• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

You may be a planning geek if ...

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
1) You've forgotten how many APA/CIP/RTPI conferences you've been to.

2) You collect APA chapter pins.

3) ... and have completed a full map of the United States with them.

4) ... which you wear to every planning conference you attend.

5) You've spent more time in a ten year old former police car than your own vehicle.

6) You read zoning regulations for fun.

7) You function in nonstop "built environment critic" mode as you drive along the road.

8) You know all the zoning regulations that apply to your hosue, even though it's in a different municipality from where you work.

9) You don't notice attractive members of the appropriate sex when you're driving down the street, but your eyes instinctively bend towards every cell tower, billboard and pre-engineered building.

10) You've looked at houses for sale in Portland, Oregon on a Web real estate site, "just to see, that's all."

11) You face Portland whenever you pray.

12) You drew maps of imaginary cities when you were a kid -- and the street patterns looked like the real thing, including downtown grids, City Beautiful-era meandering parkways, modern loop n' lollypop subdivisions and rail transit.

13) You drive an hour out of the way to shop at "the nice Target, with the articulated walls and generous transparency and commuity-sensitive design and ..."

Feel free to add on ...

Habanero

Cyburbian
Add on

You know you're a planning geek if your Mom told you the land use maps you colored when you were little were "coloring books". (Thanks Mom)

You tap the the window of the car to point out something of interest while your significant other drives.

You can drive down any given road in the US and comment "they would never get away with that in [name of City]".

You get excited when you see a McDonald's without the big golden arches or a Whataburger that isn't in an A-frame building.

You can spell and pronounce Xeriscape.

You check this site more that your own email account. (I'm so guilty)

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
Add on...

...you stop surfing channels on the local government public access station to watch Council meetings, Planning Board Meetings....

el Guapo

Capitalist
You own the entire set of...

...Frederick Law Olmsted - PlannerMan Action Figures - Including the rare 1953 Embarcadero Evil Developer/Consultant with Kung Fu Grip.

You have your rare April 1973 issue of Planning in a hermetically sealed bag in your safety deposit box.

You have ever said - in your best Simpsons Comic Book Man Voice - "Worst Built Environment EVER"

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Re: You own the entire set of...

El Guapo wrote:
Including the rare 1953 Embarcadero Evil Developer/Consultant
... and if you get that, you definitely are a planning geek. However, not as much as the guy with the complete CIP provincial chapter pin collection, and the signed, autographed picture of Jane Jacobs.

134) If you brag about being one degree away from Kevin Bacon, because you met Edmund Bacon once.

172) You have a framed version of the Urban Planning stamp first day envelope on your office wall.

You have your rare April 1973 issue of Planning in a hermetically sealed bag in your safety deposit box.
Naaaah. The April 1973 Planning was one of the greats! It was meant to be read and shared, just like a good Richie Rich or Spiderman of its day, not sealed up for all eternity. My copy, found in a flea market outside of Albuquerque, is a bit worse for the wear ... as it should be.

Irish Planners Among Us - Are Cities Doomed? Women Planners - Here to Stay?
Tremendous.

#188 - You've had to 12 step off Sim City
#189 - Your mother really can't explain what you do to other people so just settles for - She's like a town engineer.
#190 - You email the links to Planetzen articles to friends that live in the city the article pertains to, even if they aren't planners.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Your Photoshop Skills

You have snactched the coin from my hand Grasshopper - You are now the master.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Three degrees!

Dan Tasman wrote:

134) If you brag about being one degree away from Kevin Bacon, because you met Edmund Bacon once.
We could start a whole new thread on Kevin Bacon. I am three degrees away and damn proud of it!

see, now Chet, you have to tell us what those three degrees are.

when I was in the 7th grade, I had posters of Kevin Bacon ALL over my room. I thought we were destined to be together because we have the same birthday. hee.

Last edited by a moderator:

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Downtown wrote:
I thought we were destined to be together because we have the same birthday. hee.

Here is my same birthday soul mate...pant pant...uh oh sorry kitty.

boiker

Cyburbian
more more

912. After completing a zoning sweep, you annoyingly remind your significant other, "see how nice everything looks now" The usual response, " I never really noticed it looked bad before."

913b^2. Even after your 12 step off sim city, you sneak a couple minutes in here and there to 'get your fix.'

tk421. You get pissed off at SimCity because everytime you try to properly design a 'real-life' city it NEVER works.

1023. In addition to drawing cities when you were little, you'd draw a perspective view of your city.

el Guapo

Capitalist
I got screwed with my birthday.

