You know you're a planner when...

kjel

Super Moderator
The first thing you ask affordable housing subsidy applicants what's the current zoning of the site and do you have planning & zoning approvals?

When family members casually chat with friends and ANY topic concerning local government or community comes up, they call you to ask your advice on the subject.

Veloise

Cyburbian
Reading an article about your fair state's graft and corruption aka the lame duck session ... your first thought is, "why exactly does this little undeveloped township "need" utility grants to "help bring jobs and tax revenues to the community" for "this kind of infrastructure and economic development project that can help strengthen the community and support families and schools” so you immediately look up the census data.

And then post a comment using the phrase "the subject jurisdiction"

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
When well intentioned friends and relatives come to you with their concerns about: disputing property tax assessments, fire and police response times, dates that parks programs are taking place, potholes......

Veloise

Cyburbian
someone on the successful citizen-led gerrymandering petition drive FB page posts:

Does anyone know of a tool that would allow me to draw shapes on a Michigan map and show me the population inside that shape? Registered voters would be even better, but I'll take what I can get. Or maybe someone out there knows someone with the skills to create something like this? Thanks!

and you respond with a couple of links to user-friendly Census-based applets that will accomplish exactly the desired task, and respondents come back with

Geographic Information Systems is what you need for this. There may be a tool online but I'm not sure where.
Most counties have GIS online. I think there is a state level version but you may need to check with a librarian to find it. There should be a population layer based on the census or census updates that are done based on statistics.

and you provide a link to a state-level E-Z mapping site with an explanation of why this would be preferred to signing up to learn ARCView

and someone else helpfully adds
MSU GIS grad son says ArcGIS online is the tool you need. ... Also cost — to do this kind of analysis would require buying the software and then knowing how to use it. But that’s the quickest way to get the results wanted.

and that's when you hit the button for turn off notifications for post

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Make it stop! Make it stop! (Non spectant a deformitate)

... when you're on a vacation to some exotic destination known for its natural beauty, and the voice of your inner Kunstler won't shut the hell up from the sight of every metal building, ugly sign, unlandscaped gravel parking lot with a long continuous curb cut, exposed dumpster, unscreened RTU, light with no cutoff fixture, freestanding chain business with out-of-place trade dress architecture, front yard parking lots in a downtown/CBD, house with cars littering the front yard, snout house subdivision ...

Why can't we have nice things? (Invidia autem Denverius)

... when you're driving through another city or town, and the voice of your inner American Planning Association Planners Advisory Service won't shut the hell up from the sight of every great planning practice -- things that are the norm there, but the exception in the community where you work, no matter how hard you might try to change the status quo.