• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Your Employer

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
Don't you just love it when your employer sends you this as an email? (This is an actual email)

SWAT Exercise

REMINDER The Fairfax County Police Department SWAT Team will be conducting a training exercise tomorrow from 6:00PM to 12:00AM in Herrtity Building. All staff not involved in this exercise should leave the Herrity Building no later than 5:30 PM tomorrow. If you have any questions please call me .

I am thinking that putting a shoebox on someone's desk might spark a little fun for the SWAT members. Tee hee.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I was working one Saturday morning when the local SWAT team was practicing a hostage crisis in my building. They didn't know I was there and I didn't know what they were up to.

Suddenly, I've got a laser beam shining at me from around the corner and a Sherrif's Deputy screaming at me to get on the floor. Scared the poop out of me.

A little advance notice might have been a good thing...
I'd 'a stood in bed!

Cirrus

Cyburbian
I regularly get drafted by the Denver PD to role-play for training exercises. All sorts of fun shouting obscenities, shooting pretend guns, and trying to take hostages with actual, real cops.

... Course, I get to do it because my brother is a Denver cop and one of the teachers, not because they invade my building :)

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Since I am a member of the LEPC and EMA volunteer,
I am frequently invited to participate in Haz-Mat drills.
I have had Incident Command/ ARC Shelter training,
I just love with glee catching Command making evacuation decisions without thinking about the consequences.

pandersen

Cyburbian
You think you got it bad - look what came from my head office this morning.

funny thing though, I could see the potential benefits of bringing rubber gloves and a respirator to some of my community meetings.

UNIVERSAL BLOOD AND BODILY FLUID PRECATUIONS (B/BF)

PURPOSE
To minimize the risk of infectious disease to workers through exposure to blood and/or bodily fluids

BACKGROUND
Health and safety authorities throughout the world agree that blood and certain other body fluids (B/BF) should be considered a hazard for the potential of bloodborne pathogen infection in directly exposed workers. “Bloodborne Pathogen Precautions” (formerly Universal Precautions) is the standard practice for preventing exposure to B/BF.

There are a number of bloodborne pathogens of which Hepatitis B and C and HIV (AIDS) are the most important. Transmission occurs by direct contact with infected blood or certain other body fluids (e.g. semen, vaginal secretions, blood tinged body cavity fluids, etc.) Exposure to feces, urine, vomitus, sputum, tears, and nasal secretions are not considered risky unless visibly blood tinged.

For workplaces where workers are exposed to sharp objects (e.g. knives, saws, scissors, needles), procedures for safe handling and first aid are required.

WHAT IS A SIGNIFICANT EXPOSURE?
Exposure to blood or body fluids in certain ways:
 Puncturing the skin with a sharp object coated with B/BF e.g. needlestick, razor, broken glass, scissors, knife, etc;
 Splashing blood onto mucous membrane (eyes, nose, mouth);
 Splashing blood onto non-intact skin (e.g. abrasion, eczema, other damaged skin).

MANAGING EXPOSURE TO HUMAN BLOOD/BODY FLUIDS

CLEAN-UP OF SPILLS AND CONTAMINATED SURFACES:

Spills
 Clean up spills of human blood and blood-contaminated fluids promptly following the method below.
 ALWAYS wear protective gloves.
 If splashing is anticipated, wear protective eyewear and clothing also.

METHOD
1. Remove any visible material with absorbent disposable towels or other appropriate means, and dispose into plastic bags.
2. Clean the area with water and detergent.
3. Decontaminate the area with an appropriate Germicide and allow to dry.
 Household bleach can be used for this purpose.
 For decontamination of aluminum or electronic equipment, use 70% isopropyl alcohol solution applied for 10 minutes.
 Tools and instruments should be disinfected in the same fashion.
4. Wash hands after removing gloves.
5. Clean and decontaminate soiled equipment or place in an appropriate container and dispose of in accordance with the facility’s policy.

Soiled Clothing
 Remove and launder in the usual fashion.

Soiled Tools and Instruments
 Clean contaminated tools/instruments with paper towels.
 Wash and decontaminate with appropriate disinfectant.

Cleaning Products
 Soap (and water) is the most common and most easily accessible cleaning product.
 A commonly used disinfectant is household bleach solution - one part bleach to nine parts water (1:10 solution) prepared daily.
 For decontamination of aluminum or electronic equipment, 70% isopropyl alcohol solution applied for 10 minutes.

Disposal of Sharp Objects which have been contaminated.
 Do not place in the regular garbage.
 Safe garbage handling procedures to be practiced.

PERSONAL PROTECTION

Handwashing
 Handwashing is the most important aspect of infection control, regardless of the appropriate use of gloves.
 Hands must be washed thoroughly with soap and water after all direct contact with B/BF.

Gloves
 Latex or vinyl gloves are to be worn….
 when handling any items soiled with B/BF
 when there is direct contact with B/BF
 when in contact with open wounds or sores.

Respiratory Protection
 Disposable resucitation masks with a one-way valve mechanism are kept in the First Aid Kits. These must be used when performing cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR).

What to do when an exposure incident occurs.

1. Determine whether a significant exposure has occurred (see definition)

2. Get first aid immediately – flush thoroughly.

3. Seek medical attention immediately if a significant exposure occurred – preferably within 2 hours. Timely assessment is necessary for the initiation of preventative medication and/or vaccination.

4. Report the incident to appropriate supervisors or occupational health personnel.

NOTE:
 B/BF contact with intact skin is not considered to be a risk for the spread of bloodborne pathogens
 Vaccination against Hepatitis B is highly recommended for workers at risk of exposure to B/BF in their usual duties.

moose

Bloodborne pathogens is nothing! Next week, I get to take "fatality training" at my demolition work site (I think they should call it "anti-fatality training" -- but they don't ask me).

When I was getting my 40-hour HAZWOPER training a couple months ago, I despirately wanted to use the demonstration Level A gear (think moon suits from "Outbreak" or similar) to run through the downstairs offices of the building where the class was being held. My dream was shattered when I saw that the suits had "FOR TRAINING ONLY" written on the back in big letters.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Cirrus said:
I regularly get drafted by the Denver PD to role-play for training exercises.

I used to do this for Oak Harbor, WA. It was so much fun... you got out of the office for a few days to ham it up (no pun intended) with all the boys in blue. My favorite role was where I got to play a distraught mother who just had her son throw in jail. I got to confront the jailer and really berate him/her for putting my baby boy in prison.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
pandersen said:
funny thing though, I could see the potential benefits of bringing rubber gloves and a respirator to some of my community meetings.

I could use the respirator for some of the people who show up at our meetings...

BKM

Cyburbian
For some of OUR meetings, you just need to light a match, (and watch the fumes wafting from the citizen "leaders" catch flame :) )

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I continue to be surprised by the fact that a known Trail Nazi would be worried by such an insignificant event as a SWAT exercise. They should be fearing her!

tsc

Cyburbian
When I first started working... on my second day at my new job, my director came in and said:
"Someone just called in and said there was a bomb in City Hall, so if you see anything abnormal, please tell us"

Duh... and what was I to base normal on,, since I just started???