I can't kill a kitty thinking of America and Austraila's National Sweetheart. That would be wrong - just wrong.

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
Photoshop skills...

Magazine name modified to prevent me from getting sued....

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Re: I got screwed with my birthday.

El Guapo wrote:
I can't kill a kitty thinking of America and Austraila's National Sweetheart. That would be wrong - just wrong.
Sorry El Guapo here is another of my birthday mates....to bad her husband is too.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
I felt bad for El Guapo

Here Guapmeister, I felt sorry for you: She is hotter than ONJ

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
My three degrees of Kevin Bacon

Downtown wrote:
see, now CHET, you have to tell us what those three degrees are.
I was in my high school musical, "Carousel" with David Koepp, who went on to co-write and direct the 1996 movie "Trigger Effect". That movie starred Elizabeth Shue, whom also appeared in the 2000 movie "Fleshing Out The Hollow Man" with Kevin Bacon. TA DA !

( I think this is actually 2 degrees, since KB is the third....)

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
This should have been part of my "Rules of planning, as applied to you" thread, but since that thread was stillborn, I mercifully blasted it into the ether of cyberspace.

(Just a note for DOWNTOWN ... look at all those blue shirts)

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Re: Your Photoshop Skills

El Guapo wrote:
(Re: Photoshop) You have snactched the coin from my hand Grasshopper - You are now the master.
Photoshop? That is the April 1973 Planning.

:blah

Those really cannot be the neighboring town's planning staff! it looks like a picture from my sorority formal!

el Guapo

Capitalist
Humm...

...I think what Dan is saying is that he sometimes feels isolated by his current position and in moments of boredom imagines what it would be like if he was not forever denied access to a Moslem-like version of Planner Heaven - where 40 Virginal Planners await him as his reward for living the life of a pure and holy planner. These select tart goddesses of land use control await his arrival by modeling new and exciting lingerie and drafting model subdivision regulations among other hobbies. They prance about the office squealing with delight whenever Dan says anything. Then after work they have a game or two of Volleyball – Shirts v. Skins – of course. Then it is off to the showers.

Die Kitty Die!

gkmo62u

Cyburbian
I didn't notice the color of the shirts, just that they were short sleeve. Do people really wear short sleeve button downs?

No offense, well, some.

Did I see a pocket protector.

I have known more badly dressed planners (usually men) than well dressed. Quite a phenomena

el Guapo

Capitalist
Every time, without exception,...

..I wear my short sleeve wrinkle-free blue oxford ($15.95 at Wally World) my boss (an older lady) says "I just love that shirt on you El Guapo. " True.

Ah, sarcasm by way of photoshop. apologies for obtusity (is that a word?)

I noticed that in Dan's Planner Heaven, there were 40 planner virgins. Isn't it supposed to be 72? or are there just not 72 planner virgins in existence (probably ties into the whole planners/alocoholism thing)?

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
With Dan's luck it would likely not be 72 virgins, but instead be one 72 year-old virgin...

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Your STILL addicted to Sim city and Civ 2

you plan your trips around planning ideas *hey lets go to chicago where the first elevator was used* or to visit Nolan or Dolan *hey might be useful right?*

you buy more maps than backpackers

you find mistakes in said maps

your family forbids you to talk about planning at the dinner table *try being the only planner in a family of engineers*

Danielle

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
PlannerGirl wrote:
Your STILL addicted to Sim city and Civ 2
*gasp* I LOVE Civ2!!! It rained here yesterday and I played all afternoon! My friends won't play multi-player with me anymore because I kick their butts!

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
what is civ 2?

omg!

its a build and conqure game, make your cities then destroy your fellow man

for when i have serious PMS i give myself nukes :)

D

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Civ 2

DOWNTOWN wrote:
Sorry to be such a loser. what is civ 2?
It's a computer game, orginally released by Sid Meier, called "Civilization 2" There are numerous different versions on the market now - once you're hooked you buy them all!

Mary

Civ 2 .... The best game ever since Civ ... Civ is the abreviation of Civilization. You control not only a city but a world great fun for the power mad planner. Also one of the most adictive games I've ever seen. I introduced a rather compulsive friend to it one afternoon at 3pm and he got off the game at 5pm.... The next day.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Isn't Civ III out now?

I haven't played Civ II since I got rid of the Mac. I switched to Alpha Centauri (also by Sid Meier), but have had to reduce my playing time due to the onset of chronic wrist problems...

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Yes III is out but its not the same, i like II MUCH better

anyone addicted to the SIMS yet?

