• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

You know you're a planner when...

Veloise

Cyburbian
...you travel to Hawai'i, do the Diamond Head climb...

and take a photo of a silt barrier to share with your friends!

IMG_3811.JPG

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
you refer to a driveway as a point of ingress

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Your spouse gets angry at you for slowing down at construction sites to confirm that the permits are properly displayed or pointing out sign code violations.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
You take pictures of greenways & unique urban trail signs.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
You take pictures of greenways & unique urban trail signs.
I'm no planner, but I have taken pictures of transportation infrastructure while on trips. So I guess I have some natural tendencies.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
I have googled news searched - urban planner, city planner, county planner, planning director

terraplnr

Cyburbian
You give a 10 minute local civics lesson to a person who grew up here and went to local schools but has no idea about the governmental structure or politics.

And you enjoy it.

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
...in discussions with family regarding your once robust Rust Belt town and its entrenched economic and social decline, that when you share interesting historical context and other pertinent details such as race riots and corporate malfeasance, the collective riposte in the room is, "That's nice. So, did anyone hear last night what Rachel said about Paul?"

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
You find yourself the lone voice against some impractical fantasy project that has long been the darling of the armchair planner community. (cough Buffalo Belt Line cough cough there's few residents in the catchment area of any stations and service would just be redundant with the Main Street Metro Rail line cough cough)

You also find yourself being the annoying "actually ..." guy, when people around you perpetuate tired urban legends about your city's neighborhoods, development history, or built environment, (cough cough idiots who believe GM shut down Buffalo's streetcar system, even though National City lines never owned the IRC streetcar system, and the IRC replaced streetcars with Mack buses from Ford cough cough)

terraplnr

Cyburbian
You understand what all of these terms mean, regardless of what they sound like they mean:

- current planning (huh?)
- home occupation (control and possession of hostile homes?)
- carbon farming (growing more carbon?)

And forgetting the "i" in ordinance leads to a completely different subject.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
The first thing you ask affordable housing subsidy applicants what's the current zoning of the site and do you have planning & zoning approvals?

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
When family members casually chat with friends and ANY topic concerning local government or community comes up, they call you to ask your advice on the subject.

Veloise

Cyburbian
Reading an article about your fair state's graft and corruption aka the lame duck session ... your first thought is, "why exactly does this little undeveloped township "need" utility grants to "help bring jobs and tax revenues to the community" for "this kind of infrastructure and economic development project that can help strengthen the community and support families and schools” so you immediately look up the census data.

And then post a comment using the phrase "the subject jurisdiction"

Reactions: Dan

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
When well intentioned friends and relatives come to you with their concerns about: disputing property tax assessments, fire and police response times, dates that parks programs are taking place, potholes......

Veloise

Cyburbian
someone on the successful citizen-led gerrymandering petition drive FB page posts:

Does anyone know of a tool that would allow me to draw shapes on a Michigan map and show me the population inside that shape? Registered voters would be even better, but I'll take what I can get. Or maybe someone out there knows someone with the skills to create something like this? Thanks!

and you respond with a couple of links to user-friendly Census-based applets that will accomplish exactly the desired task, and respondents come back with

Geographic Information Systems is what you need for this. There may be a tool online but I'm not sure where.
Most counties have GIS online. I think there is a state level version but you may need to check with a librarian to find it. There should be a population layer based on the census or census updates that are done based on statistics.

and you provide a link to a state-level E-Z mapping site with an explanation of why this would be preferred to signing up to learn ARCView

and someone else helpfully adds
MSU GIS grad son says ArcGIS online is the tool you need. ... Also cost — to do this kind of analysis would require buying the software and then knowing how to use it. But that’s the quickest way to get the results wanted.

and that's when you hit the button for turn off notifications for post

HomerJ

Cyburbian
When you find yourself shaking your head and muttering under your breath "this town...this. town."

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Make it stop! Make it stop! (Non spectant a deformitate)

... when you're on a vacation to some exotic destination known for its natural beauty, and the voice of your inner Kunstler won't shut the hell up from the sight of every metal building, ugly sign, unlandscaped gravel parking lot with a long continuous curb cut, exposed dumpster, unscreened RTU, light with no cutoff fixture, freestanding chain business with out-of-place trade dress architecture, front yard parking lots in a downtown/CBD, house with cars littering the front yard, snout house subdivision ...

Why can't we have nice things? (Invidia autem Denverius)

... when you're driving through another city or town, and the voice of your inner American Planning Association Planners Advisory Service won't shut the hell up from the sight of every great planning practice -- things that are the norm there, but the exception in the community where you work, no matter how hard you might try to change the status quo.

Veloise

Cyburbian
Make it stop! Make it stop! (Non spectant a deformitate)

... when you're on a vacation to some exotic destination known for its natural beauty, and the voice of your inner Kunstler won't shut the hell up from the sight of every metal building, ugly sign, unlandscaped gravel parking lot with a long continuous curb cut, exposed dumpster, unscreened RTU, light with no cutoff fixture, freestanding chain business with out-of-place trade dress architecture, front yard parking lots in a downtown/CBD, house with cars littering the front yard, snout house subdivision ...
A relative worked in advertising for a company that made industrial-strength meters (the kind you see in the service alley behind a large commercial building). He came back from a scenic skiing vacation with many photos of the product in situ.

