• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Your favorite cheese!

Mike got me thinking, ok, daydreaming, about cheese. hey, its friday afternoon. leave me alone. anyway, i think my favorite cheese would easily have to be Cheese Curds - i'll always have a soft spot in my heart for Wisconsin for having the amazing idea of deep frying them.

but - i also love the feta. after its been awhile since i've had it, one bite can cause a fit of ecstacy.

so come on, profess your love for your favorite cheese.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
I can't name one single favourite cheese...my wife and I love the stuff. We try to hit some of the cheese shops in the Kensington Market when we can and try new varieties.

Favs:

Emmenthal (swiss)
Gruyere
Smoked Gouda
Goat Feta
Kefalytri - fry it up, set it on fire and shout OPA!

donk

Cyburbian
i can smell global cheese right now. when you ask for a cheese they bring out the machete and carve you a little piece first. When I was there in Sept I asked for a really pungent and tangy old cheddar for my dad, the guy cuts me a piece and made me eat it, even though I don't like old cheddars, tasted like sport socks smell.

my favourite cheese has to be mendelsohns cream cheese.

I second kel's comments on curds, except I remember getting them on this place on the road to killaloe north of peterboro

As for Brie, most european "soft" cheeses or cheeses with active cultures have stopped being imported into north america due to the danger of spreading foot and mouth disease.

BKM

Cyburbian
My favorite Subject

From the other thread :), my top 5: (Yes, I have a top five in cheese)

1. Pierre Robert-

French artisinal cheese, very pungeant, a little salty triple cream, triple the cholesterol :)

2. English Stilton

Trader Joe's sells a really great English Stilton

3. Red Hawk

A local Sonoma County cheese-a little like a more pungeant Brie.

4. Jarlsberg

Much better than swiss cheese, in my opinion.

5. Explorateur

Another great French cheese, a little sharper than Pierre Robert.

God, I need to go to The Pasta Shop in Oakland this weekend. Great cheese selection!

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
donk said:
i can smell global cheese right now. when you ask for a cheese they bring out the machete and carve you a little piece first. When I was there in Sept I asked for a really pungent and tangy old cheddar for my dad, the guy cuts me a piece and made me eat it, even though I don't like old cheddars, tasted like sport socks smell.

my favourite cheese has to be mendelsohns cream cheese.

I second kel's comments on curds, except I remember getting them on this place on the road to killaloe north of peterboro
Global cheese is one of our favs!

nerudite

Cyburbian
Munster is my fave... especially in a grilled turkey and hot mustard sandwich... yum!

I also love brie, havarti... the list goes on.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
There is no way that I could pick out a favorite. I love to wander the Farmer's Market in Madison, sampling and picking out a selection:

- 5 year aged cheddar for melting over a burger with bacon;
- a world-champion muenster for melting over turkey on an onion roll;
- curds, a.k.a. "squeeky cheese," no need to say more;
- fresh parmesan and asiago for great Italian food;
- pesto havarti for a tangier flavor;
- an almond swiss cheese spread for crackers.

Oh, there are more. This is a very cruel thread - no Farmer's Market until May!

jmf

Cyburbian
I love cheese....will have to get to Kensington next time I'm in TO!

My current favs are: Oka - made in Quebec; Balderson old cheddar; cantal - french unpasturized cheese from central France.

A friend of my mom's makes awesome pepper jelly. I take a piece of Brie and put a few tablespoons of the jelly on top and then pop it in the micro for 30-45 secs. Mmm-mmm good.

Runner

Cyburbian
It's going to be pretty hard for me to name a favorite. I remember growing up near Boston and going in to the city to the farmers market. There were lots of little stores nearby that specialized in one food item or another. The cheese store was one of my favorites.
I also remember a trip to a Vermont cheese factory and the great Vermont cheddar they made.

"It's all good"

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
I love picking up some cheese from the international cheese section when I go to the market.

Cheese + wine = a great way to start a meal! (or a meal in itself, with some crackers, olives....)

Stilton is definitely one of my favorites.

Another one is a Spanish cheese - Manchega?? or something like that. It's a dry, nutty cheese that goes great with guava paste from Puerto Rico.

I also like the flavored cheeses - with pesto, with horseradish, etc.

Boy, this is making me hungry. My boss just asked us if we want to go out for a beer after work. Hmm, can I get a cheese plate with that? :)

Repo Man

Cyburbian
There are far too many to list.

Gouda
Habenero Jack
Smoked Gruyere
Curds
Gorgonzola (on salads or in recipes, not straight up)
Asiago
Fresh Mozzerella

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Well I like a few, not much of a Cheese freak, because mainly I don't see much variety here :(

-Regular farm Cheese
-Gouda
-Parmessano (for spaggetti with pesto :p ;))
-Gruyere
-Provolone (in pizza)
-Muzzarella (also in pizza)
that'll be it... not much actually

Political joke of the day:
I guess Saddam loves "kurds" :p

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
I'm not real big on cheese, but if I had to pick a favorite it would be jalopeno pepper jack. Other than that, provalone and mozzerella.

Habanero

Cyburbian
I wish we had a cheese store our here, we don't even have a place that would let us try the cheese before we bought it, not even the local high end market- :(

Last edited:

el Guapo

Capitalist
I love all the cheeses of the world. But these are my "go to" cheeses:

Blue
Havartti with Dill
Feta

And I'm going out on a grilled cheese burgeious limb and say: American.

nerudite

Cyburbian
El Guapo said:

And I'm going out on a grilled cheese burgeious limb and say: American.
I'm so used to saying American cheese... but everyone looks at you funny when you use that term up here. It's just plain processed cheese here (pronounced proh-cessed with the long o). The funny thing is that I actually started doubting whether there really was "american" cheese, or if it was just a term that my mom used. I don't have to wonder now... thanks!

donk

Cyburbian
American Cheese

I'm glad this has been mentioned, because I wondered what it was. They are also called cheese slices here.

I find it odd that processed cheese slices are given the name American. Somehow it seems fitting.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
When I was a kid, processed cheese slices were the only form of cheese I would eat. Now I won't touch the stuff, except on grilled cheese sandwiches...Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

nerudite

Cyburbian
TexasPlanner said:
Isn't American just yellow "cheese" sandwich slices?
Yeah... but once you move out of the country, it isn't called "American" cheese anymore. It's hard to break the habit of calling something the same thing for 30 years and then switch. Which is why I get all kinds of funny looks when I ask for it. But it's okay... I gave the same funny look back the first time a waitress offered me "brown" toast. Duh... isn't all toast brown? :) (And yeah... I know she meant wheat... but at the time I was perplexed).