• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Your craziest Family Holiday Tradition....

Ok, now that we know where y'all will be for the holidays, what is your family's craziest tradition?

Mine: When I was 8, my parents made a deal with Santa Claus to come to our house first on the East Coast, after dinner on Christmas Eve. My dad would take us out for a holiday drive and my mom would stay home to let santa out of our wood stove, and when we came home, our presents would be in our stockings and under the tree. This was instituted after my brother and I stayed up ALL night to see if Santa really existed and peeked out of our room every 20 minutes. Why my parents just didn't tell us that he wouldn't come if we didn't go to sleep is beyond me.... probably because they didn't want to get up at 5am to open presents.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
My parents were worse than us kids at waiting till Christmas morning to open gifts. Starting when I was about 10 (I was the youngest) we'd open one gift a day for the week before Christmas, then open the rest of them Christmas Eve.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
We used to also do the after dinner drive. My grandpa and mom would drive us around to look at all of the holiday lights and when we came back the gifts were magically under the tree. We would bother my dad and ask if he saw santa, but he always had some excuse like "I was watching TV and I heard some noise, but when I came out there was nobody there, just presents"

We don't do anything strange...

I dated this one girl who dragged me to the most horrible terrible holiday party that her friends have every year. There were all kinds of strange traditions, like forcing people to sing and dance and harassing you if you didn't.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
We don't do anything really crazy, but we do have a rule that whoever hosts X-mas morning must serve orange juice and Sara Lee's Pecan coffeecake.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
My mother had this short lived desire to have us kids fully showered dressed and fed with b-fast BEFORE we hit the tree.

hello how do you keep a 2 and 9 year old away from a christmas tree is beyond me. starting out my christmas morning with a spanking for pitching a fit was not a good way to go.

This isn't necessarily a tradition but one year when my brother was about 13 and I was 6, he took the keys to our mother's car and we looked into the truck and saw all of our presents before they were wrapped. On Christmas day when we opened the presents, we faked our joy and surprise. It's really obvious in the pictures. My mom was suspicious but never really figured it out until recent years. LOL

OhioPlanner

Cyburbian
On Christmas eve we wouldn't have dinner, we would have snacks instead. Mom would make these ham roll things.

Cheap super thin ham, with cream cheese and green onions rolled up and cut into little bites. We could not get enough of those things.

Mom still makes them today.

statler

Cyburbian
From what I understand most children left Milk & Cookies for Santa and some sort of Veggie for the raindeer. Well, we did the carrot sticks thing for Rudolph and friends; but Santa always got a beer. (Oddly enough, the exact same kind my dad drank.)

jmf

Cyburbian
We could open stocking stuff before breakfast and getting dressed but none of the under the tree gifts until after. We were always a big breakfast family so I don't remember it being much of an issue because we were all hungry.

I don't think any of our traditions were/are crazy but my husband sure does. He says he feels like he is putting on a Victorian play for my grandparents. I have to admit the past few years there has been a lot of 'don't rock the boat' but hey, the grandparents are in their 90s and if they are happy then it makes it easier on the rest of us.

I think the stupiest thing is trying to travel all over the place to see everyone even through crazy winter storms and horrible roads. Someone always gets their nose out of joint, some year I will have my own Christmas and the hell with everyone else, if they want to see me they can find me!

Habanero

Cyburbian
On Christmas we go all out fun and tear into presents, eat fajitas, drink Corona, play video and board games all day long, and watch old family movies. It's so much fun, and not typical at all. :)

Jeff

Cyburbian
cowley.11 said:
On Christmas eve we wouldn't have dinner, we would have snacks instead. Mom would make these ham roll things.

Cheap super thin ham, with cream cheese and green onions rolled up and cut into little bites. We could not get enough of those things.

Mom still makes them today.

Yo.....

What's up with the avatar theft!? I got dibs....

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
but Santa always got a beer
Now that's my kind of Santa!!

We never really had any weird traditions. My mom and dad would make everyone drink a glass of orange juice before heading to the tree. She knew we would be wrapped up for hours and not want to stop to eat.

A couple years ago after opening gifts, my entire family watched the South Park Christmas special. We're crazy like that.

nerudite

Cyburbian
We did most of our present opening on Christmas eve, with just Santa stuff the next day. Nothing too weird though... except that when I turned 16, my brother and I started ditching the family after Christmas dinner and then we'd go to a movie. This will be my 16th year in a row straight... Luckily, my boyfriend kind of digs this... when he was telling his mom about the Christmas plans with his kids this year, he made sure to let her know what we were doing Christmas after dinner. So it looks like the weird tradition of my own lives on.

Rob's family has a big Christmas Eve party every year at his aunt's house and all of the great aunts/uncles, grandparents and cousins attend ( i think we're up to almost 30 of us). Aside from a couple other odd traditions, my favorite, by far is when everyone gathers around the piano and Uncle Mike plays the 12 Days of Christmas. They have the corresponding ornaments for the song, and each family picks out a "Day of Christmas" that they are supposed to sing when its their turn. Well, half the people don't want to sing, Half way through the song, rob's grandmother starts crying because she can't sing like she used to, his Great Aunt Helen who is almost completely deaf has to be cued everytime they get to her (and invariably she gets three french hens or another low number) and then she gets upset because she doesn't really know whats going on, and the kids are all goofing off, and aunt dolly gets mad because no one is paying attention. And they do this EVERY YEAR! hee.

el Guapo

Capitalist
When I was in the Army in Germany all the single guys would watch Scarface on Christmas morning and get drunk by noon. Ah...good times...

nerudite

Cyburbian
El Guapo said:
When I was in the Army in Germany all the single guys would watch Scarface on Christmas morning and get drunk by noon. Ah...good times...
Hmmm... maybe that will work for when my b.f.'s mom comes out in a few days. Word is that she goes through a bottle of rum every few days. Ought to be a wild vacation. ;)

Mastiff

Gunfighter
jmf said:
We could open stocking stuff before breakfast and getting dressed but none of the under the tree gifts until after. We were always a big breakfast family so I don't remember it being much of an issue because we were all hungry.
Bingo! Same way it was at my house...

kms

Cyburbian
My parents, well my dad, were like bturks's. We opened a gift every night begining five days or so before Christmas, finishing on Christmas Eve. My dad couldn't wait. One year, he woke US at three AM to open gifts. I remember roller skating around the dining room table in the middle of the night. Another year, he sent us back to our rooms on Christmas Eve; we heard such a clatter, then he called us back into a living room full of presents! Our kids open presents on Christmas morning, but we don't have any wacky traditions.

donk

Cyburbian
my family was odd also.

until i was 10 we celebrated both hannukah and christmas every year, with neither of the inlaws over lapping.

Family traditions

Allowed to open one gift of your choice christmas eve.

Afew times I went with my dad and uncle for chinese food and the movies.

Being 10 and mixing and serving alcoholic drinks at my grandmothers annula party. The worst part is still rememebring what all the people who are now dead drink and how strong they like their drinks.

On a number of occassions we did not even get out of our PJ's all day.

On other times no one would bother cooking the turkey, there was enough left overs from teh night before and all of the candy.

nerudite

Cyburbian
I just finished my annual work holiday tradition... every year I bake a big noodle kugel and book a boardroom and serve breakfast to everyone in my department/work team a day or two before I take off on holidays. It's just a nice time for all of us to sit down and have a relaxing breakfast, o.j., and coffee to catch up a little before heading our separate ways for Christmas. :)

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
No real "traditions" around our place. We did try to watch "A Christmas Carol" every Christmas Eve. It had to be the 1954 Alistair Sims version though...

Scrooge: More Bread!
Waiter (small boy): ha'penny extra, sir.
Scrooge: (scowling) No more bread!

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:
No real "traditions" around our place. We did try to watch "A Christmas Carol" every Christmas Eve. It had to be the 1954 Alistair Sims version though...

Scrooge: More Bread!
Waiter (small boy): ha'penny extra, sir.
Scrooge: (scowling) No more bread!
I love that one. It is easily the best version.

Journeymouse

Cyburbian
My family, or more usually my Dad and I, have gone for a walk on the beach every Christmas Eve since I was 5. Usually we go to Filey (about 80 miles from Eastoft/where we were) but last year we went to Hythe (about 90 miles from Guildford/where we were). This year we can't, so we're moving it to New Year's Eve and we're going to Hythe...

And we like the Albert Finney musical scrooge/christmas carol best.
*wanders off singing "Father Christmas"*

Bullwinkle

Cyburbian
Journeymouse said:
And we like the Albert Finney musical scrooge/christmas carol best.
*wanders off singing "Father Christmas"*

We always watch the Albert Finney one, too. I usually fall asleep halfway through it, but my wife loves it.

prudence

Cyburbian
By 7pm every Christmas day, all the cousins sprint to the local water hole to get wrecked. You can only take your family so long...

prudence

Cyburbian
PlannerGirl said:
starting out my christmas morning with a spanking for pitching a fit was not a good way to go.
Seems right up your alley...now we know where it all began.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
prudence said:
By 7pm every Christmas day, all the cousins sprint to the local water hole to get wrecked. You can only take your family so long...
Yep. I'm ditching the folks about 6PM, having the boys over for cocktails at 7PM, and hitting the bars by 9PM.