• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

You'd think I am Cardinal's next-door neighbour

nerudite

Cyburbian
As soon as I saw this thing three nights in a row hanging around the steps to my deck, I figured we probably have a new tenant under the deck. I have never seen a porcupine up close, let alone share a structure with a porcupine. <<And to all the current planning geeks, don't say that my attached deck is not part of the structure, because to me it's close enough. ;)>> I'm not all that thrilled, but he is kind of cute in a thank-god-there-is-glass-between-me-and-him kind of way.

So tomorrow I have to start calling animal control so I can borrow a trap from them (with deposit, of course). Their voicemail message this evening didn't say what kind of trap it is (caught live or squashed flat), so I guess I'll have to find out about that too. Anyone know of any good options for live removal? He already has a name (Big Buddy), so it's not like he's going to die now.

Here's a pic (sorry I'm such a coward and wouldn't get closer). I hope I have done Cardinal justice nonetheless.

Attachments

Doitnow

Cyburbian
Nice pic but sorry!

I missed the connection between the porcupine and Cardinal

Also it took me a moment to actually picture out the porcupine in that snap.:)

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Doitnow!! said:
Nice pic but sorry!

I missed the connection between the porcupine and Cardinal

Also it took me a moment to actually picture out the porcupine in that snap.:)
About this time last year I engaged in a racoon removal procedure from my basswood, precipitated by the mother racoon hitting a car.

Congratulations on your porcupine! You must feel honored to have your structure selected as a suitable home. I hope it is a live trap that they give you, but be careful using it and don't be sticking any fingers in to pet the thing.

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
They are pretty neat animals, however I don't think I would want one living under my porch.

I can just see it, It is summer and it is late and I have been to the bar. I am wearing sandles becuase it is hot out and I am approaching the steps. "Big Buddy" is just kickin it under the steps waiting for his nightly walk and I scare the Porcui-poop out of him and he attacks my feet.

As cute and neat as this little critter, behind a skunk, he has gotta go.

Floridays

Cyburbian
If the traps don't work....mangia, baby! (i really did find this on a google search)

Marinated Porcupine Chops

Amount Measure Ingredient
6 Porcupine chops
3 Fingers coltsfoot salt
1 qt Maple sap
2 sm Wild onions
4 Wild leeks
Preparation Method

Pour the sap in a birch bark container or other non-metallic container. Cut up the onions into small pieces and add to the sap.
Place the porcupine chops one at a time into the solution, placing one wild leek between the chops. Let stand overnight in a cool place. In the morning grease the stone griddle with fat and remove the chops from the marinade and fry on the griddle. Serve on hot cornmeal cakes.

note from author: "Since porcupines are very slow-moving, anyone lost in woods where porcupines live can always eat. The animal can be easily killed with a club for a source of food.
Whatever your particular attitude is, should you want to try a porcupine, go right ahead. It is not necessarily true that they taste like kerosene! The porcupine cleans out easily. Much as you would proceed with a rabbit, slit the belly area, thus avoiding the quills. Naturally, remove the stomach. The hide peels off easily, as does the rabbit's, right down to the feet and there you are with lean, dark meat. (In Pennsylvania, if the quills aren't to be saved, they are first singed off, then the skin is cut off.) Porkies range from 9 to 40 pounds. "

otterpop

Cyburbian
nerudite said:
Here's a pic (sorry I'm such a coward and wouldn't get closer). I hope I have done Cardinal justice nonetheless.
Not getting close is a good idea. My few encounters with porcupines have been at a distance. I've heard porcupines can be surly and even mean. Removal is best left to the professionals.

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
michaelskis said:
Come on... you need a pet!

I agree.

I suggest you try the amusement my father uses on chipmunks:

Paint it a bright neon green, then transport it 15 miles and dump it near a stream or wood (chipmunks don't need that long of a ride :) ). See if he comes back home to you. If he does, you have to keep him! :-D