• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Your Dream Car

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Assuming you have a dream car, what would it be? Even if you don't own a car and use public transit/foot/bike. This is mine. A slightly modified 1933 Ford. Incidently, it's for sale at $65,000...I'm taking donations.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
One of these three would be fine: BMW M-3 Coupe, Mercedes CLK Coupe, or an Infiniti G-35 Coupe.

donk

Cyburbian
I am partial to jags, an early 70's XKE or a late 80's XJS would be fine.

I'd also take a new mini, an old mini or pretty much any mercedes or a volvo cross country.

martini

Cyburbian
We seem to be stuck on cars here as of late...not that there's anything wrong with that!

I love these things. Lancer Evolution. $30k for something that is obscenely fast and will scare many more expensive cars out there.

or a Vovlo 850 T-5R. A sation wagon that'll scare the pants offa more than a few 'hot' cars.

Seems I've got thsi thing for sedans that can easily haul a family and groceries, yet still put the hammer down if neccessary. Surprisingly, I don't need a ton a cash for my dream cars. Guess it's cause I come from a more modest approach. i like subtelty. I do really like the BMW M3 coupe though...the Csi version is HOT!

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
A jeep wrangler for summer and a subaru WRX for winters and long trips.

Repos choices are nice too, but i'm out of my high-brow car phase of life.

otterpop

Cyburbian
My dream car I still have, though it is getting old and frail. The Subaru Legacy 4WD station wagon. Mine is a 1986. I call her Ruth (after "Gunsmoke" Festus' mule). Built before Subaru went to all wheel drive. Unless you like buying four new tires every year, who needs 4WD all the time? Anyhoo, the trusty Subaru wagon is one of the most popular cars in Montana. I've never got it stuck in the snow or gumbo mud. She holds the road like a champ in snow and ice. Not bad on gas consumption. Ole Ruth ain't what she once was, and mostly I use her for city driving during the winter months, but she is reliable and safe. The Subaru Comany made a mistake not continuing that model. You can have the Forester or Outback, what I want is a brand-spanking new 4WD Legacy. Dream on!

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Mine right now would probably be this Lancia Aurelia

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
martini said:

or a Vovlo 850 T-5R. A sation wagon that'll scare the pants offa more than a few 'hot' cars.

EG just had an orgasm

Tom R

Cyburbian
car

donk said:

WRONG A '60's XKE with the 6 cylinder and sloped headlight covers. Must be canary yellow, convertable with white leather seats.

Realisticaly, I'd be very happy with a Triumph TR 3. Must be Red or BRG.

donk

Cyburbian
for me jags of that vintage only come in one colour - british racing green. my uncle had one, boy was it fun to drive ( the 2 times i got to drive it)

el Guapo

Capitalist
giff57 said:
EG just had an orgasm
Somewhere in Sweden a kitty is dead.

If I could get what I really want it would be a showroom floor clean 1993, Volvo 245 Classic with the roof rack in pewter. Kinda like the one linked to below, but I'd get better rims and a kicking sound system. It is the Honda Element of the 90's

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I have known and heard stories that the 245s and DLs were the best Volvos ever built. In planning school, a fellow student had a 245 wagon with 240,000 miles and he loved his car.

I definitely agree with you about this car

donk

Cyburbian
when I think of volvo that is the car I think of. As I said teh new cross country looks really nice though.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
This is a Volvo V70 XC....

This is why SUVs are unneccessary for most people.

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
Just got it a few weeks ago: black Golf TDI with Monsoon stereo (so every little chirp from OK Computer comes through loud and clear) and sunroof and MANUAL, the only way to go---for 700 miles a tank.

Wheeeeee!!!

Miles Ignatius

Cyburbian
James Dean Had One!

A 51' Merc. 4-Door Sedan with the original Flathead V-8, 3 speed transmission with overdrive. Motorhead heaven and symmetry in motion!

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I am kind of partial to the sleigh in "The Santa Claus" that dispensed hot cocoa and cookies; and hey, uses NO gas!

