• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Your favorite thing to do that is guaranteed to bring you out of a funk...

i was talking to my sister last night, and we're both just feeling kind of funky lately. it's been a long ass crappy winter, and although the burst of good weather over the weekend temporarily picked us up, we're back to freezing again today. We decided that we need a girl's road trip from Albany to my parents (2 1/2 hour trip). It really isn't even seeing my folks, although that is always nice (especially eating mom's food), but just driving down the highway, singing at the top of our lungs to our stupid 80's dance mix tape we made 12 years ago and daring my sister to flash the Walmart truckers. Always guaranteed to pull me out of funk.

I thought that with the end of winter *almost* here, this might be a relevant topic - so what do y'all do?

Jeff

Cyburbian
It's nice to get off my bike with toes that aren't near frostbite.

I also really like to go for early morning runs before work, outdoors. Its just not the same on the treadmill. The hum of the mill puts me back to sleep early in the morning.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Road trip! I love long distance driving... it's my best time to think, chill out, or whatever I need. I will usually just throw some clothes in an overnight bag and head out with no plan in mind. Sometimes I'll have a loose agenda... like see as many oversized monuments (like the world's largest pyrogy or the world's largest boot) in a weekend... or I'll pick a weird sounding town in the middle of the nowhere and go check it out for the hell of it. Stuff like that. (I still have my old 80s mix tapes too, Kel... although I don't listen to them in the car much anymore).

Sometimes cleaning the house makes me feel better (afterwards, of course). I figure if I'm miserable anyway, might as well be productive doing something I hate. In the end the exercise and a spankin'-clean house will make me feel a little better.

biscuit

Cyburbian
This was my first real northern winter and I haven't been able to get outside very much at all to burn of some of my hyperactive energy. So as soon as the weather broke last weekend I went on a long hike. Nothing brings me out of a pent-up funk like running around like crazy through the woods.

Another funk breaker is to get in the car and drive down some road or to some town I've never been before and try to find my way back without using a map. While doing this I'll usually have the stereo loudly blaring some good driving music. Very therpeutic.

Last edited:

donk

Cyburbian
When I figure out I'll let you all know, any suggestions appreciated.

But seriously, excercise, a good meal, buying new clothes or shoes can sometimes provide me some non chemical mood adjustment.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Road trip. Spontaneous and unplanned are the best.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Mountain biking when it is nice out. Cross Country skiing in the winter.

Going to to my parent's camper in Nothern Wisconsin for a weekend also does a good job of bringing me out of a funk. It is nice, quiet and relaxing. I usually go biking, fishing, or just sit around, drink beer, and read.

One of three things come to mind....play tennis, read or shop. These things are guaranteed to bring me out of a funk.

Habanero

Cyburbian
I like hiding out at my Mom's place- really quiet, waking up to cow moos, being able to walk for miles and never see another person. Very peaceful.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
im having a friend in from NC, the winter and the whole war thing has had me big time down and freaked out so i invited a friend up for 4 days-show them the joys of DC and ill feel all better

ive done this a couple times already and it was soooo wonderful. but for a quick fix i go to the tanning bed, the soft hum, the warmth down in my bones for 10-12 min and im happy for days

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Just getting out for a walk to clear my head - especially if it's somewhere I can "reconnect" to the City. I like the road trip thing too, but I'm not very spontaneous.

Retail therapy helps too.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Springtime usually brings me out of my winter funk in a few ways:

- There's more chirping going on as the migrants fly back, and the year-round residents change their tunes. It sounds so cheerful.

- I begin planning the late spring trip to Utah; ten days hiking in the canyons.

- Everything begins to turn green. I grab my camera and start hunting the spring blooms.

Road trips? I'm still undecided on whether I will hop into the car for a drive to Denver. The plane fare is too expensive, but this might be an excuse to drive the two-lane highways out there and back.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
KMateja said:
and daring my sister to flash the Walmart truckers.
Hmmm....wonder if she's flashed my father in law (a long haul trucker)? ;)

donk

Cyburbian
Maybe I should take up trucking, being flashed would probably bring me out of my funk, or cause alot of kittens to be killed.

Jen

Cyburbian
Another road tripper checking in, we are due for a road trip to Fla this June and cannot wait, of course we'll be in the Passat so it will be very comfortable for our family of four as opposed to the non existent creature comforts of our cargo van. Now the SO and I could be on the verge of permanent nastiness flinging daggers at each other but once the car is packed and we're sailing along the highway we find ourselves in a peaceful place in time.

Sometimes I like to wallow in funkiness, but when its time to emerge usually something loud and hard charging on the stereo lifts me out of it. That or a solo adventure in the kayak lasting hours also helps.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
prudence said:
I like to pretend I'm a WalMart trucker in hopes of strange women flashing me.
I thought it was railroad conductor. Or was that specific to the drinking incident. Because, quite honestly, everytime I use that one, IT WORKS. But I digress....

NOTE to those that dont know me and Prudence. Try it. Train conductor gets you laid.

Especially when they ask you what that envolves, and your answer is "remember school house rocks?" Well its like that. I put and but and or together and make them hook upright"

But keep in mind if she looks smarter than you, your profession is railroad logisitics.. ONly then can you break into school house rocks and look witty...

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Reading a new book by a favorite author. I get so involved I forget the funk. Or watching a tried and true comedy that I never get tired of seeing. During the summer, a day at the beach. I have never flashed a Wal Mart trucker, altho' a big truck snuck up on us once on a lonely road and probably saw other fun stuff going on in my vehicle. Trail Nazi, if you read this, do not repeat this to anyone we know.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
I can't believe this has gone on for so many posts without someone saying...

SEX

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
The first thing I thought of was sex, too and I was surprised no one had mentioned it. :)

I try to escape the suburbs as often as I can to head up to the White Mountains to hike, ski or ride my mountain bike. Reading a new book or going to a cool art exhibit are also great ways for me to escape.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
I rarely watch TV anymore, but I've found that watching old episodes of "Seinfeld" is highly therapeutic, guaranteed to make me laugh during dinner when I'm trying to unwind. They just don't write comedy like that anymore.

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
To bring me out of my funk is to have a girls' day with my cousin. Whenever we are together, we ignore others, make fun of others (particularly our family members), speak our own language, go dancing, have some Scotch and tantalizing frozen beverages, and anything else, as long as it is just great fun! If we can't get together, we chat on the phone for hours doing the same thing.

Other methods: I like to go to the movies, read a great book, eat Publix cupcakes, and go on a ROADTRIP. Not knowing the destination is always best, especially when you search for yummy food.

And ZG, your secret is safe with me because I could claim the same thing. ;) Except, I've ended up with a broken foot as the unfortunate prize.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
My wife and I did a retail therapy session yesterday...I think it worked, although by the time we got back from the mall we were really tired.

I got two pairs of pants, a dress shirt, and a new spring jacket. My wife got a pair of sunglasses, a new purse, and two new tops.

Ahhhhhh...that's better :)

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Tranplanner said:
My wife and I did a retail therapy session yesterday...I think it worked, although by the time we got back from the mall we were really tired.

I got two pairs of pants, a dress shirt, and a new spring jacket. My wife got a pair of sunglasses, a new purse, and two new tops.

Ahhhhhh...that's better :)
HA I did the same thing. I got some new pants and shirts -- and a $200 Ralph Lauren spring jacket for $20. Made me feel like Wynona.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I raked leaves and hunted down a pair of meadowlarks on a nice sunny day. It worked.

bturk said:

HA I did the same thing. I got some new pants and shirts -- and a $200 Ralph Lauren spring jacket for $20. Made me feel like Wynona.
You ARE a crazy jacket freak! :)

Queen B

Cyburbian
Generally I would dig in the dirt and plant something but haven't had time to been painting. Ahh the fresh smell of paint!
But the retail therapy thing works too.
It's all good.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Queen B said:
Generally I would dig in the dirt and plant something but haven't had time to been painting. Ahh the fresh smell of paint!
But the retail therapy thing works too.
It's all good.
Spring planting! I think I feel a thread coming on.

*wistful longing*
I shoveled the remaining snow out of my beds this weekend - we still had almost 18 inches on a bed very close to the house. i'm dying for my crocuses to pop up!

donk

Cyburbian
I have nearly three feet of snow on my daylily beds. Parts of my backyard have nearly 4 feet of snow. It is going to take a while to melt and be shovelled away.

I can't wait to see the spring "pookers" (a technical term for buds and plants).

I bet if I dug out where the hens and chicks(semperverium) are, they would be there green and waiting for the sun.

donk said:

I bet if I dug out where the hens and chicks(semperverium) are, they would be there green and waiting for the sun.
Our hens and chicks are about the only thing looking good outside. march is such an ugly month.

I like to wander the streets of Buffalo, which usually ends up with me alone and scared walking through the ghetto at night. So far no injuries or robberies.

But on the plus side I can tell you how to get anywhere!

Yodan731 said:
I like to wander the streets of Buffalo, which usually ends up with me alone and scared walking through the ghetto at night. So far no injuries or robberies.

But on the plus side I can tell you how to get anywhere!
My sister used to live in the ghetto of albany, and lost her car for a while (long story), so she had to take the bus home, late at night. she hated that part of it, but LOVED picking up all the ghetto lingo. So then it always made her happy to talk to people in her young urban youth talk. Fizz, yo.