intel 1.7 GHz P4, dual boot Windows XP/Debian Linux sid-unstable) recently to cut down system noise. We're talking about silent power supplies, silent fans that are also undervolted, and even quiet hard drives; I pulled a 60 GB Maxtor out of [tt]schadenfreude[/tt] because it whines. [tt]schadenfreude[/tt] is now a lot quieter, but stull a few db louder than I'd like. [tt]zeitgeist[/tt] is almost completely silent from the front.

Yet another computer, the elderly [tt]gesellschaft[/tt] (a 133 MHz Intel PC) is torn apart. I've done some updating so it'll become a silent guest PC. I'm waiting on a 200 MHz Pentium MMX processor from eBay - paid $4.99 for it, inclduing shipping.

I have a huge box filled with spare parts; old network, sound and video cards; cables; power supplies; fans, and other goodies. I think my next project will be a "loud and proud" PC, something that is anti-silent, using as many of the spare fans as possible.

Bling bling! It'll be the shiznit, yo!

mgk920

Cyburbian
Repo Man said:
More geek signs -

1. After you check Cyburbia, you head right over to___________.

2. You have a tv set up so you can watch it from your computer chair.

3. You never buy complete new computers, just contunue to exchange and upgrade parts.

4. You shop goodwill and other thrift stores for old electronic and computer equipment for nostalga's sake.
1) Skyscrapers.com
2) ;-)
3) Guilty as charged here, too. I just keep on buying upgrades for my 6YO 266 MHz Macintosh PowerPC G3 (last of the 'beige boxes').
4) I still use a pre-breakup AT&T Western Electric 'Touch Tone' desk phone at home. Nothing built since sounds as good nor is anywhere near as rugged.

5) you regularly download official reports of your hometown's City Plan Commission to keep yourself up to date with things that are going on back there. :-0

Mike

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
mgk920 said:
5) you regularly download official reports of your hometown's City Plan Commission to keep yourself up to date with things that are going on back there.
Just as bad but close; I read weekly hometown paper on line. B-)

Tom R

Cyburbian
geekdom

EDIT: Now that I feel silly, how does one make a blushing emoticon???[/QUOTE]

You KNOW you're a geek when you run out of available emoticons.

JNA said:
Just as bad but close; I read weekly hometown paper on line. B-)
Me too, only to see who has "stopped smoking."

Last edited by a moderator: