• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

your dad

Floridays

Cyburbian
Father's Day is this weekend and I've been thinking a lot about my dad. He's been a great father although we totally butted heads when I was the teenager from hell.
I found this quiz

Score: 25 points -- You're dad may not be the "coolest" guy on the block, but he obviously loves you very much. Make sure he has a great Father's Day!

Take the quiz and share your score...or any other thoughts about your daddy!

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Score: 24 points -- You're dad may not be the "coolest" guy on the block, but he obviously loves you very much. Make sure he has a great Father's Day!

My dad's always been there in a supportive way, and always gve me enough room to learn for myself. My wife and I snet a batch of fresh homemade cookies to our father's.

Dragon

Cyburbian
Score: 18 points -- You have a very cool dad! Make sure he has a great Father's Day!

There were almost a couple of fistfights when I was a teenager. But luckily it never came to that. My friends always liked my dad too. Especially when he mooned them. :-c He is just a big kid. :-D

otterpop

Cyburbian
My Dad was a good dad. He has had arthritis since he was in his thirties, so we did not do much of the traditional dad and son things. My mom taught us how to play sports and went on outings with us. He wasn't mr. fix-it and helpless around the house, so I learned to do things myself and taught myself.

My Dad taught me to think for myself. He respected my opinions that differed from his own, but would challenge me. Not so much to change my mind but to help me defend my viewpoint. We talked a lot when I was a teenager and young adult about all things. My Dad is very smart and educated. Can't hardly think of him without picturing him sitting in his chair or on the sofa with a book in his lap.

We shared common interests - shooting, books, "Rumpole of the Bailey", etc.. We watched "Taxi" reruns together and howled with laughter.

We had fun together and had few cross words.

Not a perfect Dad, but a good one and a man to be admired.

biscuit

Cyburbian
18 points - I have a very cool dad. Growing up I never would have though that but now I've come to realize that my dad is one of the kindest, most sincere people there is. Mr. Southern Baptist deacon even gave me a good wad of cash the day of my bacholer party, and he knew where that going.

GeogPlanner

Cyburbian
How come there isn't a question like...

When arguing, you settle the argument by:
a. shooting hoops.
b. giving in to dad.
c. fists
d. running away.

BRING IT ON POPS! Gotta love growing up Irish and being 15.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
20 - You're dad may not be the "coolest" guy on the block, but he obviously loves you very much. Make sure he has a great Father's Day!

The scary thing is that with every passing day, I'm becoming more and more like my father.....

nerudite

Cyburbian
My dad and I were pretty close when I was very young and then we tended to grow apart when I was in the third or fourth grade. He worked *a lot* so we probably only saw him a few hours a week outside of the weekend. He is a good person and he always has me in stitches from his dry wit (which is now augmented by funny cranky-old-man moments). I wish I had more time to spend with him.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Score: 23 points -- You're dad may not be the "coolest" guy on the block, but he obviously loves you very much. Make sure he has a great Father's Day!

I love it when he comes to visit or I visit him, he always pays for golf.:)

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
When I was a teenager, I gave serious consideration to having the profile of my dad's WWII battleship -- as seen through the crosshairs of the periscope of a japanese submarine -- tattooed on my bicep. I was pretty full of anger.

As I got older I grew to understand how the war wounded him forever and how his parents divorce while he was at sea broke his heart.

He loved the United States Constitution and could quote Articles from memory. He probably could have been a lawyer if he'd have gone to school after the war, but it was not to be. He was a tile setter until the shop voted to go union and, on principle, refused to join choosing instead to work as the company custodian.

He was a die-hard New York Giants football fan.

He passed away in October of 1993 before my wife and I had our kids. I think that I have yet to get over his passing.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
My dad died nine years ago. He was the one who always listened to us, even when we were in BIG trouble. Dad never flew off the handle or yelled, at least until he had the whole story. He could empathize with teenage angst. We had a lot of common interests, like reading, crosswords and jigsaws, and boating, and he took the family on many fun, memorable trips. He was pretty darn cool for a lawyer!

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
I lost my dad in 85. For some reason it bothers me more this year than most.

giff57 said:
I lost my dad in 85. For some reason it bothers me more this year than most.
Perhaps you are getting close to the age he was when he died. A lot of people feel like they will die at the same age as their parents, especially the same sex one. Madonna was so rabid in her twenties because her mom died in her early 30's. She felt like her time was limited. Once she lived past the age her mom was when her mom died, she calmed down a whole lot.

It is a reasonable fear, actually, if that is what is jerking your chain.

But it might not have anything to do with it. :-D

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Michele Zone said:
A lot of people feel like they will die at the same age as their parents, especially the same sex one.
My ex- worried about that. Unfortunately, he has now outlived his dad by 5 years. :-c ;-)

H

Cyburbian
My dad rocks!! The 18 points doesnt do him justice. Unfortunately I wont be able to see him this weekend, but will get to see him in a few weeks.

I am not a dad, but to all you dads out there in cyburbia, Happy Father's Day. :b:

H

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Michele Zone said:
Perhaps you are getting close to the age he was when he died. A lot of people feel like they will die at the same age as their parents, especially the same sex one. Madonna was so rabid in her twenties because her mom died in her early 30's. She felt like her time was limited. Once she lived past the age her mom was when her mom died, she calmed down a whole lot.

It is a reasonable fear, actually, if that is what is jerking your chain.

But it might not have anything to do with it. :-D
Not sure if that is it or not, I have five years to go, don't smoke like he did. I also take daily asprin and a cholesterol lowering drug. Something to think about though

giff57 said:
Not sure if that is it or not, I have five years to go, don't smoke like he did. I also take daily asprin and a cholesterol lowering drug. Something to think about though
If it isn't making you go "AHA!", then it probably isn't it. That is a generic, human thing that gets to a lot of folks but not specific to you as an individual. I don't know you well enough to really guess what particulars would hit you hard.

My folks are both still alive. I really can't identify with your situation.

Rem

Cyburbian
Fathers Day isn't until September in Oz. Probably a good thing - my score was 32.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
This Bear's score was 23. Papa Bear was a pretty cool dude. He passed-on six (6) years ago.

I gotta a million stories but I will only tell one (1).....

I was between marriages and dating a woman named Brenda Black. I was early 40's and she was about 39. I said, "I know the bar in Toledo my dad drinks at. Let's stop in and I will introduce you."

We arrived at the bar and, for sure, he was there. During the introductions I said, "This is Brenda Black."

He said, "Nice to meet you. I'm dating a Brenda Black, too."

I later found out that the Brenda Black he was dating was 32 years old.

Good old dad.

BEAR REMEMBERING DAD