More seriously, an old Pontiac GTO.

Runner

Cyburbian
I'm easy to please,
I'll take a 2004 Mini Cooper S in yellow w/ white top and I'll even share it with the bride :)

nerudite

Cyburbian
I've always wanted an xterra. One of the souped up sporty ones. I really am not too picky... a pathfinder will do to.

JNL

Cyburbian
Here's my baby.... but I want it in black....

The HSV ClubSport - one thing Australia does well, Rem!

JNL

Cyburbian
Rem said:
One thing among many?
Like what? Netball? No. Rugby? No. But do you have a much larger population? Yes. So...? :p

Perhaps we should have a separate thread devoted to Aussie/Kiwi rivalry... I could go on all day...

JNL

Cyburbian
Okay, we won, and you graciously acknowledged that, so I'll agree to a truce :)

Besides, us Australasians need to stick together round here, we can help each other translate the American English.

Tom R

Cyburbian
Re: James Dean Had One!

Miles Ignatius said:
A 51' Merc. 4-Door Sedan with the original Flathead V-8, 3 speed transmission with overdrive. Motorhead heaven and symmetry in motion!
My uncle had one too. It rode like a barge on a calm sea. Great car.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Re: car

Tom R said:
donk said:

WRONG A '60's XKE with the 6 cylinder and sloped headlight covers. Must be canary yellow, convertable with white leather seats.

Realisticaly, I'd be very happy with a Triumph TR 3. Must be Red or BRG.
You fella's should have had the chance to attended the Pittsburgh Grand Prix over the weekend... Hundreds and hundreds of vintage and new European cars -Jaguar heaven.

I fell in love with one of the new ones on display and since we're dreaming, I'm going to dream expensive... The Aston Martin Vanquish.

BKM

Cyburbian
For a one-car household, I frankly can't think of anything better than my goofy little, bugeyed turbo-charged bright blue Subaru WRX Wagon. It hauls the dogs, it haus my bike, it even hauls (some) furniture! More importantly, it hauls ass while hugging the curves like a mother**&^*&!

If they offer the souped up version in a couple of years (300 hp) in a wagon, that would be even better!

Now, if we are talking more bucks, I would probably add a top-of-the-line Miata to my stable (assuming moderate money) or, for unlimited funds, a Maserati Spyder!

Last edited:

Jen

Cyburbian
Ok I am driving my dream car, a Passat turbo wagon!

But If I won the mega millions lotto, I would buy a Bentley Turbo R in red.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
BKM said:
If they offer the souped up version in a couple of years (300 hp) in a wagon, that would be even better!
THEY ARE! I just read the review in Sunday's paper -

WRX-tsi it'll run you $32,000

martini

Cyburbian
Chet said:
THEY ARE! I just read the review in Sunday's paper -

WRX-tsi it'll run you $32,000
You sure? I thought the Sti version was only coming over in the sedan version? I may have adjust my dreams. I love Subies!

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
martini said:
You sure? I thought the Sti version was only coming over in the sedan version? I may have adjust my dreams. I love Subies!
First year is sedan only, the wagon will follow (Subaru is notorious for this for some reason).

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
Chet said:
First year is sedan only, the wagon will follow (Subaru is notorious for this for some reason).
I think they have this for the Forester. The Forester was redesigned and looks less dorky than before, in my opinion. I have a Subaru and while it's no dream car, I absolutely love it.

And whoever said AWD makes you have to get new tires every year is not buying good tires. I've had my car for 2 years and have 50,000 miles on the original set. I'll probably get new ones soon, though.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Gotta add my voice to the Subaru crowd. I love mine (except for the black leather interior) and plan to get a new one soon. I may spring for the 3.0 L in the Legacy wagon.

BKM

Cyburbian
Good news (about the wagon).

I probably won't be trading my WRX in for awhile, but. . . And the other problem is I like some of the creature comforts in the WRX that are extra in the STI.

As for it being a dream car, I guess I'm becoming more practical with age. And that practicality+fun combination is why I love my Subie. Its not perfect, I've got my "list" (those damn floor mats and mat hooks suck!) but overall, its just a great car.

Tom R

Cyburbian
Re: Re: car

biscuit said:
You fella's should have had the chance to attended the Pittsburgh Grand Prix over the weekend... Hundreds and hundreds of vintage and new European cars -Jaguar heaven.

I fell in love with one of the new ones on display and since we're dreaming, I'm going to dream expensive... The Aston Martin Vanquish.

I remember in high school a kid from THE rich family would pick up his girl friend from school in a yellow XKE. I remember them driving by while I walked up the hill home. Sigh

BKM

Cyburbian
Mercedes versus Buicks!

Hey, Dan. You read the Powers survey that showed that Buicks have better reliability over the long term than Mercedes :)

And Volkswagen JUST beat the Korean tin cans for reliability

(Let's start a grudge match! VW drivers are even more fanatical than Subaru (and Volvo) owners!) :)

Cardinal

Cyburbian
BKM said:
Its not perfect, I've got my "list" (those damn floor mats and mat hooks suck!) but overall, its just a great car.
Have they improved the cup holders in the newer models? Mine is a 1999, and they only hold items the size of an aluminum can. A bottle of Diet Coke won't fit, or will some of the wider disposable cups. The cup holder is also above the radio, which makes it difficult to change CD's or read the display.

The other issue I have with the car is that the switches for the heated seats are on the center console, and it is too easy to accidently turn them on.

BKM

Cyburbian
Cup holders still suck (as you described). But, I've never had a car with a good cupholder, so I can't ding Subaru in particular for this flaw.

No heated seats in my car. On a related note, I don't like their placement of the mirror controls on the central panel. Too easy for me (or the beasts) to jiggle.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
BKM said:
Good news (about the wagon).

I probably won't be trading my WRX in for awhile, but. . . And the other problem is I like some of the creature comforts in the WRX that are extra in the STI.
My husband's a Subaru tech, and just came back from training in the STI. He says it's a rocket... an absolute rocket! He seriously doubts there'll be a wagon because of the way the body has been reinforced to handle the horsepower & weight.

New Turbo Forester will beat a WRX (amazing - he says). :)

And next yr or yr after, there will be a Twin Turbo Legacy.

Funny reading the posts about the cupholders - that's the only complaint I have about my Forester!

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Mud Princess said:
Funny reading the posts about the cupholders - that's the only complaint I have about my Forester!
I took mine in a couple weeks ago. There were some other people in the waiting room talking about the cup holders. Right away I knew they were Subie owners.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Mud Princess said:
Wind noise is my other complaint.

1. From the cross bars on the roof rack (take a euro hint and stow them when not in use!), and

B. From door / window seals that failed after 2 winters

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
Michael Stumpf said:
Have they improved the cup holders in the newer models? Mine is a 1999, and they only hold items the size of an aluminum can. A bottle of Diet Coke won't fit, or will some of the wider disposable cups. The cup holder is also above the radio, which makes it difficult to change CD's or read the display.
That's the same complaint with my Subaru. The cupholder is useless unless for a can of soda (which I seldom drink). And it's the first thing people touch when they get in my car, clicking it in and out like it's a toy.

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
I thought I would go back and revive the dream car thread...

Well, the Pontiac POS is toast, so I had to go find a new car. Suburb Repairman decided he either had to do this now while he was young with no debt and little responsibility, or wait until he could use the "middle-age crazy" excuse. So, yesterday I purchased a bright red 2004 Mazda RX-8 with only 9500 miles on it. I managed to convince the dealer to add the extended warranty up to a 6-year/100K since I have no clue how to work on a rotary engine. My favorite feature is the navigation system (I am such a geography nerd 8-| ). For those of you not familiar with one of these cars, here's a couple of pics of one identical to the one I just bought:

So, with all of the new members and new cars that have come out since this thread started a year and a half ago, what is your dream car?