D

el Guapo

Capitalist
My son loaned me his...

...copy of Age of Empires, which I gather is a Civ rip-off. I like burning nearby villages. I brings out the inner cave dweller in me.

But alas, My favorites will always be the first person shooters like the Quake series.

boiker

Cyburbian
PlannerGirl wrote:

anyone addicted to the SIMS yet?

D
Sims is one of those games that you play like a herion addict for 3 weeks, then your sick of it for 4 weeks, then your back on.

You have to stop playing sims (or quake) when thats what the majority of your dreams consist of.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
PlannerGirl wrote:
That sucks - I was hoping that Civ III would improve on Civ II...

Must...resist...urge...to...start...playing...again...

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Civ 2 vs. Civ 3

A friend bought Civ 3 and said its user interface is worse, but A.I. is better, than Civ 2. Haven't independently confirmed...

Journeymouse

Cyburbian
Re: Civ 2 vs. Civ 3

CHET wrote:
A friend bought Civ 3 and said its user interface is worse, but A.I. is better, than Civ 2.
Sorry to bring this up again so late, but I thought I'd share my experience:

Civ 3 has a much better a.i. but a completely different interface, which has lead to the more extreme purists of my aquaintence having screaming fits at their pcs/the cd box/an imaginary sid meier. Although any one of those could also have been caused by drugs/lack of sleep/drink/general insanity...they are students after all. I found Civ 3 more complex and harder to get into at first because of the difference from Civ 2. But the addiction got me in the end.

Bullwinkle

Cyburbian
you may be a planning geek if ...

On vacation, you take pictures of streetscapes, good & bad franchise designs, public restroom buildings in parks (Yes, I've actually done that), and skateboard parks.

Having just returned from vacation to one of the capitals of artificial reality - Disneyland - I can't wait to develop my photos. I even have some with the kids and Mickey. I was really hoping to see Jessica Rabbit, but no such luck.

Time to resurrect an old thread.............

Your bookshelves at home are categorized by planning topics - Zoning, Land Use, Community Development, etc.

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
...you purposely drive by projects that you've worked on and point them out to friends everytime they ride with you. 8-!

OR

...you proudly wear an APA polo shirt anywhere. 8-! :-D

boiker

Cyburbian
Big Easy King said:
...you purposely drive by projects that you've worked on and point them out to friends everytime they ride with you. 8-!
When the project is good, you take ownership of it. My downtown, my Target, my Walgreens... etc...

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
boiker said:
When the project is good, you take ownership of it. My downtown, my Target, my Walgreens... etc...
But when it's bad, it's the Planning Commissions fault, and you had not control over it!

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
This thread contains some of the most laugh-out-loud funny posts I've read in months. You guys are killing me.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Apparently I am not up to such high level of planner geekdom because
I still don't understand what y'all are talking about Civ II or Sims.

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
You know the geekdom is contagious if....

-your significant other now knows almost as much about planning as the average board member, and points out billboards, lack of sidewalks, etc
-plays your version of SimCity 4 Extra--and won't share, but consults heavily on the type of mass transit he should install
-gets all happy at new design-y stuff at Target (my Target!!) and swipes the latest copy of Dwell before I can get to it.
-initiates conversations about planning issues
-points out pedestrians--"Hey! Look, they're walking! They're using the sidewalk! It does work!!"
-apologizes for the 3/4-ton-plus commercial vehicle parked in front of the building line of the house--without prompting, and knows what the building line is.
-begins to wear khakis on a regular basis..... B-)

BKM

Cyburbian
Dan said:
7) You function in nonstop "built environment critic" mode as you drive along the road.

12) You drew maps of imaginary cities when you were a kid -- and the street patterns looked like the real thing, including downtown grids, City Beautiful-era meandering parkways, modern loop n' lollypop subdivisions and rail transit.
Yep. My family had a newspaper route when I was a kid, which meant big sheets of blank newsprint-which were quickly covered with giant pre-digital starr d'arcy city maps. I used to draw in every little suburban house-and the abandoned slums and boarded up houses were indicated by wiggly little boxes.

Doesn't everyone involved in the built environment do no 7? :) It is especially bad because I do architectural photography as a hobby, too.

Last edited:

nerudite

Cyburbian
boiker said:
Poor Elmo got that when we went down to Cali. Any town I had planned in he got the tour of. I designed that park! Check it out, that's my Walmart that doesn't look like crap... I got sued over it though!... and the list goes on...

Hopefully in a few years I'll be able to look back and see some of the stuff I made developers do here. I'm starting to be known as the natural area nazi.