Reactions: Dan

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
…When it is noted that one writes using the passive voice as a matter of habit.
After writing a plain English FBC that's almost entirely in active voice (!), I've become acutely aware of when I'm writing in the passive voice. I feel like coding for active voice rewired my brain a bit. I also cringe a bit when I look at the plain English UDC I wrote during my short exile in Texas, because some provisions are in passive voice.

Veloise

Cyburbian
Big Owl:

In the dress code, hats are not a permitted by right; so you pay a dollar to get a variance/exception to the dress code. It's a fund raiser for some project. It's a easy way to raise a couple hundred dollars.

Veloise

Cyburbian
Our Old House on FB shows up a pic with a sideyard setback issue. (Chiropractic visitors are driving over the residential lawn, OP seeks relief and suggestions.)
Within minutes you've stalked up the subject property, pulled a Streetview, accessed the county land records with theoretical lot lines, and provided guidance to the OP (who might not be the property owner). Oh, and explained the different meanings of "right of way" to fellow old housers.

fostoria parking issue 2.png

fostoria GIS.png

I guess I'm slipping, haven't looked up the ordinance and interpreted it for her.

Last edited:

Veloise

Cyburbian
...you will not do an event without a permit

View attachment 24211
You see a horror story for a similar event that failed to obtain a permit and ROFL

"... the city has refused to permit the spot within a 5 mile radius of the downtown convention center..."

Last edited:

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Mother-in-law: "Why is housing so expensive here?

Me: monologues for 20 minutes about large lot zoning, lack of production and speculative homebuilders, NIMBYs, preferences for "rustic" housing among local residents, wealthy college students, and a dozen other factors that make a "convergence of suck".

Veloise

Cyburbian
Local business owner is sooo sad over deaths of LEO and local soldiers that he decided to "honor" them with a marquee banner, flags flags flags. No permits pulled.
News article

This is discussed in a local forum with some playing the 'Merica! card.

Former BZA member provides facts.

Veloise

Cyburbian
You share a wacky news article on FB ...

Farm sued by township, neighbor who claim it is a ‘public nuisance’

... and a friend chimes in with "busybodies... stirring up crap that's none of their business ...
okay so obviously there was a breakdown in communication or rezoning issues or both ..."

and you reply "you know I have FB friends who are professional planners, right?"

"pro planners? in what regard ..?"

and in jumps a fellow Cybubs/FB friend to help school him

(he's a professional musician, not a planner)

Veloise

Cyburbian
You share a wacky news article on FB ...

Farm sued by township, neighbor who claim it is a ‘public nuisance’

... and a friend chimes in with "busybodies... stirring up crap that's none of their business ...
okay so obviously there was a breakdown in communication or rezoning issues or both ..."

and you reply "you know I have FB friends who are professional planners, right?"

"pro planners? in what regard ..?"

and in jumps a fellow Cybubs/FB friend to help school him

(he's a professional musician, not a planner)
Another Cyburbian chimed in. ROFL.

Musician friend: crickets

Reactions: JNA

DVD

Cyburbian
You stop at the local store and talk to the guy about parking requirements for the new business he wants to set up.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
When your spouse and kids get angry because when you are on vacation you think that 10 blocks is walkable, you stay in a neighboring community near the commuter rail, you keep stopping to take photos of good infrastructure, you have already memorized where the local restaurants in relation to particular attractions, and finally, when you have an alley on your 'must see' list because it is the oldest continuously inhabited residential street in America.

*All happened with last summer's vacation

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
When people want to talk about affordable housing and energy efficient housing but can't get over it also HAVING to be large-lot single-family and you just laugh and laugh....

Also when you are no longer capable of having a polite conversation with the tiny house enthusiast crowd.

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
Mother-in-law: "Why is housing so expensive here?

Me: monologues for 20 minutes about large lot zoning, lack of production and speculative homebuilders, NIMBYs, preferences for "rustic" housing among local residents, wealthy college students, and a dozen other factors that make a "convergence of suck".
Convergence of suck -- I'm going to have to add this to my often used phrases.
When your spouse and kids get angry because when you are on vacation you think that 10 blocks is walkable, you stay in a neighboring community near the commuter rail, you keep stopping to take photos of good infrastructure, you have already memorized where the local restaurants in relation to particular attractions, and finally, when you have an alley on your 'must see' list because it is the oldest continuously inhabited residential street in America.

*All happened with last summer's vacation
when you google that location and add it to your Notes app under "To Do in PA" for the next time you're in that region. :hug:

Planit

Cyburbian
We were in Asheville yesterday and as we were walking between Asheville Brewing & Burial Brewery we encountered a Tactical Urbanism volunteer project. So of course I had to take pictures and talk with the coordinator about the project. Mrs. P stood in the shade while this occurred. It not her first time...

Top Bottom