• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Your first album (CD or tape)

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Here's an extension to the "skeletons" thread. What was the first CD you purchased with your own money. For those of use who are older, what was your first album or tape? I remember riding my bike to a local music store and plunking down my hard-earned cast to buy... "Paradise Theater" by Styx. It is now long-gone, never replaced when I dumped my record collection before moving from one apartment to another, maybe ten years ago.

Budgie

Cyburbian
First 5

1. Grease Soundtrack (purchased in 1979)
2. Star Wars Soundtrack (purchased in 1979)
3. Michael Jackson - Thriller (primarily for the Eddie Van Halen solo on "Beat It") (purchased in 1982)
4. AC/DC - Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap (purchased in 1982)
5. Van Halen - Van Halen I (purchased in 1982)

nerudite

Cyburbian
My first album was Blondie -- Parallel Lines. I felt so cool when I bought it, because it had a parental advisory sticker on it. My mom went up to the counter and said, "what's the sticker for?" and the guys said "the word 'ass' shows up in the lyrics." My mom told the guy that I knew way worse words than that, and let me get the album. I felt all badass for a 9 y.o.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Probably Platinum Blondes "Standing in the Dark" - on vinyl. Does anyone outside Canada even know who these guys are (were)?

el Guapo

Capitalist
First 45 - Brandy - Looking Glass (I think that was the band)
First LP - Rumors - Fleetwood Mack
Never Owned an 8-Track
First Cassette - Long Run - Eagles
First CD - Greatest Hits - Alman Bros.
First MP3 - The Blade Runner Soundtrack

jmf

Cyburbian
First (and only, unless you count the Disney read along stories) 45 - Reflex - Frankie Goes to Hollywood
First LP - Tracey Chapman - the one with Fast Car
Never Owned an 8-Track - ditto
First Cassette - Synchronicity - Police (a gift from a fairly hip grandfather)
First CD - not really sure but if I had to guess I would say the Joshua Tree - U2
First MP3 - none yet

donk

Cyburbian
First album I bought was probably The Who - Who's Next. I would have been 11or 12.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
K-Tel compilation called "Hit Explosion." Its still at Grandpa's.
Included hits by Laura Branigan, Haircut 100, Toni Basil, Survivor, Rush, Santana, Sergio Mendes, Flock of Seagulls, Pat Benatar, and more!

Habanero

Cyburbian
First cd- yeah, I bought Color Me Badd with my allowance as soon as it came out, otherwise I always ripped of my Mom's Beatles lp's.

BiteMeElmo

Cyburbian
First vinyl (I bought it at Woolco...any Canucks remember that place?): Hall and Oates - Big Bam Boom
First cassette: Billy Idol, self titled (the one with White Wedding and Dancing with Myself)
First CD: The Cult - Electric

Repo Man

Cyburbian
First tape: Styx - Kilroy Was Here or The Beach Boys "Good Vibrations"

First record with my own money: Thriller.

First CD: Pink Floyd- Dark Side of The Moon and Def Leppard Pyromania

First 8 Track: ACDC Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap (5 cents at a Church rummage sale)

First 7inch (or 45): Marty Robbins - A White Sport Coat (and a Pink Carnation) b/w El Paso, followed by "The Theme From The Greatest American Hero"

biscuit

Cyburbian
I can't remember exactly what the first album (tape) I purchased with my own money was, but I think it was either Depeche Mode "Violator," or Midnight Oil "Blue Sky Mine" - Two I later bought on CD and still listen to once every blue moon or so.

Belle

Cyburbian
Can't remember my first tape, but I remember very clearly that my first CD was

Madonna -- The Immaculate Collection

I still have it, though I've not listened to it in years

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
As previously mentioned:

First tapes Huey Lewis & the News - Sports and The cars - Heartbeat City.

First CD - The Misfits - Walk Among Us

First mp3 - Am I Evil, Metallica

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
First LP album was probably one (1) of these

Four Seasons - album with "Big Girl's Don't Cry"

OR

Bobby Darin "Greatest Hits'

OR

"Button-Down Mind Of Bob Newhart" (I still have this !!!)
_____

First cassette was, I think, Lighthouse (horns-based rock and roll band from Canada)
_____

First CD was Asleep At the Wheel (Wheel Keeps On Rollin').
_____

Too bad I lost so much of my vinyl.....it would look cool piled next to my Radiohead, Wilco, and Rent (Soundtrack).

Bear

BKM

Cyburbian
A Moody Blues compilation (I still love the Moody Blues)

I actually bought it because my folks were jazz buffs, and I thought they were a jazz band :)

Kansas Leftoverture - the start on my long and still ongoing journey into musical pretentiousness.Whatever happened to Kansas?

Black Sabbath-s/t

Jen

Cyburbian
Hmm the older sibs had all kinds of music they handed down or abandoned but I think Peter Frampton Live was the first LP i bought. That or a Led Zeppelin double ablum.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
8 track - Led Zeppelin in quadraphonic very cool. Whole lot a love is awesome in quad.

album - I think it was Ted Nugent Double Live Gonzo

CD - Best of Van Halen, but that was just a couple years ago

Cassette was probably Meat Loaf

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
The first few tapes I can remember buying for myself are the ubiquitous copy of "Thriller" and a few REM albums, "Document" and "Murmur." I still like REM but the stuff they put out when I was 12 is way better than it is now.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Greenescapist said:
I still like REM but the stuff they put out when I was 12 is way better than it is now.
Totally.... I still have all my old REM vinyl from when I was younger. Even Chronic Town and Murmur... I should really get that turntable up and running.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
I think I've never bought a cd for myself with my own money.
I've bought cds but for presents, and I can't remember the first one I bought :p

I buy a cd as a present for my brother and he tends to do the same, and since we have similar tastes in music, it's kinda like buying it for myself :p

biscuit

Cyburbian
Greenescapist said:
I still like REM but the stuff they put out when I was 12 is way better than it is now.
Amen brother! Murmer and Lifes Rich Pageant blow anything they've doen since Automatic for the People out of the water.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Huston said:
Van Halen = 1984
I was just going to post that...mine too. The record.

That still has to be one of the all time classic album covers.

H

Cyburbian
Mike D. said:
I was just going to post that...mine too. The record.

That still has to be one of the all time classic album covers.
I remember listening to it with all my friends on my buddy's dads stereo. It was, and still is AWESOME :)

EDIT: I bought the tape.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
First cd was Billy Squier Don't Say No in 1988. Did not even own cd player yet. Got one a few months later...which I still have and still works.

flip58

First Album

It was Abbey Road by the Beatles. Of course, my second album was a Bobby Sherman album....

Tom R

Cyburbian
tunes

The first LP I remember buying was Disraeli Gears by Cream, probably 1968.

Can't pin down the rest. Never owned an 8 track.

Miles Ignatius

Cyburbian
Introduction to Vinyl Junkiedom

My 1st? Is was 14 years old and seeking to break the bonds of the cultural rigidity set down by my parents and two older brothers in the basement of Sam Goody's in NYC, I procured a copy of Frank Zappa & The Mothers of Invention's "Absolutely Free."

I remember being attracted by the "free-form" cover art but became much more enamored of the contents...particularly "The Duke of Prunes" and "Brown Shoes Don't Make It"...anthems for a generation.

Thanks, big time, Frank.

martini

Cyburbian
First record? Thriller baby! I think I listened to it maybe twice....

First Tape? REM Document~still got it too.

First CD? absolutely no freaking clue. I had this clepto thing back when I was young, and probably never bought a CD till I was 18 or so. It was probably Pink Floyd the wall or something that was stolen first(Kmart was the easiest).