• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

You may be a planning geek if ...

donk

Cyburbian
Plannerbabs said:
-begins to wear khakis on a regular basis..... B-)

It is not the khakis, it is the blue shirts that you have to be worried about.

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
Bullwinkle said:
On vacation, you take pictures of streetscapes, good & bad franchise designs, public restroom buildings in parks (Yes, I've actually done that), and skateboard parks.

Along the same vain, you first arrive on a beautiful Caribbean island and you say "This place really needs a planner." And then continue to say how the place can be improved.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Your wife shoots down your idea of naming the baby "Duany"

You demand to be buried in that little cemetery in the mixed-use, pedestrian oriented part of town even though your family is buried elsewhere

You secretly smile to yourself whenever gas prices go up

You broke up with a promising girlfriend because she shopped at Walmart once too often

You blast your "planning rock" mix tape in your Prius every morning featuring the old standby's (Subdivisions, Big Yellow Taxi, My City Was Gone, etc.)

Dragon

Cyburbian
You make someone else drive through a major city so that you can inspect the urban landscape.

You strain your neck examining said landscape.

Your friends take you places because you instinctively remember the names of streets and where they connect.

As a kid, you loved being handed a map and told to navigate.

You play Civ (any version, I play the Call to Power version) and explain the policy of nuclear deterrence to your roommate who is watching TV.

While playing Sim City 4, you refuse to zone for industrial because of the pollution effect, although you desperately need the income.

Cirrus

Cyburbian
... You can identify any city in America based on a single skyline picture.

... You buy and scan postcards showing aerial views of cities because helicopter rental is too expensive for you to get that angle on your own.

... You are responsible for 90% of the contact your friends & family have with public transportation.

... You look at so-called great architecture and think “but it doesn’t greet the street”.

… In fact, you think just about all architects these days are artist-wannabe hacks who couldn’t design an attractive building if their lives depended on it - especially the famous ones.

… You make a point to refer to places in your city by their neighborhood name rather than their street intersection.

… You don’t consider using the cheat codes in SimCity actually “cheating”, per say, since you’re using them to make your city more realistic.

… You have used the SimCity building architect tool to replace all those grass lawns with houses so your suburbs look denser (and you’re sure to zone little TODs around every train station).

… People are always asking you for directions even when you’re not in your home town. Somehow, they just know.

… You refer to The Death and Life of Great American Cities as “the Bible”, and consider Jane Jacobs some sort of prophet.

… “East Coast vs West Coast” doesn’t refer to rap, it refers to DPZ vs Calthorpe.

… The Truman Show is one of your favorite movies, but it has nothing to do with Jim Carrey or the storyline.

… You hate traffic engineers with a passion and wonder if the fire truck really needs to be able to get to every house.

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
Cirrus said:
... You can identify any city in America based on a single skyline picture.

As a frequent poster and player of Cyburbia's fun and feckless "Guess the City" contests, I must respectfully dispute this assertion.

I'm gonna post another one now. Betchoo can't guess it. :-D

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Cirrus said:
... You are responsible for 90% of the contact your friends & family have with public transportation.

This one is good!!! :) That is exactly my experience. When my parents visit us, I always say "let's take the EL", and they say "Is it a long walk?", to which I reply "Nah, it's only about 8 blocks."

I don't understand the auto-oriented mentality anymore.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Your friends call you for directions rather than trust the onboard GPS their over priced car came with.

jestes

Cyburbian
No one other than other Planning geeks really have a clue about what you do.

You collect pictures of poor planning examples just for laughs.

You office has more pictures of streetscapes and other urban images than it does of your kids, significant other or other family members.

You honestly believe that the world would be a better place if you were actually allowed to make the decisions but refuse to stoop to the level of becoming a politician.

You actually prefer any of the following to eating or sex:
  • Playing Civ
  • Creating maps
  • Arguing density vs. sprawl
  • Enjoy discussing the virtues of parking garages vs. grade level parking although you fully realize that parking garages are an aesthetic abomination

You routinely use words in casual conversation like big box, green infrastructure, in-filling, gentrification, smart growth, traffic calming, context sensitive design, and rational nexus.

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
When you call to catch up with friends from planning school, 5 minutes of the conversation is spent on spouses, kids, etc, and 1 hour 20 minutes is spent comparing ordinances, discussing the merits of constructed wetlands, griping about bad projects, bragging about good ones, etc.
And you can remember the ordinances well enough when at home to discuss them in detail--"But our on-premise identification sign only allows x square feet when oriented to a major thoroughfare, and if the parcel has xx amt of lineal feet!"
When you go to the local home improvement store (choosing which one, of course, based on landscaping, context sensitivity, etc--"But, honey, this one has a constructed wetland and was built on a bus line!"), you tell the clerk behind the counter exactly how many square feet and lineal feet you need of Formica--and pull an engineer's scale and drawing done 1x40 out of your bag to show her.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
You can read an aerial photograph, any aerial photograph, and point out details that transfixes the average joe
You can find the PL immediately on engineering drawings
You can read a map without having to orient it to the direction you are travelling ;-)
You observe new environments and can understand their history without having to read/research it

Tom R

Cyburbian
p:geek

You tick off and/or bewilder a relative from another state when they complain about their local zoning problems and you take the side of the local government zoning officials with a 15 minute diatribe about good planning practices.